Archinect
anchor

Job situation for a German architect in the US

Hey there!

I'm a German master graduated architect with almost 3 years work experience. Currently I'm  working in Switzerland as a project manager of two family houses. It`s my own project which I worked on from scratch to construction finish. I was also involved with the interior design of other family homes.

I'm planning to apply for some architecture jobs in Southern California (my boyfriend lives there). I know in CA there is a lot competition going on for any job.

Does anybody know how it is for a foreign to get into business?

I appreciate any kind of response!

Thanks,

Claudia

Nov 29, 13 2:20 pm

I think your biggest obstacle will be the building codes - including seismic. I suggest you get a few guidebooks for the latest version of the IBC (International Building Code).

Nov 29, 13 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

Thank you for your advice! I have already looked into it...

Nov 29, 13 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

in sourthrn califrnia you have to $ell yoor $oul to the devil to have any success.  vanity fair video has some decent advice (alhough it not architecture specific, moar starchitect).

also, probably child sacrifice is  best bet.  the beast is relentlessly hungry there.

Nov 29, 13 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Guys, put down the crack pipes. Her main holdup will first be getting permission to work in the US, then finding a job. Claudia, I have a former co worker who is a very talented German arch on the west coast. He works for a large firm with offices in LA. Email me for an introduction, he will have good advice. Punkmotorcycles (at) gmail dot com
Nov 29, 13 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
legopiece

I would say that your chances of finding work are very good. At the moment our economy is somewhat repairing itself. Most job ads are overwhelmingly from either California or New York.  Two states that most of us cannot afford to move to. Like I was saying the economy is repairing somewhat, of course we are not completely out of the hole yet.  Companies are still heavily relying on their current staff that survived this recent recession. Those that are left are overloaded at moment and bit tired.  Companies are starting to realize that they need to staff up. It's as simple as supply and demand. You will find a job because quite frankly you are young, hungry, and Cheap.  Just one last piece of advice I've given some of my buddies from Europe. Don't forget to flaunt your European accent. It's kind of an unspoken thing that there is a huge inferiority complex in the USA when it comes to people from Europe having an accent. Just talk like a straight shooter, and don't joke around you will be running the show in no time. good luck.

Nov 30, 13 2:18 am  · 
 · 

Hey guys...

thanks for your proposal!

I know about all those difficulties. One of the biggest issue is the visa thing, but with no job I can't get a job visa at all. I know the economy is getting better, but still the market is full with architects who are on job search. As an architect you always have to sell your soul, that's part of the business. I'm a motivated and hard worker, I never give up as more difficult it gets as more effort I put in...

Thanks a lot!

Nov 30, 13 4:10 am  · 
 · 

ha ha, economy is not getting better.  stock market maybe up but that's only an illusion by the magicians at the fed.  unemployment is still rising.  wages are still stagnant and the money supply continues to contract.  still far too much debt of any kind of positive investment.  does that sound like an imroving economy too you?

Nov 30, 13 10:43 am  · 
 · 

Hello Claudia.

As an american architect, who practiced in Los Angeles and New York, currently working in Munich, I can tell you that your biggest obstacle will not be building codes, but culture.

As you are probably aware, Germany's design and engineering culture is highly xenophobic. Most firms will staff only german speaking architects and most schools will be staffed entirely by native german faculties. This is not the case in U.S. nor other global, emerging countries.

For instance, chinese ship students out for education and remain global for work. This is the reason why you see higher number of chinese architects in global firms and vice versa; chinese hire european and american architects to build in china.

At my graduating class at Columbia in 2012, we were represented by 14 different countries and 0 percent german.

So if you went to german school and worked only in germany, this will be a problem for you when finding a report with your employer in the U.S.

My suggestion is, move in with your boyfriend and get acclimated with working in U.S. and within an international culture, which you will discover will be highly different then in Germany.

Economy is an issue everywhere.

Visa is an issue for U.S. and in Europe, but lots of chinese and Middle Eastern based firms are giving out visas to American and European architects. Why not try there and learn to be global.

Nov 30, 13 10:54 am  · 
 · 

growing ?ecomonmy ???

Nov 30, 13 10:57 am  · 
 · 

Let me also amend a part of my statement above

So if you went to german school and worked only in germany...

You said you were working in Switzerland. Is this the Italian speaking or german speaking part?

The issue remains the same, if you want to go international, you have to be international.

Nov 30, 13 10:58 am  · 
 · 

If i have one more suggestion: try re-connecting with your latin america work experience. There number of south american architects, working in U.S.

Good luck.

Nov 30, 13 11:25 am  · 
 · 

Hey Dimitri

I'm working in Switzerland, but in the German speaking part. I have lived in South America (Uruguay) and did my internship there. I also have learned a lot about Brazilian architecture. I also have lived in France but that was before I was getting into architecture. 

You are right Germans usually don't go out of their country for studying, because it's free here and the education is good. After graduating I had two offers for China, but took the solid way and went to Swiss. Swiss architecture was high recommanded at my university for it's quality and planeness, plus you are very good paid.

I understand that working in the US is whole nother story and working in an international team too.

Thanks for your comments.

Nov 30, 13 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

I don't specifically have any tips for a German architect in USA, but I just want to provide a balance to Dimitri's comments.

As a Canadian who's been studying and working the last 4+ years in Germany, I find his comments about German xenophobia completely off the mark. I found the architectural 'scene' (both in academia and in practice) in both Stuttgart and Berlin to be far more international than anything I was used to in North America. At school, many of my colleauges were either themselves foreigners, or had extensive experience abroad ( certainly more than could be said of the average american-born US student), having done either an erasmus semester or an internship in another country.

At work (so far 4 different firms), the office was also always very international. All of my bosses (themselves German) had studied abroad, my colleauges were a mix of native Germans and various european and asian expats, and we were engaged in projects around the world.

Perhaps my experiences aren't the norm, but then I'd argue that Dimitri's aren't either. Rather, I can imagine the reality lies somewhere in the middle.

Dec 1, 13 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks Gray!

My classmates weren`t all German either and I was going to the smallest Architecture University in Germany, we had people from China, Bulgaria, Finland, Moldavia, Turkey, America, Brazil and Ukraine. And as you already said a lot of Germans did an Erasmus exchange to other countries. I think architecture, art and design are always international… just look back at all the famous architects and the Bauhaus (it has been a huge international scene). 

You know as a German I`m not gonna defend my culture… I was taught so… but people who don`t know me, don`t know where I have been already in the world. I have seen more countries and places then other people will ever see in their life.

Thanks for your honest comment!

Dec 2, 13 7:28 am  · 
 · 
3tk

My advice is be open about the visa process - larger firms will have the knowledge and capacity (legally and financially) to help you get a visa, smaller firms won't.  However if you have a plan to get a visa on your own (with a sponsoring employer) then a smaller firm will have an easier time considering you for employment (a visa with attorney fees runs around $5k I think, though CA may have cheaper lawyers?).  The other barrier may be that an employer would be reluctant to sponsor you of fear you may jump to another firm with an unrestricted visa, but your recommendation from your previous employers may cover loyalty issues.  

I've often been asked about visa issues (I have a US passport, but apparently still come across as a foreigner), and HR always seems to be braced for a 6 month process (though mostly if they want to hire, they're willing).

Funny how Germans have such an issue about your culture (I've lived there 2 years Bayreuth and Tuebingen) - I did get to experience why during my time at a Gymnasium there though.

Good luck!

Dec 2, 13 10:47 am  · 
 · 

Well, thanks for your statement. Like you sad lager firms have more experience with the visa stuff. I just know I can`t apply for a work visa as a private person, I need to have a job position so the company can apply for my visa. That what makes it so difficult. Most offices don`t know about it. I would even bear the cost for a visa as long I`ll get one.

Thanks again!

Dec 4, 13 12:25 pm  · 
 · 

"Lager" firms.  Ha ha, typical drunk grman.  Oktorfest is over, get back to work!

Dec 4, 13 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

Lol at least I can drink and work!

Dec 4, 13 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: