Archinect
anchor

Laser Scanning/Point Clouds

Anybody ever use a laser scanner to survey a building? Was it worth the $$$ or are there better methods for building a model/surveying inaccessible places?

Nov 30, 09 10:43 pm

ps - anybody use thermal imaging cameras too? Any recommendations or tips? Don't need super accuracy, but higher rez would be nice.

this costs about $9k

don't know what it costs for the larger sensor...

Nov 30, 09 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

IMO - right now this only make sense if accuracy/performance is very important. unless the software has advanced dramatically in the past few years (i.e. an efficient way to accurately map usable surfaces onto LIDAR data), I think it's easier for your average project to just go out in the field with a tape measure and digital camera - and guestimate those inaccessible areas until someone can get in there.

in my experience collecting the data isn't a problem, it's processing the data that ends up being costly and time-consuming. I definitely wouldn't get this technology to save time.

This looks promising, though.

FYI - it's been a few years since I played with point clouds, so maybe things are much better now... looks like the prices on scanners haven't dropped much, though...

Dec 1, 09 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
RealLifeLEED

I can beat that last link for coolness, though not what you're trying to do. bam!
watch the video.

Dec 1, 09 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

Right now I'm just looking into methodology and tools for surveying several buildings. Nothing is set in stone till we get the grant.

Dec 1, 09 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Unless you are going to be adding the service as a profit center I would not buy the equipment. There are many companies out there that provide the service at reasonable costs.

Dec 1, 09 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
marlowe

We used a company in Atlanta to perform a laser site-scan and create a point cloud model. Once they had the model, they used it to generate 2d topo, site and utility drawings.

They used Leica TrueView and created a full 3D photo model which you could pan, zoom and measure within. It's pretty sweet because as you pan and zoom around you can still pull measurements which are very accurate.

For complex sites or, in my case healthcare projects where there are lots of utilities around, a point cloud model is an invaluable resource.

The coolest thing was being able to pull up the 3D photo model and take accurate measurements of medical gas ports while on the phone with consultants.

If anyone would like the name and number of my contact, send me a message and I'll give you the details.

Dec 1, 09 8:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: