Archinect
anchor

Architects are comparable to...

dia

... not lawyers, doctors, dentists, pharmacists, computer programmers, kebabiers or shoe salesman, but:

Directors [Film, TV, Media]

As architect is to building, director is to film.

Discuss.

May 20, 09 10:57 pm
dia

e.g:

Terence Malick = Peter Zumthor
Stanley Kubrick = James Stirling

May 20, 09 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
dia

But in all seriousness, In think one can make a case for broad similariites between the two professions, including training, scale and scope of works, organisational structure, philosophical and technical concerns, experience of 'end-product', relative earning abilities, diversifcation of the profession etc, etc,

May 20, 09 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

proctologists

May 21, 09 12:03 am  · 
 · 

fluffers

May 21, 09 12:36 am  · 
 · 

where the director simile falls down: the potential for a middle-of-the-road director (steve carr, anyone?) to make a blockbuster that reaps huge monetary rewards for the director after it's complete.

May 21, 09 7:31 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

in terms of process, i would agree that there are a lot of similarities. i've thought about this one before too.

May 21, 09 8:49 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

steven,
do you mean to say your contracts don't specify a royalty fee for every user of your buildings!

May 21, 09 9:11 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

architects are similar to football coaches too

May 21, 09 9:38 am  · 
 · 
stone
Shrek

-For your information, there's a lot more to architects than people think.
Donkey -Example?
Shrek--Example? Okay, um, architects are like onions.
Donkey-{Sniffs} They stink?
Shrek--Yes - - No!
Donkey-They make you cry?
Shrek--No!
Donkey-You leave them in the sun, they get all brown, start sproutin' little white hairs.
Shrek--No! Layers! Onions have layers. Architects have layers! Onions have layers. You get it? We both have layers.

oh, sorry ... I meant "ogres"

May 21, 09 10:16 am  · 
 · 

architects are like roadies; we do all the work but some fucker in tight leather pants (insert other profession - ID, engineer, etc) gets the glory and the girls

May 21, 09 10:22 am  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

Directors definately make a shitload more cash than architects that's for sure...

May 21, 09 11:05 am  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

"Architects are comparable to..." the whiniest of whiny whiners most days. Including yours truly.

May 21, 09 11:50 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

ducks, decorated sheds.

May 21, 09 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
binary

puppets......

May 21, 09 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
archtd

...how sad.

May 21, 09 1:22 pm  · 
 · 

seagulls! They make alot of noise and leave shit everywhere

May 21, 09 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i knew one archy that was a 'gator'

May 21, 09 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

Video Game designers directing the 3D game team - I used to work In video games games before architecture, and there are a lot of parallel simularities in approach.

May 21, 09 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
SpoonMe

Architects are comparable to golfers - 90% of which never break 100.

May 21, 09 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
dia

In terms of income, for every Spielberg/Starchitect out there , there area a multitude of directors/architects making regional commercials for vacuum cleaner retailers/strip malls.

May 21, 09 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Architect are like vacuum cleaners....they suck it up and don't complain as long as no one messes with their design.

May 21, 09 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I tell people I'm a poet. That Architects are poets. We dont just build things, we think about them and have reasons for them.

May 21, 09 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

puddles and snook_dude tie for the archinect simile prize.

May 21, 09 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

architects are like full of shit and self pity

May 21, 09 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

i hope i just crossed a line

May 21, 09 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

architects are NOT like directors at all. Because everyone hates architects, but everyone loves the director.
If anything, architects are like writers. We supply the vision and the glue that binds everything together, but in the end no one gives a shit about us.

May 22, 09 1:31 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

nobody hates architects. maybe they just hate you.

who is the architectural Michael Bay?

May 22, 09 1:55 am  · 
 · 
SPYDER01

Architects are sexy

May 22, 09 3:22 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

who is the architectural Michael Bay?

Michael Graves perhaps?

May 22, 09 10:35 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Blackharp, I think you missed the point of a simile.

Architects are like composers. We coordinate the vision, but do not actually "perform" the work. I had thought this before hearing that Louis Kahn always thought he'd make a good composer (versus being a good piano player)

Not to merge this with the "asthetic" thread, I have recently grown to hate the superficial use of the terms aesthetic and vision (almost like a caricature) - two of the important characteristics of our profession that makes it worthwhile.

May 22, 09 11:23 am  · 
 · 
binary
May 22, 09 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
SpoonMe

If the general public got a taste of what Architects were like by frequenting the Archinect Political threads....we'd be in even worse shape than we are in now.

May 22, 09 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

"nobody hates architects. maybe they just hate you."
Thank you, that proves my point.

May 22, 09 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
xaia

architects are more like teachers...

idealistic, hardworking, "i'm not doing it for the money" bullshit, hardly any respect.

and nice eye glasses.

Jun 4, 09 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

I always thought directors are the closest thing to being an architect.
let's do a separated at birth on this onet
I rather think of Kubric as Zumthor.

Jun 4, 09 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Unfortunately the analogy falls apart when you look at the recognition, respect and financial compensation.

As with most other creative fields, the better the artist, the more pay they get and the better the projects.

Not really the case with architecture, unfortunately.

Jun 5, 09 12:12 am  · 
 · 
outed

....whores. or so sayeth phillip.

Jun 5, 09 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

i've got some sweet eyeglasses and i love black people

Jun 6, 09 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: