Archinect
anchor

becoming a landscape architect

I was wondering what it would take to become a licensed landscape architect for the state of Illinois? I already have my masters in architecture from an accredited school. Would there be any further academic work that I would need to complete, or is it simply working under a licensed landscape architect for a period of time and then taking the exam?

I briefly looked at the CLARB website but couldn't find a clear answer. And if this has already been discussed on archinect I apologize for not being able to find it as well.

May 31, 09 9:16 pm
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

with a masters and a hot sonic youth referencing tag you should be answering these questions fer fux sake.

Jun 1, 09 12:13 am  · 
 · 
Larchinect

What would it take for me to become a licensed architect with my BSLA?

I would say you would need to go to school for landscape architecture. If not, I'd be pretty disappointed. I don't mean to presume, but what makes you think you could go right into landscape from architecture? Have you taken any landscape specific studios or site engineering courses? Have you had any experience with site design, grading, planting design and horticulture, soil science, ecology, and natural resources?

There may be alot more to it than you think, but again, I don't mean to presume.

The short answer- Many states now require two to three years of apprenticeship after receiving your degree under licensed landscape architects in order to sit. I am still a few years away from taking the exam, but from what I have heard (and I don't know how this compares to the ARE) the BAR exam has a higher passing rate than the LARE.

I also know that in many states (or at least Colorado), Architects and civil engineers are able to practice landscape architecture-though this is soon changing.

I hope this helps a bit. I'd be curious to know what you find.

Jun 1, 09 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Larchinect

I don't know, but I clicked it life a fool out of curiosity and now my laptop is smoking..Is that bad?

Jun 1, 09 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Well, it immediately struck me as suspicious - note the person's totally generic name '923julia', only 2 posts, and a general statement in broken english that pertains to the thread, along with a random link.

Definitely tell-tale signs of chinese/korean keylog attempt. I didn't realize archinect had these.

Jun 1, 09 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
hillandrock

Nope, it's a website selling high-quality counterfeit Nikes.

Jun 1, 09 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
daydreamnation

Larchinect - I appreciate your response. I do not feel like I could go right into landscape from architecture. Working under a LA for a period of time would provide the knowledge to at some point be ready to take the exam. It sounds like a degree is however necessary. From my experience working in the field is much more productive than anything an education can provide. And with a general knowledge of design (March), I feel like some of that academic time and expense could be skipped.
Any suggestions on schools in the Midwest area and how long these programs may take for someone who already has a previous degree?

Jun 1, 09 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Daydreamnation-

the asla has info on all states title/practice requirements.

Exemptions: The law does not prevent any person from being engaged in the practice of landscape architecture so long as he or she does not represent himself or herself as, or use the titles of, landscape architect or registered landscape architect.

Illinois Requirements: [Passage of the LARE] and an approved professional degree in landscape architecture from an approved and accredited program and two years of approved practical experience in landscape architectural work. [A master’s degree from an approved program may serve in lieu of one year of practical experience. Experience includes (but is not limited to) work in a landscape architect’s office or work in the office or government agency where an architect or engineer is legally authorized to practice. Experience also includes teaching or research in an approved program. All experience must be under the supervision of a landscape architect, architect or engineer.]

As an architect, you can 'practice' as an architect and create projects that include the landscape - just don't call yourself a landscape architect.

Larchinect - there isn't the same reciprocity for 'scapers looking to get into architecture. if you wish to become an RA,you gotta go back to school for an MArch (which should be only a 2 year process), then submit to the idiocy of IDP.

The good midwestern arch programs include: Cranbrook (non-professional, so won't help), Michigan, Ohio State (KSA), U Cincy. UMN, IIT, Iowa, Kent State, Wisconsim and the other programs are strong, but don't have the profile outside of the midwest.

oh, I emailed archinect about the spammer.

-TK, RLA
Jun 1, 09 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

ddn-

Sounds like you're in the right frame of mind. I can sympathize with you actually as I'd be interested in going into architecture, but the thought of more school (tuition) turns me off as well. I went to Colorado State for my undergrad. I know University of Colorado at Denver has a graduate LA program, but I'm not sure how well the program ranks nationally.

Good Luck!

Jun 1, 09 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
daydreamnation

Thanks for your input Larchinect and treekiller.

Jun 1, 09 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Colorado has Alan Berger teaching, which makes it a cool place to study...

Jun 1, 09 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
"The Co-op Guy"

I believe Alan Berger is with MIT and has been for a while, I thought he left UCD a while back

Jun 1, 09 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

bummer for UCD, MIT's star is rising!

Jun 1, 09 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: