Archinect
anchor

Expat architect advice in China

thaler

Hi,

Does anyone have any thoughts to share on being an expat architect in China? How did you find the transition? Cost of living? Quality of design/construction overall? Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm considering an offer from a foreign office based in southern China. I'm two years out of school; I'm pretty excited about the prospect.

Thanks alot.

Nov 17, 09 11:34 pm
niro

chinese girls are cute

Nov 18, 09 1:35 am  · 
 · 
Hawkin

Do you have expat salary with only 2-years experience? Or will you work on a "local" salary?

Nov 18, 09 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
All Blacks!

Who will be applying for your work (Z) visa in China?

Nov 18, 09 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
thaler

Hawkin-Though I'm not sure what is expat vs. local salary, it's probably closer to local salary. Do you have any idea what local salary might be like? However, the employer is paying for housing.

All- The employer is going to.

Thanks. I appreciate the responses.

Nov 19, 09 12:35 am  · 
 · 
All Blacks!

I pay my Chinese staff 15,000 RMB/month ($2500/month).

Cheers!

Nov 19, 09 12:38 am  · 
 · 
Hawkin

All Blacks, are you kidding me?

I was told that "normal" salaries in Mainland China for architects were way lower (around 4-5k RMB/month).

I imagine they are local (Mandarin fluent) senior positions, are they?

Nov 19, 09 8:07 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Sadly 4-5k for locals is still high at a lot of firms while an expat makes over 10k right out of school.

Cost of living all depends on what city you'll be living in and what kind of lifestyle you want to maintain...I have friends in Sichuan Province who live comfortably on 3k a month (2k rent for a nice apartment + 1k expenses). Same goes for many "developing" cities in the south.

In some of the major cities you have the option to maintain a full western lifestyle or you may choose to live a more modest local lifestyle. I live on 100 kuai($12 USD) a day, sometimes more on the weekends if I go out. I still eat street food a few times a week and frequent restaurants where I'm the only foreigner that goes there on a regular basis. I do pay quite a bit for housing, even more than I paid in the US, but I pay for the convenience of the area and the amazing view.

As far as "transitioning" goes I had visited China before so I avoided the "culture shock". However, life in the workplace is quite different from the US and it took me a couple months to really figure out what I could and couldn't ask and to adjust to the work schedule. The design process is fast-paced (and that's an understatement), change is the only constant and it is fairly common to be designing and re-designing even after "90% CD's". Construction quality is also closely related to the pace of construction, which goes on 24/7/365.

I know it isn't for everyone but I've actually grown to love it here, maybe it's because I'm young and I don't know any better yet but the opportunities are seemingly endless if you're willing to get on that plane.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions, I was in your shoes not too long ago and I was asking every person I knew who had any experience over here what to expect.

Nov 19, 09 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
All Blacks!

Hawkin,

No, it's true. I'm based in Shenzhen which is in the South. The 4-5k RMB you mentioned is most likely from Shanghai or Beijing where architects are a dime a dozen. I have four staff members, all are Chinese.

By the way, expat architect's salaries can be as much as 45-50k.

Cheers!

Nov 19, 09 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Sounds like I should move to Shenzhen then...

Nov 19, 09 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

LITS, is that fast-paced studio culture standard in Chinese offices? I've heard that most are really slow and relaxed (an understatement).

Nov 19, 09 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
All Blacks!

LITS4FormZ,

Where are you based? I'll take a peak at your portfolio, I'm always in need of fresh talent! Perhaps we can meet up for some coffee...

Here's the link to my company's website www.facundus.moogo.com

We mostly do railway stations and monorail systems.

Cheers!

Nov 19, 09 10:06 pm  · 
 · 

After seeing a job posting from MAD I started looking more seriously at China.... who are the hot firms down there right now? I'd love to go work and see some crazy project built....

Nov 20, 09 3:27 am  · 
 · 
Hawkin

AllBlacks,

Thanks for your reply,

The few Westerns I know are based in SHA or PEK, 4-5k is the salary they agreed +-. Some of them were even made redundant with the downturn and they said getting a job (specially in Shanghai) could be really complicated.

What about second-tier cities? Chongqing, Wuhan? I guess they are growing at a much faster pace than the West Coast and less expats there.

Nov 20, 09 9:59 am  · 
 · 
Hawkin

Sorry I meant the East Coast... (no West Coast for China yet :))

Nov 20, 09 10:00 am  · 
 · 
archislave

I'm also relocating to Shanghai by Spring.
So is 4-5k rmb the base salary??
I'm also a junior architect. 2-3 years experience here in the US

Nov 22, 09 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
thaler

Hi archislave,

Yes, that seems to be the general estimate I'm finding. For an internship that is. Not sure about full time positions though. 10k seems to be a benchmark for junior level.

Nov 22, 09 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
redgecombe81

Hello, I am about to move to Shanghai to look for work on my own. Any good advice?

Jun 19, 11 10:31 am  · 
 · 
LaNC

Are you still in China All Blacks?

Feb 28, 12 6:50 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

You can find your answer on this thread. 

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/102392/considering-working-for-a-chinese-firm

Feb 28, 12 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Adrem Group

These links may help ex-pats looking to work in China: 

GUIDE TO LIVING AND WORKING IN CHINA: http://www.adrem.uk.com/career-guidance/living-working-in-china-guide/

STATE OF PLAY IN CHINA FOR JOB SEEKERS, ERIC HUI Q&A: http://www.adrem.uk.com/blog/state-play-china-job-seekers-qa-with-eric-hui/

Apr 4, 13 5:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: