Archinect
anchor

Advice with portfolios and marketing yourself?

JRGZ1023

I received my M.Arch in May of 2008 and since then I have worked at an NYC firm as a project manager and in Israel as a design intern mostly involved with renderings and conceptual work. I now find myself once again looking for a job in the NYC market amongst all other unemployed young architects. That being said I wanted to see if I could get any feedback on how to market yourself in this kind of situation.

I have been using my portfolio from school still to this point, and am wondering how or if to incorporate any work since graduation. Should they be sent as separate attachments in their original forms and layouts, should they be condensed to a pdf summarizing your experience, or should they be added to your portfolio even though they may negate the notion of a portfolio as being reflective of your design beliefs and tendencies?

As of more recently, I have been more and more under the impression that it is important to distance yourself from being a "recent graduate" in order to be able get your foot in the door. I wanted to see if anyone had any feedback, especially people in similar situations as well as those who are on the receiving end of resumes and portfolios. Thanks a lot to anyone who responds!

Jul 27, 09 5:44 pm

We are about to launch the first part of a 3 part feature series covering the architectural portfolio (academic & professional). Stay tuned...

Jul 28, 09 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I <3 PAUL!

I'd make that "raugh raugh raugh" sound but I don't know how to type that.

Jul 29, 09 2:12 am  · 
 · 
med.

You should definitely include your work from your professional experience. Surely you have you folio saved somewhere -- just add some new pages, revamp your index, and I find throwing in your resume within the folio is always a good thing! :)

Good luck. My friends in NYC who are still employed tell me that they are seeing a lot of inquiries and rfps as and certainly if nothing else more feesibility studies.

There is no doubt that buildings are needed everywhere -- whether it's new construction, addaptive resuse, or full renovation. The only problem is that we need money to start moving around again!

Jul 29, 09 10:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: