Archinect
anchor

Wooden Spoons

ge-ril-a

I just thought i would share some of my latest, (design efforts)

please feel free to comment either here, in this thread

on flickr (for photos)

and youtube (for video)

"A little film about whittling"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl5WcGlCqCo

A pair of caddy spoons

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48181132@N00/sets/72157618530272467/

i hope you like them.

reason i am posting here is i trained as an architect, was a member quite a while ago and just wanted to get some feedback from arch/design related proffesional people. (normal people seem to like them) but who knows.

Jun 30, 09 6:17 am
liberty bell

Lovely.

Is the sycamore really that white-colored?

How awesome to have every single thing you touch in your home/workspace be handmade or custom. Those tiny moments of a daily routine - like scooping coffee - can be so much more satisfying with a well-designed tool.

Jun 30, 09 8:31 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

They are beautiful! But... what is a "caddy spoon"? How is this used? Would love to see some shots of them in use -- or some shots of a hand holding them, would help with scale. Very pretty objects though -- something about the tear-drop shape has always fascinated me and these are very elegant looking.

Jun 30, 09 9:06 am  · 
 · 
ge-ril-a

hi there,

i am glad some people like them.

the sycamore is very pale, all the photographs we re taken with a white watercolour paper background. the softest and palest ones probably have some desaturation aswell though. I would describe the colour as a very pale gold, that does glow white in sunlight.

I have taken some shots of them in action. (adnd will add them to flcikr once i sort rhough my backlog) but They are (designed?) to be used to scoop or spoon tea leaves or coffee grounds from a tin (or caddy) to the kettle or coffee pot.

they were "whittled/carved" using traditional spoon/bowl making knives. (one straight bladed and one with a curved blade [for the bowl]) a "crook knife". and then sanded by hand.

they are about 85mm (long) x 50mm (wide) x 20 (deep) with an average wood thickness of about 5mm.

Made as a pair (one for tea one for coffee) from a scrap of wood that might have ended up cooking pizza on the wood burning stove, and i carved them with the "tear" (or water) depending on your emotions droplet idea in mind. and maybe one pencil outline to start off. but the rest was purely by hand.

another link to a "sugar spoon" (used in a sugar bowl for putting 1 spoon or two in your tea or coffee.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48181132@N00/sets/72157619291447609/

this was the first spoon i made back in 2006

And yes, they do make making coffee a pleasure.

Thinking about using them as a positive mould for some short run castings (metal) or other moulded material (not keen on plastics) but also interested in developing them as a less one off application.

any thoughts or ideas welcome.

ok

back to work

(got to go and build some treehouses!)

Jun 30, 09 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Nice. This reminded me of the time I visited the Wharton Esherick Museum (which was his house). I don't even know if he had made the kitchen utensils that I saw, but they left a strong impression on me. There is something about utensils that are handmade from wood - has a kind of refined rustic thing going on that I really like.

Jun 30, 09 11:04 am  · 
 · 
ge-ril-a

"DONT PANIC" SLARTIBARTFAST! : )

Jun 30, 09 11:18 am  · 
 · 
SpoonMe

I used to get the wooden spoon on the ass as a kid when I [deserved it], so my mom may have opted for an even more painful alternate behandled utensil....so naturally I'm not sure how I feel about a wooden spoon without handles. The workmanship is beautiful, however - thanks for sharing.

Jun 30, 09 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
logon'slogin

^Hey Spoonk'd, You're A Big Boy Now.

Jun 30, 09 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Oh, I see, interesting! I can see them absorbing some of the colors / scents of their dedicated foodstuff over time -- would be interesting. Very cool. As you use some, you should continue to post pictures over time.

Jun 30, 09 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Ooh-- I LOVE the sugar spoon! Although, as someone who struggles with arthritis, I would not be able to use it. You should put up a side view -- the handle looks quite elegant but isn't properly shown via top view only.

Jun 30, 09 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
ge-ril-a

hi mantaray.
i will look out some other photographs from different angles

I am sure i have some somewhere.

the handle was very slender (in the end a little too slender, and i now need to make a copy to replace the broken one) : (

i have not really addressed accessability issues (arthritis)

but would be interested to hear what would make a good spoon for you.

(wider handle more like a chisel handle?) [easier to grip]

please let me know and i will see what i can come up with,

also making some celebrity spoons at the moment.

more soon

(including pictures of caddy spoons in action)

joseph

thanks for the dedication:

i prefer a little bit of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQlbW2xzJ0I

or one of the many other spoon related musicians/producers!

Jul 2, 09 4:28 am  · 
 · 
ge-ril-a

or maybe some of this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VvMfNCqNaY

Jul 2, 09 4:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: