Archinect
anchor

GRE

awkeytect

Does anyone know from experience how much weight is given to the GRE scores in applying to Grad schools? I've kinda always assumed the portfolio and essays/letters of rec carried a greater importance.

Is this a make or break stat on the resume?

May 28, 09 3:27 pm
not_here

the portfolio is 10 times more important.

i had great gre scores and still got rejected from my top choices.

i blame my (then) craptastic portfolio.

May 28, 09 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
awkeytect

glad to hear the portfolio is on the up and up

May 28, 09 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
gaas

Don't worry about GRE.

My GRE was something like 300, which is really low...and I was still accepted ( UCLA ) with a Fellowship.

Worry about your portfolio and statement of purpose.

May 28, 09 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
finB

gass_will you be in the MArch II starting this summer?

awkeytect _I agree with everyone, dont worry about the GRE, the most important thing is the portfolio.

May 29, 09 2:50 am  · 
 · 
LucasGray

I totally bombed on the GRE. Like historically bad. Still got into 2 out of 4 grad programs I applied to. Its all about portfolio, essays, and interesting background.

May 29, 09 4:36 am  · 
 · 
j'aime

My first choice was not in the US at the AA, therefore i did not spend much time studying for GRE. Neverthelss in the US I applied for GSD, Columbia, and Sciarc. (GRE is only for US schools)

I got 700q 420v, the 420 being a clear weakness far below what is an acceptable mark. I got into Sciarc, but was rejected from both harvard and columbia. Columbia on their website have a minimum of 450 in verbal and harvard have no minimum mark. I rang them up and they said my portfolio was medium to high and the rest was medium low, the 'low' part being the GRE verbal. So in the end i think if it had id been slightly higher it would not have been important, but being this low, it was a major 'red flag' as the women called it.

So I agree with everything above, the portfolio is not 10 times more important, it is about 100 times more important....but a weakness in an application is a weakness.

(i'm bit shocked to hear the 300 UCLA case above, but i think everyone would accept how irrelevant the GRE is to the actual course.)

May 29, 09 5:35 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

j'aime, I'd be curious to see what a medium/high portfolio looks like! (in Columbia's eyes)

Care to share? :D

May 29, 09 9:53 am  · 
 · 

isn't the gre mainly used to determine those who get scholarships? like an objective determiner?

i didn't do great on the gre and got into all the schools i applied to but one... (going to gsd). just get it out of the way and work on portfolio... i think most of the people i know scored between 1050 and 1300 and they all got into their top choices.

May 29, 09 10:25 am  · 
 · 
I_wasn't_even_there!

Despite the fact that the GRE is not weighted heavily, I had a great time studying for the verbal. I memorized like 1000 extra words which have been invaluable. I got a 640 in the verbal but was only accepted to UCLA (no fellowship). Anyway, my point is that if you consider it more than studying for the GRE, it is a good excuse to increase your vocab. See you at UCLA gaas! Maybe you can give me some of that fellowship money.

May 29, 09 10:46 am  · 
 · 
stefjam

how far in advance is it recommended to take the gre for people submitting their applications this year? i'll be taking a full load of classes and working in the fall, so i'm wondering when i'll even have time to study for this test.

May 29, 09 11:40 am  · 
 · 
I_wasn't_even_there!

you can get away with taking it as late as early December. Start memorizing words now. Its easier to cram for the math than the verbal.

May 29, 09 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
SoulBrother#1

like everyone else is saying, don't sweat the GRE. The portfolio is what matters most.

May 29, 09 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
gaas

hey...I graduated already.....and the money is GONE :)

May 29, 09 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
ggrgr

gaas did you really get 300 on the GRE and still got accepted to ucla? did you sleep with any of the admissions people?

Oct 5, 10 8:11 am  · 
 · 
mayainclck

Hey, i got a question about the GRE's. I received v:600 q:760, but I got only 3.5 on the writing part(mostly because for some reason, i thought no one cared). SO, do you guys think I should take it again?

Oct 5, 10 9:39 am  · 
 · 
ggrgr

i hate you

Oct 5, 10 10:01 am  · 
 · 
jplourde

Only the very best architects know how to write and produce from that speculative writing.

The rest of us are just craftsmen, myself included.

Oct 5, 10 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: