Archinect
anchor

things to see/ do in Philiadelphia

jennysue

I'll be spending a few days in Philadelphia mid-month and was looking for suggestions on architecture or anything else interesting to see or do. i've never been....

Jul 2, 09 10:03 am
Philarch

There were two previous threads that might be of interest.

Here & Here

Are you planning on driving around/walking/public transportation?

Jul 2, 09 10:58 am  · 
 · 
jennysue

thanks for the links, i'm thinking Mutter museum, Eastern State pen, and furness library to start. i don't have a food plan yet...

i'll be driving down from Boston, but hoping to spend most time out of the car once there...how is the public transportation?

Jul 2, 09 11:22 am  · 
 · 
kungapa

Barnes Foundation is great. Not sure if it is still open though.

Jul 2, 09 11:34 am  · 
 · 

Rodin museum is something that sticks out in my mind, Richards Med lab (Kahn) at Penn

Jul 2, 09 11:44 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

you must see Eakins Gros Clinic!

Jul 2, 09 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

The Barnes should still be running. The original one is outside the city though and requires a reservation usually. I can't wait for the new one being designed by Tod Williams and Billy Tsien.

I like the Philadelphia Art Museum, but its so large and takes up a lot of time to do it properly. The Rodin Museum is small, but worth the visit. Check out the mosaic museum on South Street too. There are some small local art studios in Old City - its also a fun to walk around there in general. Christ's Church located in Old city is very historic (the church to a large # of the people that signed the Declaration of Independence). There are art scenes in Northern Liberties and Fishtown, but if you're new to the city and you're alone, it may not be the safest.

City Hall is worth the visit. The Kimmel Center was controversial when it opened, but its worth a visit for the buildings in a building concept. Rittenhouse Park is one of my favorite parks in the city - its just so damn well defined. Go see the Liberty Bell - VERY VERY touristy, but the building is surprisingly modern and the contrast with the historic Indepedence Hall is interesting. I.M. Pei's National Constitution Center is right around there. There are some surviving Brutalist Architecture, Neo Classical Architecture, and the few surviving Frank Furness's buildings (if only one, I'd go with the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art).

For food, you really can't go wrong. Reading Terminal is touristy, but for good reason. Where else can you find authentic Pennsylvania Dutch (amish) food in Philly? Italian Market has good food (but thats the only place south of South Street I recommend you visit if you're new to the city).

To get a real feel for Philly though, you're going to have to do some walking (in safe areas) and get a feel for the local vibe. Coffee shops, BYOBs, used book/record stores, old residential streets, weird stores, etc.

Public trasportation is OK, not great.

Jul 2, 09 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Oh, forgot to mention the Comcast Center's huge LED wall. Its the largest in the world or something. The content they display on that wall is fascinating, and its open to the public.

Jul 2, 09 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
med.
Jul 2, 09 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

i agree with the Comcast Center's LED wall
it is pretty cool to check out

I work across the street from it in the Suburban Station building, and like to take a walk over there during lunch every now and then to see what kind of display is up

I imagine over this weekend they will have some decent stuff up too

and you definitely need to get a cheesesteak i would guess

Jul 2, 09 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
ryukyova

yes...cheesesteak at Pats not Ginos please.

Here are a few others

Penn Campus
City Hall
30th Street Station (you'll recognize it from many movies)
Riverfront....ehhh....maybe not.
PSFS Building now Lowes Hotel.
Definitely the Rodin Museum (don't even have to go in just walk the grounds and look at the 'Gates of Hell')

Architecture-wise... not much big name, current day architecture going on but:

The Kimmel ...is ok
Comcast Center, Stern (since I don't live there anymore I haven't seen this but if there is anyway to go to the top...)

Eat at:
Reading Terminal - Breakfast
Pats not Ginos - Lunch
Monks Cafe - Dinner

Late Night:

live music at the Tin Angel

Jul 2, 09 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

definitely agree w monks...or eulogy....pats and ginos are for tourists...jim's on south street is the real deal.

Jul 2, 09 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

an italian hoagie at lee's and/or koch's both v good.
furness library at penn. check out the studios overlooking the main reading room. organizationally its a pretty interesting building.

Jul 2, 09 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i had a great time at monk's.

Jul 2, 09 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

the best steak (better than pat's, geno's, or jim's) can be found at john's roast pork... which is literally a little shack that is basically in the middle of nowhere... although it is right around the corner from ikea... unfortunately they're only open monday-friday from like 11am-3pm (or when they run out of rolls, if earlier)

i'll second slatibart's suggestion of northern liberties (my neighborhood) and fishtown for both galleries and architecture and restaurants/bars for that matter... both are perfectly safe... get a burger and local beer at the standard tap or johnny brenda's... all of onion flats stuff is in these neighborhoods... you could also check out the new piazza at schmidt's which is surrounded by galleries and restaurants and was designed by erdy mchenry... while you're their, wave to me in the top-floor corner apartment of the older building!

Jul 3, 09 9:29 am  · 
 · 
ORomaniuk

I disagree with Jim's on South Street... overrated, really.

The Comcast Center is something definitely worth seeing, especially their lobby. Definitely has that wow factor going for it.

The Philadelphia Art Museum and the nearby Pelerman gallery always have a lovely collection of art - especially the contemporary art collection permanently displayed in the main building.

The National Constitution center (designed by Henry Cobb, btw) is a lovely building to visit as well.

I was always very happy with the public transportation - especially the subway system - it stretches along the length of Market Street and can get you anywhere from Old City to University City.

Jul 3, 09 10:35 am  · 
 · 
jennysue

oh i forgot about onion flats...thanks for all the suggestions. feeling hungry now...

Jul 3, 09 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Oh, come on guys, there is more to Philly than cheesesteaks.

architphil - Didn't mean to inadvertently bash Northern Liberties or Fishtown. I don't think they're dangerous areas in themselves, but as someone new to the city I wouldn't want to wander around there and get lost in the shady part of town. There are no clearly defined boundaries saying "you are now leaving Northern Liberties", you know?

Hmm, I always kinda grouped the Pei, Cobb & Freed buildings together, no matter who the actual designer is - and then I call them I.M. Pei buildings. I guess thats a mistake on my part.

I still suggest you go IN the rodin museum. Not just for the architecture, for one of the best collections of Rodin works outside of France. One of the best Paul Cret buildings IMO.

Jul 3, 09 1:42 pm  · 
 · 

no offense taken slatibart... to stay within the "safe"r part of northern libs i wouldn't venture too far past girard on the north, 5th on the west, spring garden on the south, and 2nd or hancock on the east... not sure about fishtown... i only head up there for shows at johnny brendas... if you do venture up this way, i highly recommend paesanos on girard... awesome italian style sandwiches... they're incredibly busy now after winning "the best italian hoagie" in philadelphia, but in my opinion, the hoagie is actually their worst sandwich... i'm partial to the gustaio (homemade lamb sausage, roasted fennel, roasted cherries, some sort of bleu cheese, and a few other things)... when you can get great food like that, there's really no need to get a cheesesteak more than once every few months...

also, while on the Penn campus, take a few minutes to check out the architectural archives gallery in the basement of the furness/fischer library... they always have some pretty cool stuff on display... right now they have an early sketch of the vanna venturi house that is completely different from how it was built... makes one wonder how history may have been different if that version was built instead...

Jul 3, 09 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

yeah, cheesesteaks and the Mutter museum but maybe not together.

Jul 3, 09 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Yeah Mutter is cool. Penn's got the Williams and Tsein building (Skirkanich), the KieranTimberlake building (Levine) and the new Maki building (Annenburg) which is almost done. I'm not sure if you you be able to get in any of them as you aren't a student, plus it's summer. Also, you may see some sites which were featured in Transformers 2, Revenge of a Terrible Movie. In Northern Liberties there is the Piazza which I hear is good. It's by ErdyMcHenry (or at least partially). They also have the Radian on 40th and Walnut which is decent, but it's residential so you can't get in. There are a few shops on the lower level though.

Avoid South Street unless you are a 15 year old goth/skated kid. It's way lame.

I never went to the Mint, but that may be cool. I was going to go, but I had a camera and you can't take them in and they don't have anywhere to store them while you tour. I never ended up going back.

Jul 4, 09 12:30 am  · 
 · 

yeah, the skirkanich/levine complex is really nice... if you're there during the day on a weekday, the doors should be open... at least they were a few weeks ago when i took a friend over there... at a minimum you can get into the beautiful little courtyard between the two... but the inside of skirkanich is definitely worth seeing if the doors are open... some really beautiful details...

Jul 4, 09 7:20 am  · 
 · 
xaia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMm99pHMR5Y

you gotta do it.

i dare you.

happy independence day to all.

Jul 4, 09 10:01 am  · 
 · 
"...the grand and the grungy."

how true

Jul 4, 09 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron
Jul 6, 09 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: