Archinect
anchor

dancing to (landscape) Architecture

seen on curbed

produced by a student in Cal Poly Pomona's Landscape Architecture program, we're treated to some interpretive dance downtown. Lacking the bravura of dancers gliding across Frank Gehry's roofs, and the silliness of an improvisational dance in front of Gehry's Santa Monica home, the video instead earnestly showcases the landscape at three downtown sites: Rafael Moneo's Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, the Cornfields, and Thom Mayne's Caltrans building. Hm, three sites with plenty of room to dance, since all three have underutilized public spaces. We're just glad to see something happening in them, even if it has to be interpretive dance.

Over the past few decades there have been other such performances created as architecture school projects. Anybody else got them on film or willing to discuss their own inspired spatial movements?

Jun 16, 09 7:43 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

i am a big fan of Bruce Nauman's work...

Jun 16, 09 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
binary

breakdancing in the park... been there... done that

Jun 16, 09 8:02 pm  · 
 · 

hey, lb, we should get our kids to do this!

Jun 16, 09 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Ugh, I thought this was going to be a buildering video based on the screenshot above..

Jun 17, 09 1:14 am  · 
 · 
MichelleLi

Never heard about dancing to architecture. I have to admit that the video made me laugh. It's just a very odd scene but why not, it's a special and unique thing. Creativity is one of the characteristics many of the children nowadays don't seem to have.

Jun 18, 09 10:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: