Archinect
anchor

A career change from civil engineering to architecture

archinous

I am a korean, 36 year old, married, with 1 kid. I studied in the US for my BA in urban planning and master of architecture. I also worked as architectural designer for 1 year in the US. Now, I have been working as civil engineer for 3 years in Korea. But, I am considering going back to the architectural design field.

It was 2009 when I graduated from graduate school. I had no chance of getting a job in the US and returned to Korea. I took a job as civil engineer at a company that runs nuclear power plants like GE, Duke Energy, etc. It is big, reputable, stable public enterprise. I make 50,000 USD yearly and do not have to worry about layoff for next 20 years. I can live as middle class here and my wife is happy. However, I do not want to be stuck in this nuclear power plant construction field for my lifetime.

For 3 years as civil engineer, I have worked at a few construction sites for nuclear power plants. I played a CM role of construction of nuclear safety-related concrete and steel structures, architectural finishes and painting works. I have participated in reviewing design drawings and technical specifications, and also coducted field inspection and handled non-conformance reports.

I want to go back to architecture and my wife agreed. If I do, I want to go abroad. I want to work at international firms. I know the decision would be risky for both me and family. So, I would like to ask some advice from you.

1. Am I too old to work as entry level architect? Hear in Korea, I am. What about architecture firms in other countries? I would be 37 next year.

2. How to prepare job application? It has been almost 4 years being out of architecture. Do I have a chance? Do firms look for my skill, design expertise or what?

3. What is next? very critical for me...

Option 1: I quit the current job. I can financially bear for 6 months or more without job. I need time to finish my portfolio. I figured out I need 500 working hours to finish it, which would take 3 month. I want to have a good and finished portfolio before I start applying jobs. However, Is portfoilo that important to get a job?

Option 2: I keep the current job until I get a new one. My family will be financially stable. However, preparing portfolio would take almost 1 year if I manage to invest 10 hours a week while keeping the current job. Another way is to ignore portfolio. I can just reorganize my current design works and make mini portfolio with little time.

Option 3: transitional job? ummm...

I would be happy to have any positive or negative advice. Thanks.

Dec 8, 13 11:39 am
gruen
Don't quit until you have the new job. You are not too old. Don't think of it as an entry level position but as a lateral or upward move. Emphasize your experience and skills.
Dec 8, 13 2:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: