Archinect
anchor

Using projects from other firms on my upstart office's website

biripbirip

As a Senior Project Architect, I have worked for a wide range for firms for the last 12 years and have developed a substantial portfolio of work where I've played a seminal role in their execution.

I have recently set up my private practice in NYC, and was planning on using some of the projects above referenced in my office's website. I am obviously planning to credit the office where I developed those projects under, and cite the role I played.

Anyway, I would be interested to find out other people's opinion on this matter. Has someone encountered any legal issues (on projects where a confidentiality agreement was not signed)? Could this potentially send a strange message to prospective clients?, etc. All feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 20, 09 9:29 pm
mental

you could contact the firm(s) that you worked for and ask?

Nov 20, 09 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
otis151

I've seen this done before...specifically where people were involved with personally creating renderings and drawings for certain projects and then moved on to start their own freelance business. In all cases, the firm where the project was completed was clearly displayed. A good example of this would be Kevin Kennon, KKA in new york. He was a partner at KPF and then left in the 90's to start his own firm. He is displaying projects from KPF where he was the lead designer/architect while clearly indicating they were done while at KPF.

If you worked for a firm where the partners are a little on edge and maybe even a little insane about publishing and proprietary information, I wouldn't even try to publish that work. Otherwise, I agree with mental...just publish with proper credits or call them and ask.

Nov 20, 09 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

I've seen this done too... Might be worthwhile calling to ask in order to cover your bases legally...

Nov 20, 09 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Get permission from the firm first. They may not want certain projects published. Some clients have privacy clauses in their contracts and unauthorized publication even on a website may not be acceptable.

You also need permission from the photographer if you wish to use photographs. They retain copyright, so unauthorized usage is illegal. You may incur fees, though you may wish to bargain with them considering you are a startup. You can avoid all this if you take your own photographs of the project. That way you own the copyright to the images and no fee can be incurred.

If you wish to publish plans and drawings, you also should get permission from the firms.

Otherwise, it's all fine. Like the others said, be honest about your role on the projects you show/list. Clients won't care if you list former work. Most are pretty understanding that you can't have a portfolio of independent work without starting up this way.

Lastly, try to keep former work up on your site as short a duration as possible. Put up competitions, small projects, etc that you're doing on your own. Otherwise your site will act more as a promotion for your former firms than for yourself, thereby defeating the purpose of the site.

Good luck.

Nov 20, 09 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

per AIA ethics rules, ask permission and get it in writing (which they must reasonably provide per AIA ethics - goes both ways), respect all copyrights, give full credit, and explain your role in the project.

If you have a non-compete contract, then you're screwed.

FP hit all the other points

good luck!

Nov 21, 09 3:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: