Archinect
anchor

Your approach to marketing your firm?

clemsontiger

I'm a Registered Landscape Architect here in S.C., employed with an engineering firm.

As the work through our Engineers disappears, I am strapping on my boots and hitting the pavement to drum up some work of my own. I've developed a small (10 page) project sample portfolio that shows the range of my work. I have it in print form and emailable pdf.

I have come to this forum because my initial target market will be local architects. My ultimate goal would be a meeting, but I don't want to be pushy, but this is one hell of a pushy market and the squeaky wheel...blablabla. Sometimes the key to a meeting is through the lovely gatekeepers at reception.

My question is, what is the popular approach?
How do you each like to be approached by an individual?
Is it email or hard copy?
Is it a brief phone call to introduce and request a drop off or email of materials?
Is it a lunch meeting?

I want to run my own firm and need these skills to be successful, so I appreciate any insight.

Jun 15, 09 10:24 pm
outed

clemson - be careful about marketing yourself as 'a firm' while on someone else's payroll. most employers (and i'm in this camp) don't take too kindly to that particular 'initiative'. personally, i'd boot your derrière out on the street if i got wind of what you were up to...

that said, if you're trying to get an architect's attention, i'd do a website before any printed material. even a basic website, cleanly done, will do wonders because it can allow for me to peruse your work on my time.

lunch always works wonders as well.

don't go cheap on your fees but no matter what, provide kick ass service. for me or whoever you work for. that will pay the biggest dividends and go the longest way towards marketing yourself.

Jun 16, 09 12:12 am  · 
 · 
Larchinect

I guess it's not through online discussion forums ;) I was unclear on whether you are trying to drum up work for yourself or the office you work for? If it's for the office you work for, what's to stop you from starting your own home practice the same way? Please excuse my naivete.

I'm one of the apparent few landscape designers on here. I'm a recent BSLA graduate. Is there any way you could share some of your work samples here?

I understand if you'd rather not.

Good Luck!

Jun 16, 09 12:18 am  · 
 · 
clemsontiger

Sorry, I should have clarified. I am the only LA in an Engineering office, so I am solely responsible for bringing in work when the work I get internally dries up. So, I am trying to find new business for the firm, not myself.

Jun 16, 09 11:11 am  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

Not sure that I can give you too many answers, but here is my perspective from an architect who has his own practice.

You have some serious strikes against you, unfortunately. People that are marketing to me now drive me up a wall to be honest. I get probably a half a dozen calls per week from GC's that I have never met before looking for work. That is in addition to virtually every consultant (landscape, structural, MEP, interior designer, etc). I have even gotten solicitation from sub-contractors (even an excavator - not sure what they thought I could do for them???).

I bet that I actually sit down and spend time with any of them MAYBE 1 out of every 25 solicitations. I NEVER meet with people that just mail promo material and NEVER with people that just walk into my office (what are they thinking?). Basically, I might meet with you if you somehow have a common contact that recommended you to me AND you sent materials that I liked AND you called and made an appointment. Otherwise, you would never get into see me (and I am sure that I am not uncommon with this).

Basically, I have around 15 to 20 General Contractors (for example) that I am comfortable working with, many of whom have recommended work to me in the past. Everyone is needing work these days, so why would I send any work (or the ability to bid on a project) to someone new? It's just a huge disadvantage right now.

So, the best advice that I can give you that will help you right now, is to try to get to new contacts through your existing network.

The best advice that I can give you that will not help you right now (but I cannot stress enough) is to do this kind of networking when times are good, not when times are bad and EVERYONE is trying to "drum up work".

Good luck.

Jun 16, 09 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
anti

CT,

I am also a land arch - my thoughts are going to be the same as all the other ways of drumming up work.
Network. Network. Network.

Go to AIA happy hours or similar events with a pocket of business cards and a willingness to schmooze. People hire people they remember. Your work has to be good when they ask to see it, but they will hire you, not your portfolio.

Jun 16, 09 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
clemsontiger

tyvek,

I understand your points and agree with all of them, actually. I too, get solicitations that I simply toss out or delete from my email....and I would never set foot in an office unannounced.

I must clarify a few other points as well. We are a 25 year old Civil firm that has only begun to practice LA since my arrival. Thus, many in our existing network have worked with us from a civil standpoint. I would be making connections with somewhat current relationships, to make them aware of the type of things we are doing on the LA side.

Typically when we work with an architect, it is on a big project as the civil and another, much larger, boutique type firm gets the LA work. Do we offer our LA services? sure, but I am certain that we can provide great service, a quality product and one that is much more competitive than the bigger boys. But my market needs to know that.

So, I'm not approaching this with hat in hand, desperate for work. We could certainly use the work. More so, I want to make them aware of what we do in the least annoying, yet effective way possible.

Thanks for the feedback. Every perspective helps.

Jun 16, 09 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

For LA I would be looking at teh landscape contractors. In our area I have been following http://www.landscapeconcepts.com/ They have a dedicated marketing person who drums up work for them. He is a great guy.

As part of what he does is sits as a director of a number of local groups. examples are a Main Street board as well is a a chamber of commerce. He introduced me to linkedin.

I have been following his example and it has been paying large dividends for my company.

Jun 23, 09 6:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: