Archinect
anchor

Pros and Cons of working for a contractor/developer

yEAh

I never worked for a contractor before but my next job will be. So, I'm wondering what are the pros and cons of working for them.

Personally, I like the idea that I am the main architect/designer that will basically conceptualize everything. I feel like the growth that I could experience on my own will be beneficial to my portfolio. It's more of the exploration of your own design aesthetic and figuring out what you really like without someone else telling you how it should look. Of course, the client and the contractor might dictate the "look" but no other design professional is nitpicking every little design decision you have made.

This is where I see it as a con. There's the possibility that without a more experienced mentor/architect, the growth when it comes to architectural development might be limited. I may be wrong, but please correct me if you think I am. 

I think it's really tricky. Its like having freedom but you're kind of the only person responsible for your own growth. 

If you have related experiences or thoughts. Please do share. Thanks!

Feb 18, 14 2:23 am
jdparnell1218

I worked for a construction and restoration company that did loss and insurance work.  Most of my work went into restoring a church that was heavily damaged by fire.  I didn't really get any chance to do any design work at all.  I more so cut my teeth working on the CA side of things.  Most of what I did was either problem solving or doing labor that my boss didn't want to pay contractors to do, which was, but not limited to: general demo work, breaking up concrete, painting, putting up insulation, and caulking the roof.

My employer did everything they could do to squeeze a dime out of the project and myself.  The architect who stamped the drawings was very hands off and difficult to get a hold of.  So the owner of the building was constantly trying to change the plans.  There was a complete lack of construction details, so I ended up having to consult some text books I used in school to figure out how to frame out complicated areas.  The contractors my company had me hire were the bottom bidders; so they flaked, showed up late, and did poor work.  When I would call them back to fix things, they would complain, moan, and drag their feet getting it done.

Overall, my experience was a poor one.  It was not all bad though.  The experience I gained helped me get hired by a great architecture firm.  It helped me gain some much needed IDP hours.  Surely, what you are expecting is a different experience.  I wish you the best of luck.

Feb 18, 14 9:09 am  · 
 · 
archichef

"Personally, I like the idea that I am the main architect/designer that will basically conceptualize everything. I feel like the growth that I could experience on my own will be beneficial to my portfolio. It's more of the exploration of your own design aesthetic and figuring out what you really like without someone else telling you how it should look. Of course, the client and the contractor might dictate the "look" but no other design professional is nitpicking every little design decision you have made."

Oh my. In my experience working for developers/DB contractors, they will indeed nitpick every design decision you make. "Is this the cheapest way we can do this? We need to get the cost down by $50,000 per unit. Why did you put brick here? Go ahead and terminate that masonry on an outside corner, it's cheaper. I can get this window for less. What's wrong with vinyl?"

I know there are exceptions, but many developers and contractors are very firmly focused on their bottom line. Be prepared to have your design aesthetic weighed and measured in nickels.

Feb 18, 14 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

@archichef is right.  Contractors will squeeze every damn penny out of a design they can.  Even if it means cutting corners.

Feb 18, 14 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

One "con"... be sure they have professional liability or that you are somehow protected and indemnified by your employer.  Otherwise you, who stamped those drawings, are liable as their standard general liability doesn't cover you. 

Feb 18, 14 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
yEAh

So much negativity around here! LOL. Is there anything positive at least?

@archichef: I think it will do you good as an architect since you are pressured to create no nonsense stuff by just throwing things here and there just because you like it. 

To put this into context, I won't be working for a US contractor, I will be working for a Dubai based contractor, and hopefully clients there would be more generous and have less budgetary constraints.

@mightyaa: that's a good point. I have to check this out.

Feb 19, 14 9:12 am  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

@yEAh

My description seems to be the worst-case scenario.  I hope he has the best of luck and lands with a good company.

Feb 19, 14 9:39 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Ok.. some "pro's"...

Contractors can be extremely knowledgeable in how to provide the most value for the buck.  Examples would be labor saving techniques like avoiding a ton of custom cutting and fabrication.  They know what products are a good value and high quality.  Good ones understand aesthetics, so that is what they are looking for in their in-house staff to set themselves apart from their DB competition.

You will also gain access to sub-contractors and their extensive knowledge of their specialized trade.  That knowledge will serve you well in the future.

And then there is also the in-field experience.  Honestly, I much prefer to go out to a jobsite, meet with the subcontractor, brain storm, wave our arms around, and decide how this thing is going to be built.  It beats the hell out of drawing up details and also helps you and the sub to respect each other.  That will also serve you well down the line as you deal with other subs because quite frankly, architects have sort of a reputation for not really understanding how things are truly built and treating contractors like brain dead idiots who can't get it right without our guidance.

Feb 19, 14 10:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: