Archinect
anchor

Marketing ideas in a tough economy...

jhofmann

This question is particular to my own situation, yet can be applied to many aspects of the industry. Here's my dilemma...

I have a company called Archimod, where myself and a team of experienced model builders create scale physical models. Since the economy has tanked, I now have a team of model builders sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. We have a lot of creativity and a capacity to build many models at any given time (you can see some of what we've built in the past at archimod.com ). We would really like to build the complex models of the more daring, creative conceptual type but are not sure how best to market to the types of firms that do those designs. Most of our projects in the past have been accurate, realistic sales models for developers.

Any marketing ideas out there? How do you most effectively market your product to any particular group when it is something so very specific like model-making...or any other service for that matter?

I'm open to any suggestions...

Jonny

May 4, 09 11:15 pm
bRink

design a clever marketing postcard that is actually a conceptual physical model... very elegant, but somehow cheap to mass produce... that you can send to design firms as, not just a promotional postcard, but a cool little design object that firms will actually end up keeping on their desk...

either:

a. a "pop-up" book type model that exhibits a clever design, tectonoic... OR

b. the card could have some thickness to it... (might be a bit pricey, but you could make it a punchout and assemble yourself kind of model...

be sure to include the weblink to your portfolio website on the model/postcard, graphically composed so that its a part of the model... the thing could be a geometric shape or a little icon or object? not sure... something people would actually keep? like a cool little art object?

in designing the thing, its tricky but find a way to do it cheap, and pick and choose who you send it to... since they are a bit pricey, make sure you send them to the design leads of the firms, not just the front desk!

i dunno, maybe its too expensive and not feasible?

May 5, 09 12:20 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

I am surprised there are still employed skilled people

good luck with it.

May 5, 09 1:04 am  · 
 · 
trace™

You've got some impressive work there.

Postcard is a good idea. Would cost a small fortune, but, if done really, really well, could be worth it. Depends on your profit margin - ie if you landed one new job, would it pay for the production of the cards?

BUT, a well designed postcard can go a long way too.

Honestly, though, the best way is simple emails. You get better response, people can easily send out to people on their end (say you contact a project manager, he can forward your images to everyone in the team quickly). Postcards and printed stuff, while cool, gets thrown away most of the time. Don't buy a list or something like that, though. Contact specific people.

As someone that works on the presentation end of arhc/dev, I sympathize with your pain. I'd be careful about spending a ton on marketing, given we don't really know when we'll really be out of this mess. Even if someone wants to hire you, they probably don't have the business themselves.

Hang in there, work on efficiencies and ways to save. You've got the quality work, just need to find a way to spread the work without a lot of up front cash.

Good luck. I've got you bookmarked ;-)

May 5, 09 8:33 am  · 
 · 
outed

jonny,

if you're trying to 'step up' (my phrase) to get to work on more interesting work, here's what i'd try:

first, if you have already done work for the kind of firm you're targeting, take that project and document a case study of how you worked with them (the emphasis being on collaboration). how were you able to take their ideas and translate them into model form. most firms who do a lot of models (mine included) tend to produce them internally, unless we're asked to specifically produce something for fundraising, etc. which may be beyond our office skillsets. what i'd be interested in is how you work, as much as what your final product is. what is very important to most high end firms is that translation factor. if you can show how you're more empathetic to understanding their work and can translate it well, that will go much further (imho) than any kind of fancy card or pop up.

also, and i hate to suggest it, but you may want (in that case study) to give an approximate price. it won't matter too much to the highest end firms - they've got enough reimbursable that a few thousand here or there won't matter, but it would make a difference to the next tier or two down. and you do want to broaden that base some...

May 5, 09 8:50 am  · 
 · 
jhofmann

While I've been familiar with and have loved this site for quite a while, this was my first time posting. I'm really impressed with the well thought-out and intelligent responses.

I do love the "post-card" idea...even if it may prove to be expensive. It certainly would be a great way to keep my company in the forefront of peoples minds (granted they decide to keep it out on their desk and not in the trash).

I'm also very interested in the idea posted by Trace regarding email. Does anyone know how to obtain an AIA mailing list?

I like the last suggestion where I would show a small presentation of the process of high-end collaboration in the past. I do have a few marketing models I've built just for the occasion. It seems to me that a medium size city like Cincinnati won't have many architects that are willing to these types of models. Chicago, maybe...but it would take quite a bit of personal presentations before I found a client who wanted to build great models.

Thanks for your thoughts and input!

May 5, 09 11:18 am  · 
 · 
bRink

Another thought... I know that some 3D rendering / animation and visualization firms actually try to arrange lunch time marketing presentations at offices, bring a slide presentation of their work, describe their process and its a great way to get to know people at the firms who might be in need of their services.

I haven't seen a presentation at my office by a model building firm, but it seems like it could work... It would be interesting to actually *bring in some samples of your work, not just photos but I wonder if there was a way to bring in portable or assemblable models... Maybe even use that as a demo of how your firm transports models for say international competitions... how you pack them cleverly... Transporting models I know can be tricky, not something that most in-house people at architecture firms are really good at... Do you have some nice samples of portable models that you can show as a complement to your photographic portfolio?

Or maybe it could be inviting offices to come and tour your studio and facilities?

You could even offer the little "desk object" postcard or business card model sample (with your website one it) as a "leave behind" at the offices you visit?

The visualization firms usually provide lunch to the firm... Similar to product rep presentations...

Again, this may be kind of expensive, so some strategic budget planning would be needed, picking and choosing which offices to go to, etc. where you could get the best visibility... Not sure if it is worth the investment?

May 5, 09 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
panzanator

your models are beautiful.

May 5, 09 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
Gabriel

Like your stuff.. here's my 2 cents.. scrap the idea of architectural modeling for a bit.. could be months for that end to pick back up... you guys should produce an indie stop motion movie... if you start now, it can be ready for the film fest circuit next year... then.. profit!

May 5, 09 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

bRink - what 3D firms have come by your office and given a 'lunch' presentation?

May 5, 09 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
jhofmann

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll continue these marketing efforts...though ultimately, I might just need to wait for the economy to improve...

Anyone need a high quality architectural scale model at a great price??

(How's that? Internet marketing!)

May 11, 09 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
hillandrock

How much do you charge?

Haha. I actually have one or two things from my own portfolio I would like made... not for any other reason but maybe display it when I get a place to live.

May 11, 09 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
jhofmann

Sure hillandrock...we've built models before for personal designs. The cost depends on a number of factors...including size, complexity, lighting, etc. We've always tailored the cost of the model to what the individual can pay. We've even built a number of house models that people have designed in Sketchup (non-professionals). I always try to keep the cost down for students or new professionals (it wasn't long ago that I was an architecture grad student).

Go ahead and email me at [email protected] with an image, sketchup model or CAD file, and I'll send you a quote. You can also call me direct at 859-409-6587.

Jonny Hofmann

May 12, 09 9:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: