Archinect
anchor

Intimate Science

New School Communications

Date: Thursday, February 06 - April 15, 2014

Location: Sheila C. Johnson Design Center, Anna-Maria and Stephen Kellen Gallery

Address: 2 West 13th Street

Admission: Free

Gallery Hours: Open daily 12:00 noon - 6:00 p.m. and late Thursday evenings until 8:00 p.m.

Website: http://www.newschool.edu/parsons/currentExhibitions.aspx?id=99113

Description: The most recent manifestation of artists working at the intersection of art, science, and technology demonstrates a distinctly autodidactic, heuristic approach to understanding the physical and natural world.

Intimate Science features artists who are engaged in non-disciplinary inquiry; they aren’t allied to the customs of any single field, and therefore have license to reach beyond conventions. This kind of practice hinges on up-close observation, experiential learning, and inventing new ways for the public to participate in the process. And through their engagement with “intimate science,” a more knowledgeable public might well be able to influence what research is supported and adopted by the larger culture, and the walls of science can become more transparent.

Feb 20, 14 1:32 am
Non Sequitur

jargon garjon nargoj

Feb 20, 14 8:15 am  · 
 · 

This is an exciting idea as long as it's not just an excuse to misrepresent woo as real science.

Feb 20, 14 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Donna, I suspect the same thing.

Feb 20, 14 10:15 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Wait just a minute now...  did it mention an approach that both autodidactic and heuristic?

I am so there!

Feb 20, 14 11:44 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Oh, and I admit that I clicked on this because I thought the title was a euphemism for sex.

Feb 20, 14 11:54 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

I thought autodidactic and heuristic were also euphemisms for sex.

I am so there!

Feb 20, 14 11:59 am  · 
 · 

LOL, won, and citizen.

Crossing boundaries and interdisciplinary work is awesome with the very real caveat that it not diminish real expertise in one area in order to make a so-called level playing field for all of the disciplines involved.

Feb 20, 14 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

In any case, let's just make certain that we architectural types retain a certain -- superiority

Feb 20, 14 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

Disappointed, thought this was going to be about sex.

Feb 20, 14 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

Hahaha lest you misunderstand me, Saint, I don't put architectural knowledge above scientific knowledge.  We are purveyors of more woo than science, in most cases.

Feb 20, 14 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Donna, I like your link.

Especially "ordinary bat$hit crazy"

But, I do like sex. If its about that, I'm there.
Feb 20, 14 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: