Archinect
anchor

What should I give the client at the first meeting?

crave

I seem to get most of my projects thru "word of mouth". Therefore, I seldom bring any marketing material to my initial client meeting. I assume they have visited my website or have seen one of my projects or spoken extensively to the person referring me. Next week I will be meeting a new client that wants to do a restaurant.

I would like to leave the client something besides my business card. Perhaps a one page document with a brief work history and a project list? Kind of like an abridged resume. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Aug 21, 09 12:02 pm
poop876

Show him your past work. Showing him that you can actually finish projects will convince him to hire you as opposed hiring somebody that just shows up with a business card. Anybody can print those at kinkos and it does not show him anything. He probably wants to discuss your previous work, what you did etc. I usually show up with a portfolio of finished work, which is all pictures, description of the project, size, completion dates etc. Usually no cad drawings, because I don't think they really care how you draw, as long as you get the job done!
Good luck!

Aug 21, 09 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Think about what contractors bring when you interview them :

-- page or two with CVs of key players on the project
-- few pages with photos of completed works
-- cover page statement of what you could bring to the project, what your experience lies in, etc.

ABSOLUTELY bring something to leave with them. You never want your presence to be your sole representative in an interview -- because then, when you walk out the door, they have no reason to think back over you, and no representative pleading your case after you're gone. (If that makes sense.) ALWAYS leave them with something to look over afterwards. Also, that makes you seem more professional and prepared (first impressions are everything!) and it makes it seem as though you have considered them personally and have given them personal attention.

Aug 21, 09 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

PLUS the pages of representative works will give you a point of departure for your discussion that day. "We work in a variety of styles, as you see here and here... blah blah blah" Remember when you brought your personal portfolio in for your first office gig?

Aug 21, 09 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

OH and leave him with a list of CLIENT REFERENCES to call!!!! Even if he doesn't actually call them, it shows that you have good previous relationships and that you have confidence in your own ability to leave clients happy. That is what they are fearful of when first engaging with an architect.

Aug 21, 09 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
binary

how about tickets to an architecture tour or a museum

also give they some hott renderings and finished project pics

Aug 21, 09 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Marshmallows and Ginger Ale.

Aug 21, 09 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

a massage. preferably sensual.

Aug 21, 09 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
crave

I could see the massage if they call me back for a second interview.

Aug 21, 09 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
crave

thanks mantaray + others...I agree, I think client references are key...even if they don't call them or only call one.

Aug 21, 09 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
binary

legos/lincoln logs/erector set/light bright/etcha-sketch.....

Aug 21, 09 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

If you have to bring a piece of paper, make it one sheet. Don't clutter his space with a bunch of crap. Then you can also claim your green 'cause you don't print everything out. I would focus 100% of your marketing to your webpage. if you have a portfolio, that's where it belongs. Find out if they have the av stuff, etc. Otherwise bring your own.

Renderings next to the photos of the finished product can show the client in a very efficient manner how you have gotten from A to B in a project, including finishing them.

Aug 21, 09 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box
including finishing them

this is key in obtaining new work in our office.

proposals and unbuilt work don't seem to bring in much in the way of new clients

Aug 21, 09 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

an apple?

Aug 21, 09 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
binary

pc

Aug 21, 09 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

a firm handshake and your assurance that you're the man for the job.

[don't you watch mad men?]

Aug 21, 09 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

I typically bring an invoice since our first meetings are typically design consultations. - yes even in this market!

Aug 21, 09 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

a nice free hand sketch of their project...and ya sign it! It has to be while your with them or they will think someone is cranking them out at the office for you....just because they want you to look good.

Aug 21, 09 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
crave

"a firm handshake and your assurance that you're the man for the job"
after a few smokes and a fifth of scotch!

Aug 21, 09 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
logon'slogin
Aug 21, 09 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
eigenvectors

beer.

Aug 21, 09 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

You should sit on their lap and decorate their hair with thistles and wild berry and anoint them with gardenia and jasmine oils, offering them libations of wine and honey.

If this does not work, boil their pet and send it back to them.

Aug 22, 09 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

a laptop, incase they want to know more, u still can go to ur webpage for description.

Aug 22, 09 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

I was going to say "a big wet kiss" but OldFogey has me beat !

Aug 22, 09 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

It's their lucky day.

Aug 24, 09 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

I assume that would be, in the words of Pat Sajak, "a lovely parting gift. . ." ?

Aug 24, 09 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: