Archinect
anchor

practical portolio/work samples

biripbirip

Does anyone out there find themselves lugging with yourself tons of paper when going to job interviews?

As a cumulative result of 10 yrs in the industry, I have found myself doing that exact thing lugging around a stack of probably 6-7 inches worth of "selected" work samples (mainly 11x17 construction documents of various project types). I've had mixed experiences with this. "Quantity" certainly impresses the interviewer, especially as it is also "quality" work (or at least i would like to think so). But other times, people really get it after just going through a few pages of a really good set of CD's.

Since sometimes interviewers also want to see more personal work, and skills other than CAD, I also bring along some school stuff, competitions, etc) which are one separate booklets of their own.

I guess one of the main issues is that I do not have one sole package/portfolio, and end up with a pile of different format books that could potentially be seen as unorganized. I am currently employed and do ot have a lot of time to spend on designing a portfolio, but I do recognize that a more abridged, single-format package could be more effective (and easier to carry).

Anyway, I was wondering if someone out there has any suggestions as to how to edit and condense all these materials into one more abridged package. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Jul 22, 09 9:03 am
poop876

Unless you are drafter it is not necessary to show all the cad work you have done. Any employer knows that with 10 years of experience, you should be able to draw floor plans, sections etc. What have you been doing for 10 years, that is the question? Have you been drafting or have you been leading projects. My porfolio consists of images of built projects and some floor plans/sections to explain. Having multiple sections, floor plans, elevations gets really boring and it is redundant. I think it is enough to tell them that you can put a set together without showing them all the architecturals, MEP's etc.

Jul 22, 09 10:23 am  · 
 · 
citizen

I agree with Poop.

I've put together an 8.5x11 booklet of work samples that devotes about 3 pages to each chosen project. On each page: anything from two large images to 6 smaller ones (plans, sections, elevations, diagrams, photos) that give a good sense of the project, and of your abilities. (Remember, nobody has to build the project from these sample images, only understand it.

I also bring a few whole-project booklets with me to interviews, to drag out of my bag in case the discussion warrants it.

Jul 22, 09 10:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: