Archinect
anchor

moving to a new city

Cranky Pantz

I'm moving to a new city (actually a small town). I'm going to apply for a job at some offices. What is the "right' thing to do:
-Show up at the office
-Call before hand
-Email before hand
-(other)

Another issue is i'm going to be in that town for only 2 days looking for an apartment/job. I might be forgetting a step in the set up.

Apr 14, 09 11:34 am
Living in Gin

This must be a pretty small town if you think you can look for a job and an apartment in two days.

Apr 14, 09 11:38 am  · 
 · 
Cranky Pantz

yes.

Apr 14, 09 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Call...do not show up, because the person you need to talk to may not be there, plus they need time to prepare...

Apr 14, 09 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

Pull a Costanza: pick and office, show up early, and start working.

Apr 14, 09 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Cranky Pantz

It seems emailing would be the most convinient for the person hiring. And then maybe a follow up phone call a few days later. molla...

Apr 14, 09 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Cranky Pantz Sounds like your just looking for a casual encounter..

Apr 14, 09 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
LucasGray

Contact them as many ways as possible in a polite manner. Send an email a couple weeks ahead, followed by mailing them a hard copy of your portfolio followed by a phone call. Call them again a day or so before you are in town or as soon as you get there if they haven't called you back. Show serious consistent interest but make sure you don't annoy them.

Apr 14, 09 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
Gabriel

In my experience, it can't hurt to drop in at a firm in a small town. I got my current position 5 years ago by dropping my resume/portfolio in person and asking if one of the principals might be around to talk with. I was in luck, and both principals interviewed me on the spot. This might only apply to small town/ city firms and probably doesn't apply to starchitects either, but I've never worked at a small firm, where a personal appearance would have been a negative mark, it can only help your chances. "We're not gonna consider him... he came to our office" is not a realistic reaction. Worse case scenario you won't be able to meet with a decision maker, but you will probably at least see the office and get a sense of the feel of things, maybe even gain some contacts from employees.

Best of luck

Apr 15, 09 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

First, network your way into the firms in the town. Use the Yellow Pages to develop a list of the firms. Through the local AIA and others, network to see if any of your contacts know the firms and their staff/prinicpals.

Depending on the results, write targeted letter and send via mail with a one-page of images. Follow-up with phone call slightly less than a week and ask for an interview. Visiting the firm in person if mentioned in your letter would also be appropriate.

The key is first through your research and network.

Dr. Architecture
www.archcareers.org

Apr 15, 09 7:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: