Archinect
anchor

What is a Green Collar job?

danger

I've heard the term kicked around a lot and today The Obama-nible signed something promising billions to volunteer organizations including one called Clean Energy Corps...I went to their site and the typical opportunities were data entry and photo-copying...

Anyone know what is meant by "Green Collar Job" and where the "training" is supposedly occurring?

BTW...I did a Google search and found a pic of a guy being lowered from a helicopter onto a turbine in the middle of the ocean...Is that a Green Collar job? If so, sign me up - way too cool!

Apr 22, 09 1:35 am
adjustable

green collar job means someone someday will understand what green is and hire lots of people

meanwhile keep your colored collar of choice

Apr 22, 09 2:52 am  · 
 · 
zoolander

Its the job we'll all be doing while collecting welfare when the government gets its way,

You check my bin and i'll check yours,

Happy happy.

Apr 22, 09 6:28 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

what if you don't wear a collar?

Apr 22, 09 10:11 am  · 
 · 
21Ronin

"green collar jobs" is a term coined to get idiots to understand that there is a lot of opportunities in green business. It also side steps the ignorant response from conservatives that focus on initial costs and ignore long term viability. So, if you can understand the idea of sustainable design and its benefits, you can understand the concept of "green collar jobs".

Apr 22, 09 10:50 am  · 
 · 
21Ronin

Before someone comments on it......I will correct my own grammar.

"There ARE a lot of opportunities in green business."

Apr 22, 09 11:09 am  · 
 · 
tagalong

Green collar jobs = this: (straight from my inbox to the junk inbox)

"Can you help me build green? Have you ever done a LEED building?

These type of questions are being asked more and more. If your answers are on the fence, let us help you answer a definite yes. We provide affordable LEED Certification and green building consulting services so you can improve the marketability of your architecture or construction services, so you can seize green building opportunities.

New construction, commercial interiors, or existing buildings
Flat fees for LEED consulting services
Inhouse training programs available
LEED Silver ratings guaranteed"

This was from some guy at some company with a corny name about being "above green"....

Apr 22, 09 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
outed

snarkily... i'm not sure, but it sounds like there will be an alligator or horse on the chest...

Apr 22, 09 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
freeezerburn

Doesn't green collar jobs mean un-exportable jobs related to sustainability? It doesn't mean "consulting" or anything like that, but instead I think it means a replacement for typical "blue collar" jobs which have either been moved out of the country or so diminished in pay/benefits they are no longer viable for a lot of people. So the people who used to work on the assembly line at GM, etc. would now build solar panels or something. Or installing green roofs. Green collar means sustainable blue collar.

Apr 23, 09 9:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: