Archinect
anchor

Opinion on portfolio website!

Daniel da Rocha

Hi there!

I am changing jobs now (yes, I know it is not THE moment to do that....), and uploading projects on my website and finishing my portfolio.

The website is www.ddrocha.com

What do you guys think of it?

I still have around 10 other projects to post.... the ones there are the latest. There is still some academic work, and early competitions.

I am also planning to make a hard-copy portfolio. I wouln't like to include ALL the projects, though. I heard that around 10 of the most significant project would be a good sum for a hard-copy portfolio... what do you think? then the website would be a display of almost all work (I'll skip the ones I am not proud of!), with more info on all of them.

Any feedback would be immensely appreciated!!
Thank you
Daniel

Apr 29, 09 6:46 am

The Wordpress theme is nice and clean, the way the images are organized on the secondary pages is easy to digest and the content comes across without disorientation. Does a good job of showcasing your knowledge in scripting and rendering. My only critique is that (from what I have seen) the portfolio focuses on finished work and not schematic or generative idea making work that give an idea of what your design process is like. Good luck with finding a job!

Apr 29, 09 8:32 am  · 
 · 
Daniel da Rocha

Thank you!
Just clarifying:
You think it would be more interesting to put not only final images but also diagrams and other material generated during the design process?

I did tried to focus on the final work, also because the amount of "in-between" work is immense in each project, and this would turn the amount of images in each project also very big....

The text I also tried to keep concise, but on each one of them i explain a bit of the process and also my role in each on of the projects.

Do you think the lack of process material could be a turn-off for a potential job?

Apr 29, 09 8:40 am  · 
 · 
poop876

Daniel,
NO (to including more process material). You have included diagrams etc. for some of the projects and its enough to cover your knowledge of process, progress and final output. The websit is clear and easy to navigate. Good luck with your job search, but I still believe that hardcopies are much better to have. I for example prefer to have something in my hand to review a job application!

Apr 29, 09 10:36 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I agree with poop. Presentation diagrams, etc are enough. I'd put a few more on, just to help clarify the ideas behind some of the designs (which are quite nice, by the way), but I don't think you need to put actual process work. I think diagrams done specifically for presentation purposes will fit better with the portfolio, too. It's done very nicely overall. Good luck!

Apr 29, 09 11:21 am  · 
 · 

website looks great! demonstrates you can work at a high level, but i think you should carefully edit and feature only the best projects that reflect who you are as an individual.

right now i think your website is about the right length to keep my interest. i don't think you should make it any longer.

Apr 29, 09 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
LucasGray

Some specific small changes:
I don't think you need the tag cloud and the links section at the bottom of the home page. They just clutter the page with unnecessary stuff. If you want to link to past firms or other sites add a separate link page.

Otherwise...nice job.

Are you still in Berlin?
I moved to Berlin this past January and have been doing some freelance work but am still looking for a full time position. Email me if you would like to meet up for a beer sometime or enter a design competition or something.

Apr 29, 09 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Daniel da Rocha

@poop876 thanks! I will for sure produce a hadcopy portfolio, as I also find it invaluable. But it does have to be more concise and with selected projects only, right? what do you think would be a limit?

@FrankLloydMike I will consider your hint about more diagrams. Maybe I should indeed include them for some of the projects! thanks...

@dot thank you! i do have some projects which I really like and would like to have it displayed! I think of the website more as a complete referece of my work and something I can refer to in case I have to show a particular project to someone. On my hardcopy, though, I intend to select only the ones I like the best, having enough to catch the attention with some flips through the pages...

@www.talkitect.com thanks... i always though they were a bit out of place indeed... I removed them, looks better... I'll think about it better though, as I really like the idea of a tag cloud.... ah, and email is on the way!

this is all so hard! making portfolio, selecting work. But also very fulfilling when you see it done...

Thank you all for the replies!
Daniel

Apr 29, 09 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Daniel,
I've reviewed plenty of portfolios and I can only tell you from experience what I'm usually looking for, and that always depends on the positions available. If you are new to the industry, which I'm pretty sure you are not, you want to show all of your skills in the portfolio. I've heard people not to include cad drawings in the porfolio but I always disagree with that. I want to know that you know how to draw complex sections etc. so therefore I want to see it and not just take your word for it. I'm looking for conceptual images, drawings as well as photographs if you have projects already built. If you can cover all of that in 4-5 projects then I would say it is sufficient. Sometimes I would get bored looking through the same informations/graphics over and over, so sometimes it is nice to see that one projects focuses on this type of work/skill and another one on another. Depending on the positions you are applying, you can make sure that your skills are shown for that particular opening, but if you are making a portfolio that can be used for different positions at different firms then a variety would be much better.

Apr 29, 09 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
montu

It is very well done!
Be careful everything has the same vishual quality......
Not always the best thing.
I went through it quickly but that was my first impression.
You would certanly make it to the next round!

Apr 29, 09 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
Daniel da Rocha

@montu thanks! I am aware of the ""same looks problem! But that's the thing about working in an office, no? :( I do have other work that does look different, but the latest and most prominent is the one from this office.... but hopefully it will change sooon :)

@poop876 thanks for the hints.... I'll give my hardcopy a try today!

Apr 30, 09 3:20 am  · 
 · 
LucasGray

another comment:

i think the home page and the projects page are a little repetitive. Make the home page highlighting 3 or 4 projects and make it so you don't have to scroll down. The large image is great and then one row of three small projects below it is enough.

Eliminate the previous posts link at the bottom too.

If people like the featured projects they will either click on them or continue on to the "All projects" page to see more of your work.

The other option would be to just have the home page be the projects page and have all your projects there. maybe the most recent is large at the top and the rest is just a list that goes down as long as necessary. As currently designed I don't think you need both...there is only one extra project that isn't featured on the home page right?

Apr 30, 09 5:45 am  · 
 · 
jizzy

quite amateurish but doesn't look too bad

May 1, 09 6:19 am  · 
 · 

amateurish is not the word that came to mind to me. apart from the fecally-named fellow above's good points, looks good to me.

May 1, 09 6:33 am  · 
 · 
Daniel da Rocha

@jizzy thanks! I am indeed amateur with internet, it is not my job, so I didnt bother to make the most amazing website ever. I wanted to display my work, and i guess this pre-made wordpress theme does the job. Would be curious to see your website ;)

May 1, 09 6:33 am  · 
 · 
jizzy

oh you'll see it alright

you'll see it good ;) ;) ;(

May 1, 09 7:27 am  · 
 · 

ah you were talking about the website not the work. who cares about the website? hes a bloody architect not a web-designer.

May 1, 09 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

amen jump

May 1, 09 10:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: