Archinect
anchor

Am I just old and Crazy considering becoming an Architect?

crazyOld

Hello People,
I am new here. I am 37 years old, married with two children. I have a BA in Comparative Literature, but have run my own business as a Photographer for the past 10 years. I'm burned out on Photography, and I am seriously considering persuing as Architecture.
I am taking this 6 week jump start course at UCLA this Summer:
http://www.summer.ucla.edu/institutes/Architecture/overview.htm

So my question is. Am I crazy? Am I just too old for this? I'm not in it to get rich, but want to be making enough to make the education expense worth it. Should I go for my Masters degree or should I go for a second Bachelors?

I'm curious your thoughts on this. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Crazy Old lady.

Jan 17, 10 4:43 pm
liberty bell

This is terrible, but reveals how deeply ingrained are our gender biases and beliefs: While reading your post, I assumed you're a man, therefore the main provider for your family. The second I read your sign off crazy old lady, my immediate thought was "Oh, she's got a husband, so he can support her while she tries being an architect."

Terrible, huh? I'm a woman myself, but I still feel all these very traditional gender roles somewhere deep in me.

It does raise the questions though: do you have to support your family while you run down this path, possibly fruitlessly? Architecture is a long challenging low-reward profession, and school, especially Master's programs, are expensive. There's nothing I'd rather do, though, so I can understand others' desire to try pursuing it.

I'd compare prices on Masters v. 5-year Bachelors and let that influence your decision. A Master's would of course be quicker, but may cost twice as much. With a BA and ten years business experience, you'd probably be interesting to a Master's program.

Good luck and have fun in the summer program - it will help you a lot in considering whether this is a good idea for you.

Jan 17, 10 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Not too old... When I was in M.Arch there were a few students in my class that were upper 30's or over 40...

Go for an M.Arch., you've got the required 4 year bachelors degree and your peers will likely be more mature students, many of them will have worked for a number of years before going back to professional school.

Crazy? No... Not crazy but... keep in mind that this is quite an intense course of study, a long hours of work and while more interesting than alot of other professions, may not necessarily bring in the big $$$... And it is a cyclical industry (but then, what isn't? most businesses I'd imagine are having trouble in this economy...) Although... I've been unemployed for the last month or so, so can't really say with confidence how consistent a career it will be... So you need to love it, I think if you are passionate about it, and follow through and willing to work hard, do interesting work, meet interesting people on the job and in school, and that will get you through challenges, then it's probably a good idea...

Yeah, you can probably get a good sense of whether it's for your by doing the summer program... You only live once, so do what you love! There is always also demand for architectural photographers too (could be an asset to architecture firms for their marketing)! :)

Jan 17, 10 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
crazyOld

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the replies. LibertyBell, I think it's totally normal...your thought process. I am married, but working less would be a hardship. However, that said, my husband is extrememly supportive. I am looking forward to the Summer Program because I think it will give me an idea if it is something I would be good at. Although I am design oriented, I have never been formally educated and I'm not sure how I will do. It's a toss up. I could see myself doing great or totally sucking.
In the end, as long as I am making *some* money I will be fine. I don't have to make the big bucks. I actually am really interested in a lot of design for poorer countries and other non-profit work as well. Green sustainable design is also something that drives me.

One thing that strikes me is the work involved. I know school will be intense. It's the jobs afterwards. Don't get me wrong. I'm not afraid to work hard. I've worked hard to build a pretty successful business. But my job affords me a lot of flexibility. I work from home. I have an artist brain and often work odd hours and really love to be able to drop off my daughters to school and pick them up. I am more than willing to take a pay cut in order to have a little more freedom. Is it realistic to think that at some point in my carreer I could work freelance in some way? What kinds of jobs are out there for freelancers?

I have to say, I'm laughing at myself as I write this. I answer questions like this for emerging photographers all the time. In photography, my answer is always to know how to market yourself and continuously sharpen your skills and you'll be fine. But here I am asking the pro's the same questions. I'm nervous and excited.

Thanks again for your input. I really appreciate it.

Jan 17, 10 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
october

What bRink says about intense and time consuming is very, very true. Whether or not this would be a good idea, I couldn't say, but buy in from your family, I think is crutial.

I didn't have my daughter yet when I earned my MArch--it was a challenge for my young marriage and I know, for myself, I wouldn't have been able to put into my studies what I had to if I were raising childen, too. But, some people do and it can work out just fine. Not to tell you what to do, but just, hopefully, something to consider and account for as you think about all this.

Jan 17, 10 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Yeah, you can do freelance work, or get licensed and start your own practice... There are some people I know with families who work 4 day weeks or work from home some days... I think it depends on the firm but some offices will be flexible... Also architects tend to be creatives and some work odd hours too, I think generally work hours are more flexible than some professions so long as you put in your hours and get the job done and deliver on the projects...

Jan 17, 10 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

schedule flexibility is harder around deadlines, and there always seems to be deadlines. it is possible though to manage the whole deal, if you work at it. finding the right office and so on may take time, but is certainly possible.

as far as having kids, my first daughter was born when i was doing first year m.arch. my wife stayed at home and i worked and went to school. it was a challenge but with my wife's support (and vice versa) it was not impossible. hours were long, but i chose to not work in studio at school all that much so i could be home with family (i still got exceptional grades so this is not the big deal some might like to make it out to be), and that made the whole process work just fine. I work in Tokyo now but unlike most fathers here who never see their children (except on sundays) i can say i have been here for most every breakfast and supper and seldom miss the evening reading of the books to the girls.

if it is possible here, it must be possible in more forgiving cultures than this one.

about age, don't worry about it. m.arch probably will offer opportunity to meet more of your peers if that is a concern. good luck!

Jan 17, 10 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh yeah, I should add: the age thing is no big deal. For some firms, especially smaller firms, it may even be considered a benefit to bring in an employee who's not in their 20s, and you'll obviously get more out of school as a return student.

I have to warn, though, that the schedule of being an architecture employee could really be a challenge. Many, many of the women I know, myself included, left formal employment shortly after having children - we work for ourselves, or do contract work. It's possible to do both, but very challenging, especially (as jump says) around deadlines.

Jan 17, 10 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

I have heard of a few stories of women who struggled to balance having children with forwarding their architecture careers... I've also heard of some women who in recessions were the first to be let go due to their family commitments (not sure that this is ethical, but it is what happens), but because of this, they are "on and off" in employment due to the inconsistency of their work months vs. family obligations... One case, an architect was on and off in employment due to her family commitments but after her kids were all grown up, she came back and is now a partner at her firm... On the other hand if your kids are already at a certain age and don't require you taking large lengths of time off, you're probably be okay to work, just as in any career?

It is a cyclical profession and time commitments can be heavy, but I think it also really depends on the culture at that firm... There are some offices that are more family oriented than others, some offices tend to be a little more 9 to 5 while others are quite a bit more intense...

Jan 17, 10 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

Just give up on that pursuit and go become a doctor and find the cure for cancer!

Jan 18, 10 4:11 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I am not in the business of squelching people's dreams, however, unless you A) would consider remaining in school for the next 7-10 years, B) are independently wealthy, or C) would be perfectly comfortable working for free, this may not be something worth considering. I am not exaggerating when I say that probably 75% of the people I know who put in the time in architecture school are either laid off, never found a job out of school, or are not working in architecture at all. This is pertinent because if you want to receive a truly rounded architectural education, you'll want to seek out internships, and there are frighteningly few to be had.

Sadly there are simply too many architects for the world right now, and the ones that are out there looking for jobs don't need more competition, especially when the competition involves someone who's willing to work for less. If you are REALLY serious about wanting to design buildings, and it's your passion and you want to pursue it, I would STRONGLY consider looking into MBA or real estate development programs FIRST... this will give you a strong foundation into managing a business, and ideally, how to perhaps secure your own funding for buildings. Then go back and get your architecture done once the market has stabilized, and BINGO, you're a one-stop building-maker.

PS. Notice I didn't mention age at all... age is just a number. We all had classmates that were "non-traditional students" ... it's not really an issue.

PPS. Basically just do whatever Old Fogey says, LOL.

Jan 18, 10 4:39 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I actually agree with everything Old Fogey says. There are lots of jobs within the design and construction field that don't involve being licensed.

I want to dispute one bit of it however: On top of that, this profession eats its young. There's a big belief in hazing - in terms of pay, in terms of time, in terms of how your committment is perceived. It's stressful and part of the tradition. You can't count on a flexible situation, or something that respects your family time, your current experience or your already long-established routines. As a nearing-40 woman, I imagine you are confident and worldy enough to be able to resist any job that won't allow you a certain amount of flexibility. Frankly, part of the reason architecture is so able to eat its young is that they ARE young: they are fresh grads with no idea that a normal business office doesn't require 80 hours of week on a paycheck for 40 that always seems to arrive at least a week after payday. Some real scum-suckers in our profession are only too happy to take advantage of that mythology of martyrdom to 1. avoid ever having to actually learn to run a profitable business and 2. abuse young interns in pursuit of their self-identity as a suffering artist. It's all bullshit, and a woman of 40 with kids will be able to navigate around it.

Jan 18, 10 8:36 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

I'd give you the same answer that I'd give some 18 year old just out of senior high - don't go into Architecture. Your timing is off.

Right now we are in the midst of an industry wide recession unlike anything seen in generations. Estimates vary but there is anywhere from 25% to 50+% unemployment amongst Architects. That number grows each year as the universities keep graduating more and more people with Architecture degrees and firms reeling from declining billings are reluctant to add any staff. Additionally we just got off a huge building boom. Sectors like retail, commercial office and residential are massively over built. As has been said at AIA conventions and other industry functions, "We are never going back to 'Business as Usual.'"

So, dropping $50+ grand on a fancy degree for a high voltility profession that has low pay considering the education with a job market that is probably in a decade or longer employment limbo...yeah, not a good idea IMO.

Jan 18, 10 9:11 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Crazy,

You're not.

My hunch is that the UCLA program will help with your quandary. (I did my master's at UCLA, and it's a great place.)
You'll learn from interesting people. You'll work on intriguing projects. You'll bond with nice folks. And you'll work well into the wee hours as the other parts of your live recede.

Architecture is a calling of sorts. It sounds as though you've already been bitten by this bug, and it can be an exciting field. But formal training then internship is a slog. The posts above--some of which I've actually read--well catalogue the plusses and minuses.

My advice is:

1) go to the summer program
2) have a ball
3) if you think architecture school is for you, re-read this thread
3a) apply to schools well-informed of the costs as well as benefits, OR
3b) re-read closely OldFogey's insightful and informative post, and find a related creative outlet that bypasses the need for school.

Good luck!

Jan 18, 10 11:52 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Well, let me just start out by saying that one of my classmates that I still keep in touch with was a mother of two. She never seems to regret going back to school to get her degree, even when she couldn't initially find a job. She now helps out a husband and wife architecture studio on her own schedule and/or as they need her.

I do agree with some on here stating that there are certainly other opportunities within the field not requiring a license or even a degree. The most interesting to me personally would be the ability to mix your interest in architecture and your experience with photography.

However, I'm not as pessimistic as others that flat out say there will be no market for someone that would come out with a degree in say 4+ years. I think this is strongly tied to the kind of market you are in or looking to be in (geographically and construction type). Depending on where you are or planning to be, if there are smaller firms specializing in residential, renovation, limited commercial retail/restaurant work, its possible that in 5 years or less there will be demand.

Optimistically, there will also be a shift in our field that will allow more work in different areas allowing employment even if its not the traditional architect role. And its just a matter of fact that some of those with architecture degrees that currently don't have work will have to shift to other fields. It just so happens that many of us that come out of architecture school take for granted the idea that once we graduate we'll find work following that traditional path. But there are so many graduates of other degrees that move into other semi-related (and sometimes unrelated) fields, and NOT feel like a failure. I, for one, appreciated the education that provided me opportunities to explore and see the world as an achitect would even if I don't ultimately don't end up following the traditional path.

Not to sound condescending, but it also might be worthwhile to get a realistic view of the profession. And my use of "Realistic" isn't meant to be necessarily more "practical". My experience has been that its much more meaningful and interesting than what I intially thought, and at other times mindumbingly boring/uninteresting, and most often everything in between. I tend to believe pretty much every profession is misperceived, but I (admittedly biased) feel the architect is one of the most misunderstood. The grass does always look greener on the other side, but just because there is such a saying doesn't mean the grass really isn't greener or green at all. And sometimes, you can't tell the difference until you're actually standing on the other side.

Jan 18, 10 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Obstsalat

just tossing in my opinion on the whole "working for an architect for long enough until you can sit for your exams, instead of going to school for it." All fine and dandy, but in reality, it's incredibly difficult to get a job in an architecture office even with a master's degree, what are the chances of a firm hiring someone without a degree when there are thousands of experienced laid-off architects vying for the same job?

Jan 19, 10 6:58 am  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

Kinda the same thing here in Wisconsin...a total of 7 years education + experience to sit for the state exam. Accredited degrees count for 5 years, unaccredited bachelors that focus on architecture count for 4.

I would have to assume though that employers would give priority to people with an M. Arch as far as gaining the experience needed to pass the licensing exam, people with only 4 year degrees would be less likely to get exposure to everything needed to pass an exam. I don't know that's how it happens, but I could just see firms trusting people with Masters degrees over people with only a Bachelors.

From what I gather from Obs comment above is that Bachelors degrees are fairly worthless, except for getting into a Masters program.

Basically unless you're at least a registered architect with a Masters degree, you're pretty much SOL in this economy?

Jan 19, 10 8:57 am  · 
 · 
bRink

There needs to be a distinction between a four year unaccredited degree (BA or B Sc - which are intended to be architectural studies in a liberal arts and sciences program) and a 5 year accredited bachelor of architecture degree (B Arch - which is a professional course of study)... The 5 year B Arch is the same thing as an M Arch in the eyes of employers, both are accredited professional degree programs...

In order for a degree to be accredited, it needs to meet certain core course program requirements: 2 semesters of technical drawing classes, 2+ semesters of structures, 3 semesters in building / construction systems, 2+ semesters in environmental systems and controls (including usually something about passive these days), 2 or 3 semesters in professional practice classes - I believe it's 2 that cover contracts and services, etc. and 1 that is about business aspects of practice, 2+ architectural history survey semesters, a certain requirement for advanced graduate seminar courses, and the completion of a graduation thesis (in which the candidate needs to come up with their own project based on research (usually a graduation paper), manage their own project, design, present, and defend that thesis in front of a jury... That is half the degree, the other half being design studios... It's intended to be a broad mix of technical, design, and theory courses, so there is value there...

In this economic climate, I wonder if going back to school may actually be a good idea to wait out this recession... It's true, the enormous debt that you might accumulate would be an issue, but there may be ways to avoid the debt... scholarships and teaching assistantships, etc...

Here's a small rant about higher education: I think American higher education is ridiculously expensive (it becomes a privelege of the wealthy or those willing to take on enormous debt)... In a public school system like in Canada, it is a much more affordable investment if you live there, in Canada for residents, the cost of a 4 year bachelors degree + masters is probably less than a year of tuition at Harvard... In Canada, truth is that the best public schools are actually more difficult to get into than the private schools, and are usually more competitive since the cost issue is greatly reduced...

If I were to choose a degree program in the States right now, I would probably avoid the hugely expensive private schools and try to go to somewhat more affordable state schools which are also good: University of Washington, University of California - UCLA, etc., University of Michigan, Oregon, etc. Honestly I am not sure the price tag is worth it, career wise, to go to an expensive private university...

Another thought: you could consider applying to work in architecture offices in a marketing role? Photography / marketing / office management skillls could be quite useful to firms right now...

Jan 19, 10 11:07 am  · 
 · 
Kim607

I'm applying to M.Arch programs this year. I'll be 30 when I graduate, which I know isn't bad but feels old to me. (26 now)

I've done a lot of research and self reflection in the last year before applying. I've learned that architecture is a field that thrives with life experience. I'm married with a dog and a mortgage, this has completely changed how I look at the world and the buildings we live in. Because of this I think that you probably have a lot to offer a school and your fellow classmates.

I would look into Master's programs, you can probably but together an amazing portfolio with your photography and educational background. Apply and see what happens, you can't loose.

Jan 19, 10 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

strange. and here's me thinking i want to run away from the office chair, the site office, the noise, the concrete, the tick tock of many cholesterol laden sad hearts, the compromises difficult money... and become a photographer. trade places, crazy old lady?

Jan 20, 10 6:18 am  · 
 · 
tuna

crazy old hag - age has nothing to do with this profession. OldFogey’s got it in the nose. The only thing you should be concern is catching up with the younger kids. I always hated taking 5 times longer explaining something to someone older than me on how to do something compare to someone my age. I can have a conversation while talking a leak in the bathroom explaining something advance to the other person in the stall and he doesn’t need to jot down on paper. The older person I would have to sit down with them, guide them step by step until they do it at least 3 times. It drove me crazy. Also, don’t be designing shoe box things and just have an open mind and think outside the box, if you do go that route.

Jan 20, 10 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
U N ger1906

Stay away.

Jan 22, 10 12:54 am  · 
 · 
crazyOld

I appreciate all of this input. I have been reading and slowly digesting it all. I am going to take the series of classes at UCLA and start from there. I am currently taking some art/design classes at the moment as well. Since it is less about the money for me and more about being creative and working on that side of the business, I am leaning towards trying to get a job/internship at a firm here and go from there. Although the job market is tough like Obstasalat said, I do have a few good connections here. I don't expect to get paid nessesarily, but I am sure I could get in the door in one manner or another.
I am so glad I posted this, it just might have saved me from spending a lot of money on higher education that I might not nessesarily use.
Tammuz, go for it. There is money in photography if you are good and market yourself right. I personally suck at still life. I'm a people photographer.
Thanks again!

Jan 22, 10 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

Tuna

is this always the case?

crazy old hag - age has nothing to do with this profession. OldFogey’s got it in the nose. The only thing you should be concern is catching up with the younger kids. I always hated taking 5 times longer explaining something to someone older than me on how to do something compare to someone my age.

If so, why do you think it is - the technology different generations use or is possible that old people don't have the short term memory capabilities that young people have? Or is it possibly a difference in intellectual curiosity levels?

Jan 22, 10 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

rethinkit.....It’s the same concept as if a child learns a new language at an early age versus an adult that learns the same language at mid-adulthood. Studies show that the brain is still growing and easier for one to accept new information at an earlier age. The same applies when one is continuing through school. Information is easier to absorb. So once one is finished with schooling, we disconnect from school and apply the things we learned. So an adult trying to learn the same language sereveral years later becomes scared making mistakes when speaking that language. A child has very little worries in effort to speak or making grammatical errors.
Fresh kids or transfers students that just focus on schooling, do better as opposed to those that took time off or a break from school. Technology is one small factor. Older persons have more responsibilities especially if they are married with children. They are more concern about spending time with the kids than spending the maximum time on designing or messing around without a care in the world. You don’t remember fooling around on a program because you loved it or had an interested in it and stayed in studio till the crack of dawn? Not to say that the hags here won’t be great at this but there are changes that suggests that she will take longer to learn in this field. So it’s never too late to learn. I had people in my school up to the age of 60 that were still continuing their education. They weren’t dealing much with advance computational techniques but simple artistic gestures that are different than what we see in parametric applications.

I guess in other words, you see people driving slow on the highway. Some drive faster than others. But in the end, we still get to the same destination. Some drive in style, some drive safely, some drive on motorcycles. Some even walk or take the subway. But we all agree that we hate slow motorists.

Jan 22, 10 7:48 pm  · 
 · 

oh tuna, may you never age.

students are much more tentative than i am, old as i am. age gives confidence as much as youth. my students are faaaar more worried about failing than i am because i have learned to deal with it.

It is frankly annoying how scared all you young folk are ;-)

i haven't learned new software lately but everyday remains learning experience. its just that now i am learning about contracts and price negotiations and client-relationship skills instead of how to move a mouse and type in code.

age doesn't matter. the only thing that really matters is how to manage time. it isn't impossible.

Jan 23, 10 3:33 am  · 
 · 
tuna

I was hoping someone would bring this up. The way I see it is that we spent all of our childhood, adolescent and some adult years in school, right? And for what? It’s not like I’m using the quadratic equation or dissecting frogs at my current or past jobs. I like to believe that we spent most of our time learning how to socialize and interact with people. I didn’t really care about most subjects in high school anyways. It was all about lunch breaks and how people perceive you. If some nerd in front wanted to go to the board and solve for “x”, I didn’t care. Nor if the gothic kid in the back row wanted to carve out his initials on the desk, I didn’t really care either. I was more of the kid that was never there because I was chasing an empty pipedream.

In our field, age doesn’t matter. But during schooling it does. Had you gone continuously from high school through your bachelors, you would have been a prime candidate for learning tools. No theory, just tools and skills. You don’t really pick up theory until you go to the graduates program. And why? Because the program thinks you have mastered and matured enough to developed ideas and use the tools you’ve learned to branch and explore something incredible.
An older person starting fresh, has the advantage over those kids that are continuing from high school or college. The older person brings in wisdom. They reflect their life wisdom into their projects and manage themselves adequately as oppose to the young kid that has the best project in the class that probably has some visual eye candy of a project but can’t worth a damn explain to the jury the basics fundamentals of his project. Why? Because he spend most of his time learning those tools to where it got him. The older person can talk for hours because he brings everything to the table; especially life experience. But at the same time, his project may not be as eye-pleasuring as the kid that nearly wetted his pants, tap-dancing and avoiding questions from the jury as what materials is your project made from? Not to say that every student is like that but it all goes back to how one socializes and interacts with others.

So sure, you can be at the top of your class, but when you reach to the real world at some company, you’re a waste of company’s time because you don’t really have any work experience but know how to paint a pretty picture. But if you’re lucky, then they show you how the business works. And little by little, you start interacting with the client’s contacts and you start leaving the skills you learned from school and pick up new ones. I don’t think I have much use for a glue gun now. And then there are some that don’t want to leave or abandoned those tools but develop them even more, sharpening them more as technology advances. So the question comes to what type of person do you want to be?

My guess is that the person you want to be is the student that sat in the middle of the class. You could talk to anyone and not get in trouble a whole lot. Best part was there were more chances of sitting next to a nerd so you always had the right answers and have more time to doodle on your peachy folder until you drifted away mindlessly until next period when you get to see the blond headed girl that you can’t stop thinking about.

Jan 23, 10 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
collartim

Tuna really gets straight to the heart of the matter. If you have any doubts as to Tuna's insight, reread this sentence: "No theory, just tools and skills." Tuna goes on to discuss "eye-pleasuring" and "visual eye candy." This is great stuff, people. Just when you thought Tuna couldn't impart any more wisdom, Tuna comes out with the following gem: "Because he spend most of his time learning those tools to where it got him." Astounding.

These are classic remarks. Tuna uses terrific, colorful language to make key points, talking about pant-wetting and tap-dancing and, "how one socializes and interacts with others."

I urge you to reread all of Tuna's posts. These posts are filled to a surfeit with wisdom and rhetorical flourishes on par with some of our greatest thinkers. One is left wondering, "who IS this TUNA, and how might I best glean the abundance of knowledge Tuna has to offer?" Again, I say to you, reread the posts. Savor the Tuna posts like fine wine. You will not be sorry.

Jan 24, 10 6:34 am  · 
 · 
EFAWarch

"Crazy" - that describes a state of mind. Are you crazy? If you've already been successful in one business, have a functional family and are considering a career change, I don't think that constitutes "crazy", it simply means you’re normal. We all get burned out.

After 20 years in the architecture profession I decided to return to school and finish my masters. Yes, I was the oldest in the class followed by 2 others near my age and yes, I had buildings completed that were older than some of the professors and most of the students. My goal was to refocus and recharge. It partially worked.

The answer to your question - you can't choose architecture, it has to choose you. It begins with understanding who you are, what you want to do in the field and asking how deep is your passion. It's about service as much as creating. It begins and ends with people.

If this is muse, then save your money and explore something else. However if this is something that you can commit to for the rest of your life, then go for it. Before making your decision consider this, most successful architects die at their desk and/or are financially broke (Kahn, Wright, etc.). Good luck!

Jan 24, 10 9:25 am  · 
 · 
crazyOld

I want to first thank you all for your input. I've been absorbing it for the past couploe of weeks. Not sure where this journey is going to take me. but I am going to follow through with these classes and just see.

That all said. For all I know this video may be all over the architecture sites everywhere. But if it isn't I wanted to share it with you. Please put it in full screen. That is very important. Also suffer throught the beginning. Because this artist clearly loves film and architecture the same. Enjoy and Thanks again!

http://vimeo.com/7809605

Feb 4, 10 3:58 am  · 
 · 
Piggy

Don't be stupid--->RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN.

Feb 4, 10 4:19 am  · 
 · 
skotchtape

crazyOld
Age doesn't matter. At the end of the day, it comes down to two things. One, what you truly want to do in this one life we live, second, work hard until you feel it. Architecture is definitely not easy, having been in the field for the past 8 yr and now going back to school this year. Don't do it unless you're 120% ready. There are alot of students out there who'll go through the program not knowing the program and not knowing themselves, in other words they're lying to themselves w/out realizing, they have an infatuation with the field.
For the time, energy (physical, psychological), and money spent, I would only do it if you're definite. Other than that, it is an amazing field, endless questions to be asked and investigated.

btw, thanks for posting the link to the third & the seventh, it is one of the most beautiful animations I've ever seen. It took my breath away

Apr 19, 10 10:02 am  · 
 · 
nina0425

Crazy Old.
Don't Do it. Not worth it. Be prepared to Starve

Apr 20, 10 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
nina0425

Crazy Old.
Don't Do it. Not worth it. Be prepared to Starve

Apr 20, 10 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

Crazy Old

Just Do it - the only real problem is listening to negative people who offer discouragement - Here in San Francisco, I came accross a bumper sticker that said "Don't allow people who gave up on thier dreams to discourage you from your dreams" There are many NaySayers. I didn't start architecture school until I was 50 - but I learned the latest technology - Rhino, BIM and on graduation day, was hired by a major architecture firm to perform 3D production(BIM modeling) on many commercial projects - then 16 months later got laid off - then constantly redoing portfolio projects, and learning the latest Revit2010, I landed another job 15 months later at a major firm doing details on Hospital Design. that assignment ended, and I am interviewing for another assignment. Is this worth it? I just recieved an e-mail from a friend who is retiring. Is it worth it?

ITS WHAT I DO - think about it

NEVER HAVE DOUBTS

Apr 20, 10 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

Crazy Old

Just Do it - the only real problem is listening to negative people who offer discouragement - Here in San Francisco, I came accross a bumper sticker that said "Don't allow people who gave up on thier dreams to discourage you from your dreams" There are many NaySayers. I didn't start architecture school until I was 50 - but I learned the latest technology - Rhino, BIM and on graduation day, was hired by a major architecture firm to perform 3D production(BIM modeling) on many commercial projects - then 16 months later got laid off - then constantly redoing portfolio projects, and learning the latest Revit2010, I landed another job 15 months later at a major firm doing details on Hospital Design. that assignment ended, and I am interviewing for another assignment. Is this worth it? I just recieved an e-mail from a friend who is retiring. Is it worth it?

ITS WHAT I DO - think about it

NEVER HAVE DOUBTS

Apr 20, 10 6:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: