Archinect
anchor

Academic work vs. professional work for portfolio

Medusa

So I'm reworking my portfolio... I may find myself looking for a new job very soon because of financial difficulty at my workplace. I have about 2 years of professional experience in architecture, with 80% of my work being laboratory/pharmaceutical renovations. It's down & dirty stuff (i.e. construction documents, programming spreadsheets... no renderings and no "design" per se), but it's work that shows my ability to successfully deliver projects that are otherwise programming & coordination nightmares. All my pretty design stuff is limited to work I did in school.

So, my questions are:
After 2 years of professional experience, should I still have school work in my portfolio?
What is the best way to present construction drawings to employers? Should I pull specific items from drawings and format them to fit into my portfolio, or should I just depend on bringing a set of CDs to an interview?

I'd appreciate any advice.

May 2, 09 12:57 pm
LucasGray

there was a very similar thread recently. Look it up.

In general any and all work can be included in a portfolio. However, focus on the work you are passionate about and target it to the jobs you are applying for. Use school work if it shows skills you have that isn't shown in your professional experience - in this case conceptual design, renderings, etc.

Don't show too much and only show your best work.

May 2, 09 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

I have about the same amount of exp. as you. I just landed my 2nd job out of school and i would say definately bring a CD set or 2 with you to the interview. After 2 yrs exp. I didnt show any school work in my portfolio but i did have some renderings and stuff from my old job. You should probably show one project from school that shows your 3d skills. I would show a couple of select CD details in your portfolio ..probably something thats complicated and executed well. If they want to expand on that specific drawing then you have the CD set to back it up.

May 3, 09 11:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: