Archinect
anchor

International Jobs - Visas and other necessities

AfRoThUnD312

Hi all, I am currently in the job hunt and live in NY, NY. I want to work internationally but am getting worried about finding an internship that will actually take me on. I don't have any EU connections (ie work permit or residency) and i have heard that it is some what of a catch 22 with my situation. Firms won't hire me because I don't have a work permit and I can't get a work permit because the firm won't hire me.

I have been researching and I found that only qualified individuals, for instance, in Denmark with a masters of architecture can get a work visa. Now i have a B. Arch from a top school, but is it possible to get a visa as an Intern or for the firm to actually hire me?

thanks in advance!

Jun 15, 09 6:50 pm
IamGray

In short, yes.

I'm a Canadian working in Germany, and I've come across many other North-American expats working here. Obviously it is doable. It just might be more or less difficult.

How old are you? Generally if you're young or a student (or a recent graduate), things will be much easier. Canada has youth-mobility agreements with most EU nations, that grant work + residency permits for up to a year to just about anyone who's a student or recent grad. The great thing is, the visa isn't contingent on you securing a job first (you just need to provide the embassy with a financial statement, return airfare, and proof of health insurance), and it allows you to do just about anything. Check to see if the United States has any similar such programs.

Barring that, have you just tried applying? International firms like BIG, JDS, 3XN (to use your Denmark example) are probably accustomed to having lots of foreign interns / employees. If they like what they see in your portfolio and have spots available, I'm sure they'll know what to do.

Jun 15, 09 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Charisma124

Try IAESTE or AIESEC clubs---they both offer internships abroad for students, or recent grads... also BUNAC is an organization providing visas for UK (must be enrolled full time the semester before) and Australia (must be under 26 i believe). Also i think there are holiday-working visas for New Zealand available for young people

Also for China.... once you get here, get hired... and have a degree in architecture, it's not too hard to get a working permit if you submit yourself to full physical and various other invasions of privacy...

Jun 15, 09 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
ScottC

Denmark tends to be a bit more complicated than the majority of Europe as they are not full members of the EU, and they have a different set of requirements for a Visa. I've been told they're also getting a little more strict and making it much more complicated to get a visa during the economic downturn in Denmark.

Outside of that, many companies that have large international staff will let you know how things work. Usually you will find that a 3 month unpaid period may be required, and its legal because you can be abroad for 3 months in the Shengen zone. I was ok w/o financial statement or round trip flight, I just made sure to tell the customs agent I was staying under 90 days (legal max for tourists).

The requirements for "masters degree" are a little misleading because a lot of european schools will give a masters after 5 years instead of a bachelors. Usually, being an architect is good enough, as it is a skilled profession and you are placed in higher regard when applying for a working permit.

Your best bet in general is northern Europe, specifically Holland because of the very broad knowledge of English. Yes, a lot of Europe knows english, but most of them don't want to function in an office in english.

Good luck

Jun 21, 09 11:00 am  · 
 · 
JaRchy

"Also for China.... once you get here, get hired... and have a degree in architecture, it's not too hard to get a working permit if you submit yourself to full physical and various other invasions of privacy..."

By invasion of privacy he means a TB and Hepatitis test that can be performed stateside.

Your firm will take care of all the paper work and register you at the local police station. Just make sure you get at least a business visa before you come over. A co-worker was nearly deported because he came here on a tourist visa and didn't want to spring for the new visa.

Anyways, there are plenty of opportunities in China even if you don't speak a word of mandarin.

Jun 26, 09 5:30 am  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

Does any one have specifics on finding employment in Denmark? Ive been to the Architects Association of Denmark web site, but it seems to exist to promote architecture there, rather than as an employment resource. Any help?

Jul 25, 09 10:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: