Archinect
anchor

Retractable roof solutions for stadiums

aemkei

Good morning,

in the spirit of the moment (i.e. spirit of the economic resession) I have decided to go back to school to finish my final thesis project, which I've had hanging over me like an dark cloud for the past few years now.

The project has confronted me with some problems I haven't given much thought before. For example that of retractable roofs. In this case for stadiums.

Are there any alternative solutions (call them 'cheaper solutions' if you want to, but in this case I suppose that's a very relative term) out there, or is there actually a pretty good reason why stadiums always have those gazillion dollar solutions or no roof at all?

Sep 7, 09 4:24 am
LucasGray

Well, stadiums are huge buildings and immense structures are needed to span vast distances. This makes roofs expensive. Add in mechanical systems needed to actually open and close retractable roofs and you are looking at millions and millions of dollars (usually taxpayer dollars).

Perhaps look into fabric solutions as a cheaper alternative. But there are other issues there, like maintenance and lifespan.

-Lucas Gray
www.talkitect.com

Sep 7, 09 4:45 am  · 
 · 
randomized

I think retractable roofs are a cheap solution because you get a hybrid structure for outdoor and indoor activities instead of two separate buildings, depending on the location of course. fabrics can be a cheap solution to minimize the weight of the roof to make the opening and closing easier(cheaper), maybe look into EFTE cushions (watercube/grimshaw) to add transparancy to the equation.

good luck with the thesis!

Sep 7, 09 4:55 am  · 
 · 
druf

The old Dallas Cowboys football stadium (I think its proper name was Texas Stadium) was a hybrid. It had basically a dome roof with the hole in the middle only the size of the field. The field was open air, but the seating was pretty much protected from rain.

Sep 7, 09 8:26 am  · 
 · 
IamGray

Stade Olympique / 'The Big OWE' in Montreal. One of the more interesting concepts for a retractable roof stadium (and I believe one of the earliest as well)... Too bad it never really worked out.

Sep 8, 09 8:58 am  · 
 · 
aemkei

Thanks for the replies!
The Stade Olympique roof reminds me a little of this one i came across the other day... don't know why.

Sep 9, 09 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
gute

Hallo, I am also reserching about retractable roofs.

I've never seen the roofs that aemkei posted above.

Anyone knows about this roof??

Mar 4, 10 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
w4000

Miller Park for the Milwaukee Brewers. Segmented Roof. It's actually on railroad tracks/wheel. Each segment stacks then rolls.

http://www.virtualbirdseye.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/miller-park-birds-eye-view.jpg

Repetition of the Structure/Shape could cut down on cost.

Mar 4, 10 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: