Archinect
anchor

It's Portfolio time again...

J.

So I got thinking about the 'ole portfolio. Does anyone have any recommendations on books to look at for format? What about websites that are give good ideas of portfolios or that show other portfolios that people post? Any good suggestions on quality portfolios for 3 years experience in the work field type person. I am trying to show some school stuff/some work stuff.

Also I was curious as to if anyone has a good medium for showing a portfolio digitally? Do people have a website or do they use other websites like issuu.com or dripbook.com or something similar that formats the portfolio for you? If you have a website do you use flash? HTML? I mean is it possible to need to learn flash or html just to get a website up? It just seems that it would be good to be able to give out a web address so people could check out my porfolio so that I can be more marketable.

Nov 25, 09 12:40 pm

J. - Have you looked at our 2 huge Portfolio features for preparing an Academic portfolio and preparing a Professional portfolio?

Nov 25, 09 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
vorx

I wouldn't suggest learning flash right now. You can have fun with it when you are not pressed for time later.

To show it digitally, you can always export a PDF and send that to people. Saves you tons of time.

As for layout, I browse this site a lot for inspiration.
http://www.concisest.com/layout/layout.php

Nov 25, 09 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I would start with making your work sample pages so that you are at least prepared to send out applications. This is also a quick way to determine your better work and figure out things like type and layout, etc on a smaller document. Then once the apps are out you can work on the portfolio while your waiting to hear back/send out more applications.

I use coroflot to host my online portfolio. Also good to browse although the majority of the "portfolios" are really just renderings. It's free and easy and also has a job board (mostly industrial design) and saves you the time of having to learn how to make a website. As mentioned, save that for when your not so pressed time. When you do get there an easy way to start is to look into wordpress. There are several places that have templates to make it appear portfolio-like and you get the ease of a blog-edit.

Nov 26, 09 12:45 am  · 
 · 
MAMBO

Paul, this advice seems to be for MArch II. Any advice for MArch I?

Nov 26, 09 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
vorx

MAMBO:
For someone applying to MArch 1, especially without an undergraduate degree in architecture, you need to make sure your portfolio is unique(for good reasons), and shows that you have potential.

I have been on review committees where a few people were saved from the NO pile when we remembered them as "hey what about this guy who built 3 sheds for his motorcycles?" the portfolio gets picked up again, discussed a bit, and that extra time with the eyes is what does it if you are in the gray zone.

And one may not have solid enough content, but one should NEVER had bad layout. An eye for aesthetics is key. Your layout is like how you dress for the interview. You may not have the goods just yet, but are will to try hard.

Nov 28, 09 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: