Archinect
anchor

reflective roof paint

MArch n' unemployed

seeing as i went to architecture school my landlord always comes to me whenever he has 'architectural' questions - it's always fun to see his version of architectural as compared to mine. so this morning he asks me if there is anything he can put on the black asphalt roof of the building to be more energy conscious.

there has to be some sort of white paint you can apply over the existing asphalt, no? i told him i'd do the research if he'd pay me to apply it...this is what it has come to.

is anyone familiar with any such products and if so can you steer me in that direction?

thanks.

Jun 10, 09 2:41 pm
ether

10% cut and i'll tell ya.

Jun 10, 09 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
hillandrock
http://www.koolseal.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=20-496

SHAZAAM.

Jun 10, 09 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

MArch,
seriously if you could come up with some product that is white in the summer to reflect the heat and black in the winter to do the opposite then you would never have to come on archinect and post anything, at least you would have to change your nick....youd be set!

Jun 10, 09 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

ether, 8.25% and i'll call you tax

Jun 10, 09 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
binary

silver.....

what type of roof does he have?..... flat/sloped/tar/epdm

Jun 10, 09 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
binary

ahh... i just seen asphalt.....

Jun 10, 09 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Like the koolseal that hillandrock linked, there are a ton of alumnized heat rejecting roof paints intended for built-up roofs. Out here in California you can get them at Home Depot.

Jun 10, 09 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

If you live in an area that has more heating degree days than cooling degree days (which is most of the US), a white roof really doesn't pay off. It'll will help to reduce urban heat island effect though.

Jun 11, 09 8:32 am  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

I need to reference the source on this -- it's from some roofing website. I have a published study of the same topic/recommendation, but it is almost generic info by now anyway.

The hdd/cdd factor hardly matters. Essentially, white roofs are the ticket EVERYWHERE in the continental U.S.

".....Q: I live in a northern tier climate, and have heard that any summertime energy savings I realize with a white roof will be offset by winter heat loss. Doesn't a black roof help me save money on heating costs during the winter?

A: In the northern tier of the United States, one might think that a black roof would provide a winter heating benefit to building owners. However, there are several factors that make any potential heat gain relatively immaterial:

The laws of physics dictate that hot air will always rise. Thus, any heat that is transferred to the interior of a building structure from the outside will remain at the top of the structure, providing minimal heat savings.

In all parts of North America, there are fewer hours of sunlight during winter. In fact, in some areas, there is a greater than six hour difference between peak-summer and peak-winter sunlight, meaning there is less sunlight available to contribute to a building's potential warming. Plus, the angle of the sun is less direct, which also helps to minimize warming potential.

In many areas, roofs are covered with snow for much of the winter, turning them "white," and eliminating any potential black roof heat gain.

The energy required to air condition a building in the summer is usually considerably greater than the energy to heat it in the winter, making the potential for summer energy cost savings much greater with a highly reflective white roof than winter savings with a heat-absorbing black roof. ..."

Jun 11, 09 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: