Archinect
anchor

I have a series of questions regarding Do's & Don'ts for employment to firm...

I do understand that some of these questions may seem rather silly, I figure it is better to be safe than sorry when you have only one chance at a first impression...through emails.

1)When firms do not post any information asking for cover letters, resumes/CV's, or work samples, is it unprofessional or rude to send them your information and work anyway?

2)When firms ONLY advertise their [email protected] with no call for employment interests, is it unprofessional to send your information using that email?

3)When firms ask for your resume only. Is it implied that they really want a cover letter, resume, and references? and portfolio work?

4)Is it preferred to include the cover letter in the body of the email and attach it to the merged pdf of resume and work samples?

5)If the firm requests information to be sent to their general employment email but does not specify the attention, what heading is best to use? I fear that To Human Resources, To Whom It May Concern, Dear Sir/Madam, etc. seems rather impersonal and tacky.

6)What do firms really want to see in a recent graduates work samples and experience? I make the assumption here that work samples represent only a portion of what one's portfolio will showcase.

7)What is the etiquette if the firm states NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE, but you simply want to call to see if they received your mailed portfolio and information?

8)When firms put a megabyte limit on work samples, are they more inclined to skip over yours if your are merely kilobytes over their limit? [This is pertinent because I quite often send emails with attachments under the requested MB limited, but for some unknown reason, the message picks up an additional 1mb to 2mb of phantom information once it sends.]

9)I have isolated months of different internship experiences. Is it misleading and ridiculous to think that the sum of those months can equate to a year of office experience?

10)When negotiating salaries [and current economic desperations aside]. If the firm offers you a low salary, is it dangerous to ask (not demand) for slightly higher if the regional or city average for your experience level is higher. Here is a source I thought I would use if I ever find myself actually talking salary some day.

http://dp.storymaker-se.com/DaliDataProxy/x.aspx?cmd=query&id=bcmeta&exp=96836a50-b83c-445a-92f5-0a6a7ee0615c&t=exp.htm

11)Do firms really want to see personalized content in cover letters? Cover letters are summaries of one's skills and experiences; can't a firm simply deduce if one's skills and experiences are adequate for what they are currently looking for? The act of contacting them is an indication one likes them, so to add some seemingly disingenuous comment attempting to connect to them (because my experience is limited) seems worse.

12) How do you follow up with correspondence if a firm NEVER contacted you regarding that they look over your resume and work? Is the professional action to not contact them, assuming you were not adequate for the position?

Thanks for reading if you made all the way down here. I would love to read your comments and suggestions.

Aug 27, 09 3:57 pm
LB_Architects

Most importantly, don't be a ninny.

Aug 27, 09 4:11 pm  · 
 · 

1) no, that's fine

2) no, that's fine

3) they tend to want a cover letter. References are usually upon request, but work samples always help (well, if you do good work anyway!)

4) I put my cover letter into the pdf, and tend to say something regarding my availability, particularly if I am about to visit the city they are located in or something, and a general expression of interest in the email. That way if the pdf gets forwarded around the office, the cover letter is still there.

5) I have sometimes used ATTN: Human Resources, and sometimes looked at the information on the principals and directed the letter to the one who seems most sympathetic with my background/interests. Both have garnered mixed results.

6) they want to see short takes of a couple of projects that are interesting. This is often called a "teaser" because it is meant to make them want to learn more.

7) "NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE" means exactly what it says.

8) hold to the limits. Try to make your pdf under the limits, so that those extra kbs don't hurt you. Sometimes it's not a matter of what they want, but more a matter of what their email accounts allow, or what their system can handle. If they try to open your pdf and it takes forever to load... of course they're more likely to skip over you, not because they're hardasses, but because they're busy people.

9) a bit misleading, yes, but it's something that many people understandably struggle with how to represent. When an ad says "3-5 years experience required) they tend to mean post-grad work experience. It's not that internships don't count, it's that they don't count in the same way that permanent employment does. On the other hand, if something says "office experience req'd" then go for it, because you have some, just in internships.

10) Dangerous? maybe a little. Unexpected? not at all. Just do it in a nice enough way that if they reject you and say that low offer is all they've got, take it or leave it, neither side feels overly uncomfortable or like the relationship has started on a sour note.

11) yes, of course they do. A simple note that you hold a great respect for their work, or that you found them because you happened to notice project X in the city you grew up in, or some such thing, makes it feel less like a form letter. You may have a hard time understanding it because you're not one of those people, but there are many people who simply apply to every office they can contact, whether or not their application is very relevant. Showing a little thought is always appreciated.

12) If they do not fall into the category of question #7, I tend to call them in around a week and say something like "Hi, I sent in my resume and samples last week and just wanted to follow up and see if there was any interest on your part..." and most people are perfectly polite about receiving these calls. Those who don't appreciate them usually have you screened by secretary or voicemail so it becomes a non-issue. But one phone call is enough--if you leave a message and they don't respond, then that's it.

Aug 27, 09 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
HouseCat3rd

I recently had the "pleasure" of helping my principle filter through hundreds of resumes ect. from recent grads. Here's what I learned:

Your cover letter MUST standout as a whole visually! When I was going through hundreds, I don't read if you addressed me "dear, sir/mam" or whatever. The only reason I'll pull a cover letter / resume out of the pile is if it stand out (in a good way). The ones that do, had either really clean, or interesting format, or eye grabing graphics. (don't over do the graphic, it looks like a blur).

If a covered letter / resume made it into the next level. This is when I paid attention to content.
Firms don't look for EXPERIENCE in recent grads. They look for POTENTIAL! So the length of time you've worked is not the most important. Detail WHAT you did that was special! Detailing tasks in a way that express your interests and commitment. Ex: don't say "I drafted CAD details" (read: I hated it, and I don't really care.) Instead, say "I helped develope and detailed custom cladding and fundation connection." (read: I'm interested in the technical stuff and am capable of taking on complicated tasks.)
(there are so many other resume threds out there, all are very helfpul.)

Work sample. To be honest, we only look at the first few (3-5) pages. Don't send too many. Be sure to stay well under the file size limit. They'll only glance at the images and read the first two or three sentences so keep it clean and simple.

This may sound like a sloppy way of selecting cadidates. But the reality is that there are so many applicants that this is the only way to get through them all.

We didn't process resumes as they arrived. We waited until we had a bounch to filter through. So don't be supprised if you don't hear right back, they may just be collecting the "pile".

When people say "Please no phone call", they really mean don't call to ask silly and obvious questions. But call to follow up in a few days is understandable. You'll likely get the receptionist. Unless it's a very, very small firm, the person answering the phone is not the one making hiring decisions. You can also call afterhours to leave a voice mail message. Either way, people respond to a voice better than emails in the nameless in-box.

Don't be so concerned about being "unprofessional". Firms have the upper hand now and they are looking for more than "professional". They want "outstanding". I don't know any firm that will not prefer persistant "go-getters" over mear professionals. If you are a recent grad, that's what they are looking for. They are not looking for a smooth talker they can bring to dinner partys with the client. They need recent grads that can get the job done.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Aug 28, 09 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

Cover letter is very important to show you can write and understand the protocol of business and it also give you an opportunity to show that you actually researched the firm in question and are not just blasting resumes to every firm with an e-mail address.

Aug 30, 09 1:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: