Archinect
anchor

Navigating Up the Intern Ladder

stevenas135

Hey All,

I would like to get some insight on how to set myself up optimally for a successful career after the years of interning.  Having just finished my 3rd Year, I've worked two tough NYC summers, one at a small/mid range firm doing drawings, 3D modelling, competition work and learned a great amount from these experiences with good mentors.  I recently turned 23 and have been experiencing a preview of what I think is a quarter-life crisis...just imagining myself at the end of my 20's as a starving architect is frightening.

Anyways, I really don't mind doing typical intern-work, but I'd really like to get my hands into some great projects next summer and for the years to come.  How can I present myself during interviews and in the portfolio in order to continue climbing the minion ladder without staying in the same place?  How does one avoid becoming an "image maker", but rather a valuable asset to the company in terms of concept/design development and construction?  How can I come out of my mid-late 20's after interning and be set up to make a substantial amount of money as an intermediate or senior designer?  I'm looking into applying to mid-sized firms (20-100 people) similar to SHOP, Ennead, Weiss+Manfredi, but not quite as cold and corporate as Gensler or SOM.  But hey, I'll take what I can get...beggars can't be chosers...

Any and all advice is appreciated (except for the trolls...and if you do, better make it funny ;)

Jan 6, 14 6:34 am
Non Sequitur

Quarter-life crisis? Please, don't be so dramatic. You're experiencing what is more commonly refereed to as 3rd-year panic. Almost every student will pass through it and begin questioning their choice of academic program. You're only half-way through school so there is loads of time to keep panicking.

Jokes aside, the easiest way to assure you can break the "graphic-artist" label and move towards license is to know how shit goes together. I've seen many students leave graduate school who cannot describe wall assemblies or draw up construction details; the only thing they had going is sketch-up "skills". Knowing software is easy and anyone can learn 3D-CAD. What sets you apart is your ability to communicate through the language of construction. Since you have yet to complete school, perhaps best to either look into graduate programs with a strong technical course-load.

I took a highly conceptual/visual undergrad and moved-on to a hard technical graduate school. Since I could handle both graphic and technical fields, there was absolutely no hurdles between graduation and license.

Jan 6, 14 8:10 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

I would look for a job in a small firm where will be exposed to all facets of the practice due to limited staff resources.  If you go to a larger firm, most likely, you will be placed in a similar position to your internships, or very limited detailing roles due to the hierarchy of such firms.

Find a company that does developer work and cranks out a ton of construction documents. Get out of the office and into the field, do as much CA as possible and learn as much about the building code as possible on the various project types you will be exposed to.

Jan 6, 14 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Also focus on finding a smaller firm that is run by a younger progressive architect(s).

They will value you more than older architects that are trying to pad their retirement, and/or a pillow to fall on during the next economical downturn. I realized this after working for a design/build company (can't use firm b/c there was no ladder to climb) that was run by a guy that had been practicing for 20 years in Highland, Denver. He stopped hiring ppl that had accredited & master degrees after 2008, and was only looking for technical degrees that were only expecting to make $36k a year.

And btw, he (we) cranked out tons of construction documents, so the comment above is irrelevant to some degree. Just be careful.

Jan 6, 14 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

There is no ladder.  Only a gently sloping descent into destitution and death.  And by the time you see it, it'll be too late.

Jan 6, 14 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I'd suggest that you attempt a variety of paths. You're very very early in your career, and frankly, you don't know what will fit you best.  Upon graduating a few years ago, I took the path that DeTwan suggests above (smaller firm with progressive architect) and it was a truly horrible experience professionally, for many reasons. I learned quite a bit, but the architect's inexperience manifested itself in taking out his frustrations and insecurities on his employees. There are of course many smaller, progressive firms that may be great to work for, I'm just pointing out that you can plan all you want, but the unexpected can and does happen.

Wherever you end up, learn what you can and take it one day at a time.  You'd do well to remember that patience is a virtue, and architecture is a marathon, not a sprint!

Jan 6, 14 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

Where are these "younger progressive architect(s)"?!?! I haven't been able to find them.  

Jan 6, 14 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

They all went back to Gensler and SOM after they realized how hard it is to secure clients in this economical climate.

Jan 6, 14 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
jMendez92

**Hey All,

I would like to get some insight on how to set myself up optimally for a successful career after the years of interning.  Having just finished my 3rd Year, I've worked two tough NYC summers, one at a small/mid range firm doing drawings, 3D modelling, competition work and learned a great amount from these experiences with good mentors.  I recently turned 23 and have been experiencing a preview of what I think is a quarter-life crisis...just imagining myself at the end of my 20's as a starving architect is frightening.

Anyways, I really don't mind doing typical intern-work, but I'd really like to get my hands into some great projects next summer and for the years to come.  How can I present myself during interviews and in the portfolio in order to continue climbing the minion ladder without staying in the same place?  How does one avoid becoming an "image maker", but rather a valuable asset to the company in terms of concept/design development and construction?  How can I come out of my mid-late 20's after interning and be set up to make a substantial amount of money as an intermediate or senior designer?  I'm looking into applying to mid-sized firms (20-100 people) similar to SHOP, Ennead, Weiss+Manfredi, but not quite as cold and corporate as Gensler or SOM.  But hey, I'll take what I can get...beggars can't be chosers...

Any and all advice is appreciated (except for the trolls...and if you do, better make it funny ;)**

I really think you should look at international employment. Most people your age with your level of experience are looking in the same small pond that you're looking in. For me, there were too many opportunities abroad that I didn't want to miss out by only applying for work domestically. Think about it, America is way behind the rest of the world when it comes to contemporary and sustainable architecture. Singapore and the Slavic countries are way more advanced and forward thinking. When I was looking for international employment, Employment Crossing was the best resource for me. I had access to the widest selection of architect positions all over the world and left the states. Best of luck to you! But seriously, don't limit yourself by only looking domestically. 

Jan 6, 14 7:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: