Archinect
anchor

telephone interview for overseas work

tinker10

i am sure this not new, but it is new to me.

i recently applied work in china and got a response back for a interview over the phone.

they will call me next week and i am not sure what to prepare...

aside from the typical questions you might get from a face to face interview i am a bit concerned if they ask me to go there for a 2nd interview. not that i am unwilling to go, but how can i as them to pay for or at least part of the travel fair?

will firms in china actually hire you w/o meeting you in person?

will they ask about salary? if they do should i give them my US salary requirement?

what sort of question may they ask that maybe unusual?

can anyone who had similar experience shed some light?

Dec 5, 09 8:29 pm
l3wis

first phone interviews usually focus on your portfolio, experience, expectations of what your job entails, etc.

if they want you to come to China for a face-to-face interview it's totally appropriate for them to pay for all traveling and lodging expenses.

Dec 5, 09 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
otis151

They may not pay for all travel expenses, depending on the size of the firm, your role and level of experience. They may however hire you over the phone after this interview. I know people who were hired this way and they usually started the job as soon as they stepped off the plane without seeing the place. If you can see yourself getting hired over the phone and feeling comfortable enough to move without seeing their office then go for it. If they are serious about hiring you over the phone ask questions about their office culture, project types and have them describe your role in detail. From what I've heard the salary in china sucks but the cost of living is cheap. You should do some research about the cost of living in the province where they are located put that together with you student loan payments, other debt payment and figure your monthly outlay...then you'll know how much you can settle for realistically.

Dec 5, 09 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
MacRoen

I did it and had a terrible experience with a Chinese firm. Check if the firm is Western! Definately be prepared for questions about your expected salary. Please post your work experience so I can give you an indication what you should ask for.

Also check for flights back, health care, travel / housing allowances, etc.

[ Mac ]

Dec 6, 09 8:29 am  · 
 · 
tinker10

thanks for all your input.

from their website & what i know so far:

it is a western A/E corporate international firm.
they have offices in number of big cities in china and the rest of the world.
the position is for a senior architect w/12+ years of experience.
the job entails design, lead the project team & managerial tasks.
the position is in beijing, and i'll be traveling to offices in their other locations in china as well.

what type of terrible experience did you have MacRoen?

otis151, i have no debt of any sort except mortgage on an apartment which i plan to keep in the states. I assume US salary is a bit high, perhaps i can respond with my US salary and let them give me a number?

Dec 6, 09 11:27 am  · 
 · 
MacRoen

Arriving with a signed contract which was terminated on the first day because they did not have work for me... Solid planning uh? Do not convert your current salary to RMB. You should add an amount on top of that because you are relocating.

Good luck [ Mac ]

Dec 7, 09 12:48 am  · 
 · 
otis151

Tinker,
I think giving them a salary history is a good idea and see how they respond. If they have offices all over the world they should be familiar with exchange rates and what your current US salary would translate into in RMB. Is it possible for them to interview you here in one of their offices in the states? I know that Steven Holl interviews people for Beijing in his New York office and RMJM was doing something similar last year. For someone at your level and a firm of their size, they should be willing to pay for travel out there to interview. If they are not, that is a big red flag that you may end up in a situation where the firm is not completely stable ie. Mac's situation. You should still figure out what your monthly outlay is over in China + your mortgage here and use that as a bottom number for salary negotiation. I agree with Mac that they should pay for your relocation but in this economy who knows how far you can push that demand.

Dec 7, 09 1:26 am  · 
 · 
tinker10

thanks guys for your input, i'll report back after my interview.

Dec 7, 09 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
tinker10

i meant to also ask about vacation time and overtime in China.

is there such a thing?

is it appropriate to ask?

Dec 7, 09 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: