Archinect
anchor

recommended book binding

hankd

the advantage of spiral/ring binding is being able to lay the ptf flat on the table without the pages automatically closing. however, disadvantages include (i) less apparent connectivity between pages and thereby potential loss of flow and (ii) looks uglier in general than perfect binding or saddle-stitching. what binding would you recommend, if any, besides spiral/ring binding, for one where the pages are not too inclined to close automatically and that doesn't have the loss of connectivity between the pages that spiral/ring binding tends to result in? this is for a landscape book about 0.5cm thick.

Dec 9, 09 5:31 am
hankd

wow thanks!

Dec 9, 09 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

probably not the best way to get an answer. i'm sure people either couldn't add to your comment or the right person didn't read your post.

i found this book helpful when i was building my portfolios. i don't know if it will let the pages lay flat. and if you need it now don't bother, you should practice your selected method a couple of times before you bind you actual portfolio or you will not be happy.

http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Bookbinding-Instructions-Master-Craftsman/dp/0834801965

Dec 9, 09 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
doctorzaius

there are also some good resources on the web--i dont remember what they are exactly but just google bookbinding and you should be able to find some info. I've bound all of my portfolios for the past few years and have received compliments on their binding. Doing a stiched yourself at home is not that difficult if you have a dremel to drill the holes to bind the book

For something .5 cm thick, binding yourself would not be much trouble. I wouldnt recommend spiral binding unless you are in a hurry--as you said, the binding itself stops the flow of the eye over the page.

Although ive never read the particular book SG recommends, I've read about and seen Japanese bookbinding in other places, and it is really quite beautiful, and well worth the look.

My grandmother showed me this beautiful butterfly book of Sumi-E drawings that she brought back from Japan--really eye opening in that the binding totally changed the way you experienced the book--the narrative structure of the images, the way one manipulated it in the hand, the experience of the rhythm of pagination, being able to open the whole book at once like a map, or going from page to page to page. There is so much possibility in a seemingly banal detail.

Dec 9, 09 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: