Archinect
anchor

une tres petit commande (a very small comission)

Distant Unicorn

Hey unemployed architects (namely freshly graduate, unemployed and so forth)!

I have an idea!

You need real portfolio work from real clients to get a real job right? How about we either trade commissions or buy them from one another for a very small fee? You know, so that way there's a letter, correspondence, a check number (or paypal transaction) that you've done real work... a.k.a. evidence!

I would be willing to some an architectural image from someone for $20-40 dollars and write a letter of recommendation as your client.

If enough all of you do this and trade it all around, we would be doing real work and no one would be really out very much money. And that would demonstrate some value and some experience that you've done something from someone else.

Jan 24, 10 9:45 pm
AquillatheNun

now this sounds promising!

Jan 24, 10 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

ya know.. the deadlines for the St Louis Arch and Toronto Gardiner competitions are both this week..

Jan 25, 10 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Yes, lets commodify our work experience and cause inflation of that commodity. Sounds like a great idea.

Jan 25, 10 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

y'all should consider establishing cooperatives to volunteer concept design think tanks, to inner city community boards, CDCs, NGOs and other worthy causes. Beautiful your gang-infested/graffiti-covered block, convert your blighted bandoned warehouses into lofts, creative district scale solar, etc, etc. Ask them what pet proejcts could benefit from such input. Once the economy begins to improve and these organizations start to recover their funding streams, you would, I imagine, be in prime position to get the actual commissions that will inevitably follow...

Jan 25, 10 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Urbanist, good response. I'm in a bad mood so my contribution was slightly (OK, very) sarcastic. That seems to be much more productive and beneficial to everyone.

Jan 25, 10 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Hmmm... design competitions and igniting gentrification.

Oh, yeah... these sound like great ideas.

Jan 25, 10 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
d-arch

I thought being involved in the ideation of urban regeneration, pie-in-the-sky, 'wouldn't it be nice' kinda stuff disqualified you from actually DOING that work when it becomes real, to avoid the appearance of impropriety or an unfair selection process... right?

Jan 26, 10 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

d-arch,

No. Only if the pie-in-sky stuff is a competition-type ting where they make it clear that you are disqualifying yourself. If its a public project they will eventually have to issue a public RFP, but the more you know about the site and are liked by the stakeholders, in many cases, the better chances you will have.

In general, I can say with certainty that MANY such RFPs are wired for the firms/people who first came up with the general concepts that led to the RFP in the first place. The Toronto waterfront stuff is a case-in-ponit.

Jan 26, 10 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: