Archinect
anchor

How to flatten multiple surfaces in Rhino in preperation for laser cutting?

loac

Here is an image of the surfaces I am trying to flatten:

http://img.skitch.com/20090423-ttheb7afyedsj3368dn9f7j8sc.jpg

The surfaces are all flat, four corner surfaces generated using Paracloud, however I need to figure out a way to spread them all out flat on the ground plane.

I tried unroll, flatten, and smash, but those seem to be for other issues.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Apr 23, 09 2:05 pm
Mission St.

maybe Pepakura? (google it)

Apr 23, 09 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

or Lamina (there's a demo version), though have you tried "pull" or "project" to surface?

Apr 23, 09 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
loac

I'll give Pepakura and Lamina a try. Neither Pull nor Project seemed to work. Although I did try "SetPt", which sets selected points (or control points) to 0 on whatever axis you want. That works fine, however the problem is that it is not unfolded first, which is the hard part really.
If I can get the geometry unfolded perpendicular to the ground, I can get the rest.

Apr 23, 09 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

There's a key command shortcut:

Ctrl A
Ctrl X
Ctrl S

should fix the problem right away

Apr 24, 09 11:37 am  · 
 · 
loac

Hahahaha! Haha! You so crazy. Ha!

Apr 24, 09 11:47 am  · 
 · 
loac

I figured it out, with the help of Steve on the Rhino newsgroup.

"This assumes that all of your surfaces are developable.
First join 'em all together into one big polysurface (or maybe several to
keep things manageable)

Then _UnrollSrf with Explode=No. This will plonk the surfaces on the world
Top Cplane with normals facing up and pieces still joined together, so you
have half a chance of working out what goes where."

Apr 24, 09 11:59 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

I find it strange, that after so many years the plain applications for unfolding and drawing more complex meshes then AutoCAD would support, is still wanted. I mean -- I wrote these for AutoCAD 10.
Rhino shuld be able to unroll meshes created in Rhino, but has trouble with imported entities.

Apr 24, 09 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

nice... been wondering how to do this myself... but it does get confusing if its a complex object. Some of the faces seem to be flattened on top of each other.. I'm going to write a Grasshopper defination that'll flatten out like a UV Map depend on where you cut or the faces you select

May 27, 09 12:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: