Archinect
anchor

how many hours do you work as an architect

hankd

how many hours do you typically work, both in school and profession-wise? is it as much as a lawyer?

Dec 12, 09 8:38 pm
TaliesinAGG

most of them..

Dec 14, 09 11:43 am  · 
 · 
207moak

my schedule:
40 hours as an architect
0 hours as a lawyer

Dec 14, 09 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

currently 0 hours per week. At least zero paid hours.

I'm not sure if working on my portfolio, learning Revit and pilfering the city with resumes is considered working as an architect.

Dec 14, 09 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

that all depends on the individual...a passionate individual will work as many hours as it takes for his/her fingers to bleed both in school and in practice...then the will sleep for 2.5 hours then start over. everyone else probably averages between 60-70 hours per week.

Dec 14, 09 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

50-55

Dec 14, 09 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

currently, however, im with .._. .._ _._. _._ period

Dec 14, 09 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
odee

Lately 55-60. When I was in school, closer to 90+

Dec 14, 09 11:25 pm  · 
 · 

Dec 14, 09 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

60-70

Dec 15, 09 12:23 am  · 
 · 
zahoffman

currently - 0.00
eventually - 50-55

in school - as much as it took until it was too late

Dec 15, 09 1:33 am  · 
 · 

40 hours/week doing real work. Plus usually a few hours at home reading architecture news/doing research.

Dec 15, 09 5:58 am  · 
 · 
belle

anywhere between 40 and 70 in the office - depending how busy we are...

Dec 15, 09 8:15 am  · 
 · 
mjfw

As a student intern I work roughly 60 hours a week. Including some weekends.

Dec 15, 09 8:23 am  · 
 · 
outthere

40 for the past 4 or so months ...60 when needed but never more than that

Dec 15, 09 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

2 hours as architect
8 hours as business developer
10 hours as spreadsheet master
6 hours as expert email answerer and filers
6 hours as phone talker
8 hours as thinker

Dec 15, 09 10:53 am  · 
1  · 
archie

50 to 55 hours, my employees work 40 to 45, tops. Where the heck are you people working 60 to 70 hours on a regular basis??? I can't get virtually anyone under 40 to put in extra time unless they are paid for it as overtime. Too many family and personal obligations.

Dec 15, 09 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
zahoffman

archie,

I will work wherever and whenever you like. How high shall you have me jump? Of course I am well under 40 so I may not be what you are looking for...

Dec 15, 09 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
atsama

in school - as many hours as it took, typically 90 hrs/wk, i guess.

now at work - 40-50.

2 years ago...more like 40-60, depending on the week.

no overtime where i am . . .

Dec 15, 09 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Balagan

Depending on what project you are on.
I have done 120 hour weeks for several months, on competitions.
Not something I would love to do again.

Dec 16, 09 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
model.bot

28 hours/week. Thank you Great Recession!

Dec 16, 09 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
cajunarch

55-60
just totalled up this year's overtime = approx. 800 hours
thinking about that makes me ill

Dec 17, 09 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

did you get paid for that much overtime?

Dec 17, 09 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I get paid in full based on working 2080 hours a year. Thats 52 weeks of 40 hours per week. Taking away about 6 weeks including vacation/ personal/ holiday/ sick days, really I'm get paid my salary for working about 46 weeks out of the year, 40 hours a week. If I work an hour more than 40 hours per week, I get paid over time (1X not 1.5X) unless there is a holiday in that week. So its safe to say I try to avoid overtime and my employer doesn't mind that.

The way I see it, if I can't get my shit done in 40 hours per week (minus unforseen schedule changes, emergency situations, lengthy travel), I'm not doing it right, or the project isn't being managed right. Period*

* Exemptions:

1. If you have to work more because there is too much work for one person but not enough to hire another, that is a different story. But still, you should be compensated, or at the very least the management should be aware of the extra work you're putting in and plan compensation in the future (which might not always come in direct monetary form).

2. If you have to work overtime because of the economy and your firm is in dire straits and everyone is aware of it, there should be future planning involved. Perhaps more sense of security from the employer side. Or plans for more stake in the firm once this turns around. But really, if there is not that much work going around, why are people putting in 60-70 hours a week? If anything, firms should try to balance out the work to more regular hours involving more staff, instead of laying people off and funneling that work to one person.

3. Different if you're a partner or owner of the firm and you're trying to keep the business afloat.

I realize I sound a bit harsh, but I think we're totally screwing ourselves if we keep taking it like that. You know what, if you're putting in those hours because you're putting more thought behind design for the environment or the public (who have no financial stake in the project), that is a personal thing - good for you. But if you're dicking around with formal play on a whim, thats on you.

Dec 17, 09 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Third Conchord

typically around 50.....but recently put in 3 weeks at 80+

Dec 17, 09 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
pmarch

I used to work anywhere from 50 to 70 hrs/wk. Things are a little slower in the office lately and its been closer to 50/wk.

Its hard to calculate the time accurately though because i have trouble puting down my work at home. I work at home all the time just because i want to. Im lucky i guess becasue its fun to me. If i have free time at night I watch TV and work! that sounded cheesy- im not as dorky as i sound

Slartibartfast - "if I can't get my shit done in 40 hours per week (minus unforseen schedule changes, emergency situations, lengthy travel), I'm not doing it right, or the project isn't being managed right. Period*"

On the production side i can see how this would absolutely be true and i agree. On the design side however, the work is never "done". That is a trademark characteristic of our profession- projects can always get better, thought through, evaulated, etc. in the design phase... If thats not the case then we are not "doing it right".

Dec 17, 09 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

"On the design side however, the work is never "done". "

Well, I do expand on my comments in the last paragraph. If the work is never "done" because you are *personally* adding design value to the project to those with no financial stake in the project - i.e. for the public, occupants/tenants, or the environment, the profession, then power to ya. But if you're adding value to the project to the client (which could be the public or occupants in some projects), you should be compensated for it.

I realize -very much so- that the architectural process is not that clear cut. And that its hard to pace that process in a somewhat arbitrary 40 hrs/week format. But really, I'm having a hard time understanding how because its unquantifiable and so mysterious, it has to constantly be 50-70 hours? And how these designers are not being compensated for that?

At the end of the day, I'm talking about the value of design being constantly undervalued. And that undervalue of design starts with us.

Dec 18, 09 10:48 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

at some point the design has to be "done" so the building can get built

i agree, i never bought into "having" to spend so much extra time "designing"
we arent starving artists slaving over a piece of artwork, though designers sometimes pretend to be

part of being a good designer is being able to project how long it will take you to design something
if it takes you 50-70 hours a week, that is the quality of finished product you provide, so you should be compensated for that

Dec 18, 09 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams
On the design side however, the work is never "done".

this is why designers and project managers don't get along so well.

Dec 18, 09 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

haha

Dec 18, 09 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
pmarch

haha i agree with everyone - and i totally get that
"part of being a good designer is being able to project how long it will take you to design something"

- sorry I didnt explain very well what i meant by "the work is never done" on the design side. Yes of course the concept or SD phase must be complete and thorough by the specified schedule...
The difference is that in CD's, you have much more quanitfiable devierables for each issue, and if you did them "right", there is not much room to make them amazingly better.

--With conceptual design presentations however- my renderings/drawings/the extent of what im showing can always get better and show more and more information with TIME. im talking about getting a brand new project, youve got anywhere from 2-6 weeks to complete a concept package. so the difference an extra few hrs a day can make in the presentation is literally night and day.

believe me im no mother theresa architect doing this for the sake of mankind like Slartibartfast was asking... its just my job, the extra effort & finer product leaves a good impression to my superiors, and i happen to enjoy it so its not so bad. I assume when i have kids, my priorities will shift and i will not enjoy the extra work as much.

Dec 18, 09 9:17 pm  · 
 · 

at the moment 20 hours as an associate
and 50+ as a arch lecturer

Dec 19, 09 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Oh, sorry. What was I thinking? You do have to be Mother Theresa, Ghandi, or the Dalai Lama to design for the public, occupants/tenants, or the environment, etc. By the way, I meant that is the only way I can justify spending extra personal time, not be paid for it, and still not mind. But hey, we can all learn a lesson here and spend more time on kick-ass design presentations. It is enjoyable AND the superiors will get a kick out of it. Awesome.

Snarkiness aside, hey as long as you enjoy it. I mean I can understand if you guys are trying to get work this way and a couple intense weeks to get a project into the firm is valuable. But I hope your are managing your superiors' sense about how much time it really takes. Not only for yourself but others as well. This is how our time becomes less valuable and they might think for the next project proposal: "hey it only took so-and-so two weeks for this, so this should be similar"

Dec 21, 09 10:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: