Archinect
anchor

Anyone familiar w this project at Humboldt and San Fernando in LA?

greenlander1

Wondering if anyone is familiar with this project? Its at the corner of Humboldt and N San Fernando in northeast LA. Looks like construction stopped.

Anyhow looks like an interesting project with the top 2 floors being redone on the outside.

Aug 21, 09 9:48 pm
greenlander1

oops too big

Aug 21, 09 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

These would be the Fuller Lofts in Lincoln Heights. The project was shut down in early 2008 due to a lawsuit between Liveable Places (the owner) and the contractor which resulted in Liveable Places having to file for bankruptcy and abandoning the project. The project sat for almost a year.

As of April this year it has been taken over by Lee Homes and is resuming construction. The project is designed by Pugh + Scarpa. If you go to Curbed LA and search for Fuller Lofts you can read about all the drama.

I recall seeing somewhere that the original intent was that a portion of the building was going to be for low-income housing with the top 2 floors being the more expensive units. I'm not sure if with the new developer they will keep this idea or not.

All in all, it's an interesting project but in a totally weird area. Aside from the nearby Gold Line stop and the Home Depot, there really isn't a lot going on in this area of LA. Although the same could be said about the Toy and Biscuit Company Lofts that seem to be doing exceedingly well despite that after you leave the film set street they are on your likely to get mugged.

Aug 21, 09 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Did the search for you:

Fuller Lofts now renames Alta Lofts

Looks like gone with mixed-income community and in with trust fund artists. Just what LA needs.

Aug 21, 09 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I'd argue that the lower five floors are more interesting than the top two...

Aug 22, 09 1:44 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

yes citizen the top two are a bit 2nd year student project, imho...

Aug 22, 09 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

It is a little like a spaceship landed on top of the building. Given that it was also originally designed as a mixed-income community the clear division between the two styles is a little disconcerting given that it clearly is not mixed. It would have been nicer to see some of the "design moves" for lack of a better term, played through the rest of the structure.

Aug 23, 09 12:00 am  · 
 · 

Agreed citizen.

The rehab of industrial space vs a designer-condo. .._. .._ _._. _._ you make an interesting point about the stylistic differences literally symbolizing/marking the class differences.

Stylistic conformity as class unifier?

Aug 23, 09 11:39 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Could those top two be additions? Or are they original with a (supposedly) hip wrapping? It's tough to tell....

Aug 23, 09 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

thanks for the replies guys. It does have a weird spaceship hat on the top 2 floors.

$320/ sf starting price? Hmm. Not crazy high but maybe above what that area can handle now.

Aug 24, 09 1:41 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

And there is I think a parking structure next to it. That contains all the parking for the building?

Aug 24, 09 1:42 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

the drama continues.

I think at this point this project is a lost cause.

Aug 29, 09 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

The city should just use its power of eminent domain and take it, finish it and resell it.

Aug 29, 09 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I'm thinking that SCI_Arc should invest in the potential and move. They no longer fit in the current building and have been all but run out by the gentrification in the area. There seems to be room for expansion here in adjacent lots and they wouldn't be locked into a historically preserved building anymore. Proximity to Gold Line and Home Depot would be nice benefits. Also affordable housing along the Gold Line would make up for lack of dorm rooms.

Aug 30, 09 12:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: