Archinect
anchor

survival guide to architectural internship

I am a young-ish architect in Seattle and have been asked to write a survival guide on architectural internship. The content is supposed to help recent grads and interns navigate through the reality of finding a job, IDP, registration, and other everyday work stuff like performance reviews and moonlighting.

I would like to include some stories from interns and other young architects to help illustrate some of the points and also share other's experiences (how boring it would be if this book was me just jabbering on about my own experiences.)

So based on other postings, I hope that there may be some of you on this list that would be interested in contributing to the book. I'll list some topics below and if you have something to say about one, just post something by Nov 5. I will check back then, but this will allow others to read and learn from your experiences as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Topics:
What IDP categories have been the hardest to complete?
How did you obtain IDP credits in these “harder-to-obtain” categories.
What does your firm do to support IDP?
Have you encountered firms/supervisors that have resisted helping you with IDP?
Your mentor – how did you meet and what do you do with him/her?
Your first interview – what was it like? What questions do you wish you asked?
Moonlighting – have you done it? what is your firm's position on it?

Oct 29, 04 10:45 pm
alphanumericcha

Let’s see, my first interview. It went something like this. I walk into a conference room. Nice looking older man well dressed sitting at one of the side chairs of a simple but nice quality conference table. Let’s call him Mr. Architect. Mr. Architect says, “Nice to meet you Jim. Please sit down. How was the traffic, find the place OK?”

I say, “Yes sir, your directions were fine. Thanks for asking.” Meanwhile I am noticing for the first time a blank sheet of Mylar laying on the table, and an ink pen resting on top.

Mr. Architect asks, “Please write the alphabet on that sheet of paper for a while and I’ll be back in a minute. Got some calls to make, please excuse me.”

After about 10 minutes of writing ABCDEFG… I sketch a little doodle in the corner and put a nicely lined box around it. You know with the overlapping lines and the little blobs at the ends. There’s nothing quite like ink on Mylar.

Mr. Architect comes back in, looks at my lettering my little doodle and smiles saying, “How soon can you start?” I say, “How about tomorrow?” Mr. Architect, “Fine – How about $10.00 dollars an hour?” A little concerned about the interview but needing a summer job other than mowing lawns I agree.

Now, with me having grown into the role of “Mr. Architect” I would ask something similar and equally benign of my potential employee. You see that interview was all well and good with me at that time in my life, not having received my degree and feeling like I know what this architecture business is already. I had no formalized and preconceived notions about the art and pain. I had none of the - Why don’t they see I can design circles around those bums?

Mr. and Mrs. Architect all want the same thing out of an intern looking for their first job in a firm. They want someone who can “letter a set of drawings” and add a little extra now and again. Professional growth comes with exposure to the right people at the right time. Reach for the stars, but you better have a tall-assed ladder nearby.

Oct 30, 04 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
JAG

On moonlighting - My firm (very large) does not neccesarily encourage moonlighting, however, the interesting thing is that their position has nothing to do with competition, stealin clients, lack of productivity at work, but more about potential liability and the diluting the firm's "Brand". In other words, if you moonlight, the firm doesn't want to be associated in any way in order to prevent the possibility of getting sued.

Oct 30, 04 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
A

IDP -
As an intern I had the toughest time getting IDP hours in the construction administration areas. Some could be attributed to me working in a large firm with many out of state projects, but my opinion was that they liked my productivity in the office more than my personal growth. While my employers were eager and excited to work with me on my IDP hours in the design/CD areas they were reluctant to spend money on teaching me something I hadn't yet learned. At first I brought up these concerns with my direct supervisors who always claimed they supported IDP and wanted to help me out. Eventually the lip service got too much to handle so I just went directly to our const. admin. staff and asked to ride along to construction meetings, etc. They were very receptive and soon I had completed my hours but did end up spending many OT hours playing catch up on the projects I wasn't working on while out on the job site. Nobody is going to hold your hands and do you IDP for you.

That first firm I worked in wasn't very active in IDP. Out of a staff of over 50 architects there were very few of us that were interns. Some of the younger prinicpals were eager to set up a proper IDP program but older management wasn't very receptive, probably because of the small intern population. Speaking to friends at the time in other firms most didn't have a very ellaborate IDP program and most supervisors even encouraged "cheating" on the hours to hurry up and get the interns to the ARE exam. I grew quite cynical of the entire process and still hold those feelings. It is another step in our education as architects that isn't much fun but just as necessary as obtaining your college degree.

Nov 1, 04 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
A

Interview story from a firm I didn't work for. This firm was across the country from where I was attending school at the time.

Mr. Architect - "So, how do you like our city?"

me - It's nice, haven't ever been here before

Mr. Architect - "The city is a dump and that's why we focus our work on the suburbs."

me - Really? I see great potential in this city. Does historic renovation, urban renewal ever come up?

Mr. Architect - "Sometimes but that isn't our work. So, we read your resume and it looks good."

me - Do you have any questions? Would you like to see my portfolio?

Mr. Architect - "No, we like what you got on paper and I'd just like to show you around the firm."

me thinking - (hmm, I flew all the way out here for a firm tour)

Mr. Architect (after my tour) - "I just know we are going to offer you something. We'll talk about you in our monday meeting and I'll get back to you."

They did offer me a job but I didn't accept. Just an example of how strange an interview can be. Don't expect this as normal.

Nov 1, 04 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

One unique interview experience:

Mr. Architect.: So you're from small town in Texas.

Yes.

Mr. Architect.: Do you know so and so?

Yes, she was my second grade teacher.

Mr. Architect.: Really, she is my Aunt.

"chit chat"

Mr. Architect.: So you obviously do good work. (while flipping through my portfolio) Are you involved in any outside activities not related to architecture? What do you do on the weekend?

I enjoy the outdoors. Hunting, fishing, biking etc.

Mr. Architect.: Oh good we have several people who enjoy similar activities at the office. What else do you do?

Well, I like a good football game every once in awhile.

Mr. Architect.: Do you drink?

Yes occasionally I like to have a good time. I'm a pretty easy going person.

Mr. Architect.: That’s good. Its extremely important that you "fit in" at our small firm. You see, we're probably the only firm you'll be interviewing with that has an indoor pool and keg in the office.

Really, that sounds great.

Mr. Architect.: We like to joke around a lot. Can you take a little bit of kidding every once in awhile?

Sure, but I’ll worn you I can dish it out as well. Can you take it back?

Mr. Architect.: haha. Well, we have a few spots open and your on top of the list. After you finish interviewing with these other guys, come by and we'll go out to dinner.

That was the strangest interview I had ever had. I ended up taking a different job, but always wondered about the indoor pool in the office.

Nov 1, 04 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
ksArcher

A,

why is that experience strange? Just the fact that you came all that way and expected them to look through your portfolio?

I don't think the design work of an undergrad matters a whole lot to firms when looking for a summer internship. If you had already graduated, then that is cause for confusion!

Jun 12, 05 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: