Archinect
anchor

'Cause the field needs more job seekers (jumping back in after some time)

october

I'm looking for tips, ideas, thoughts, etc. about looking for design work after some years off.

Basically, I graduated with my M ARCH and had a baby and have been a homemaker and part time certification coordinator (non-design field) for the last 10 years.

A few years back I updated my AutoCAD skills, and I've reworked my portfolio.

On the plus side, our household isn't in dire straights and I'm not unemployed, but on the minus side, of course, it's a terrible time and it's been 10 years.

Any ideas?

Dec 27, 09 1:10 pm
LML

download sketchup, free version--ACAD is probably going away soon, and you need to start getting some 3D skills.

Dec 27, 09 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'd suggest looking in your area for sole proprietor practices - the kind of people who do remodel work, light commercial, residential - they might be more likely to take someone on part-time or on an as-needed basis, just as a way to get back into the field while maintaining the flexibility that your kid(s) probably require (I'm in a somewhat similar situation as a mother).

Also, frankly, firms headed by women might be a better opportunity too - and there really are quite a few sole prop. women-owned firms out here in the world, women who faced the mother-professional struggle and solved it by striking out on their own.

But yes, it's a terrible time to be looking, a hideously awful time in fact, so don't get discouraged if you can't find anything!

Dec 27, 09 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
october

Thanks LML and liberty bell--I appreciate the help!

Sketchup, huh? Too bad since I'm good with AutoCAD, but to have things moving to a program with a free download version and free online learning is the next best thing, I suppose.

Dec 28, 09 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

While SketchUp is the 3D program of choice for architects (when Rhino is clearly superior) it might be more beneficial to just skip that and start learning Revit instead. Not only will you get the 3D skills (to some extent), you will also start getting familiar with BIM, which really is the future of the profession.

3D modeling is already old news and there is no shortage of people who can do it. While REVIT is not exactly "cutting edge" software, it's only been within the last 2, maybe 3 years that offices have really started to embrace it's use. However there are still many offices still toiling away with AutoCAD who will likely start considering the upgrade in the next few years (especially with more stringent National CAD standards that almost necessitate the use of BIM software). I would think it might be more beneficial to be pretty well versed in REVIT so that when the time comes you might be of more value to a prospective employer.

Although in this job market, it's not what you know, but who you know.

Dec 28, 09 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
october

Now that's not as good, .._.-_._ , since it involves a fair amount of cash, but good to know and I will look into it.

Is there a quick way to explain how this is different from 3D solids in AutoCAD, Microstation, etc?

Back in the day, I did learn Form-Z, but I'm thinking that's probably as useful now as the Pascal I learned to program in once upon a time.

Dec 28, 09 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Check into it. Autodesk has actually been one of the few places that has recognized the vast amount of unemployment and has had various promotions to offer student licenses, classes, etc. At the very least you can get a 30 day trial from Autodesk.

3D modeling programs, in general, fall into 2 camps. Solid based modeling, like you have experienced in Form-Z, and surface based modeling, which I believe SketchUp is. For me, the biggest difference is how you approach modeling something. In Form-Z (I also learned a little of it way back in the day) everything was about subtraction and Boolean operations- you would start by making a cube, and then subtracting or adding to it, all the while maintaining the appearance of a solid object (as if you were carving from stone).

Surface based programs differ because instead of recognizing the cube as a solid object, it recognizes it as 6 faces that when connected form a hollow-object. So instead of "carving" to make geometry, your using commands like split, cut, etc. (as if you were working with a physical model made of 6 faces, like chipboard).

Of course, it's not that black-and-white, but that is at least how I feel they differ. For me it helps to think about how the program would make this if it were a physical model. Form-Z would start with a solid and CNC mill down to make something. Rhino/SketchUp would laser-cut individual faces and glue them together.

Dec 28, 09 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

oh man....I would relate Revit to Archicad before I related it to 3D solids in AutoCAD & Microstation.

In a most basic explanation, with revit, you Model the building compents in 3D. You convey information about the model by setting up views (views are floor plans, sections, elevations, rcps, etc.) Whenever you draw or change something you do it to the 3d model, and because every view is a snapshot of the model, everything updates automatically with the change. When you place a window or door in the model it assigns a door/window number and automatically places that item on a schedule sheet...

It's known as smart modeling, where there is a depth of information and coordination intrinsically tied to each item you draw. This is very different from nervous 3d programs which are know as dumb modeling programs, where a line is merely a line or a box is merely as box, no more no less.

When you get more advanced, you specify the components of the elements you draw, as in drawing a wall with 5/8" gyp, 3.5" stud, 5/8" gyp......if you set things up right in the beginning you can take material counts, tie the 3d model directly to spec writing, and other advanced coordination that allows you to cut out A TON of the most banal of production work.

there is days worth of explanation about everything revit can do...in short its the leading software of where the industry is headed...

someone correct if any of that is wrong.....

Dec 28, 09 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Ms. October,

there is another route back that doesn't include being a cad/3d/revit monkey. project management/coordination/specifications haven't changed that much. Depending on your experience as a 'certification coordinator', you probably have some mad organizational abilities and the temperament/maturity to track budgets, coordinate with consultants, deal with submittals, and all the minutia that they don't teach in school.

Also look for local chapters for organizations like women in construction, the women's league, or any place that women entrepreneurs hang out and swap business cards. Start putting in facetime at events and clubs to meet the power women of your region - while few, the sisterhood of architects are pretty special (see ms. liberty belle above as an example).

Good luck!

Dec 28, 09 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
binary

go the management route and maybe still your head into the design side just a little....

Dec 28, 09 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
october

Really great idea--thanks, everyone

I'd never heard NAWIC before (guess it wasn't part of pro. prac.) but turns out there's a pretty active chapter here, and (stupidly) I wasn't really thinking about using the skills I use in my job now as a base for getting back in, but it makes really good sense.

On the other side of things, the Revit/BIM looks exciting as a concept, so I'll see what I can learn there one way or another. I found the Autodesk initiative page (http://students5.autodesk.com/?nd=assistance_home&lbon=1)--not sure it exactly applies to my situation, but I'll look a bit more at it.

Great help, thanks so much

Dec 29, 09 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

Yes I'm a member of NAWIC.Although they accidentally overcharged me for yearly fees last month I say it is a nice organization to be in.All the people I met have been very helpful and friendly.

Dec 29, 09 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: