Archinect
anchor

Office Work: What / What not to claim

thompson's gazelle

Hello, I'm a recent graduate holding a B.arch and a post-professional degree from the US, working at a corporate-ish office in Asia. I'm planning to stay (actually I have to) for another 2.5 yrs and seek my way back to the states to jump into the process of getting licensed.

The question is that It's been about half a year since I've been working, and I have no idea what to put in my portfolio later. As a fresh-out-of school first year employee, I would say I'm usually involved in rather small tasks--I'm drawing diagrams, making presentation, making sketches or study models that won't make its way to the final design, etc.

I've finished three projects already, but I'd say my contribution to the finished products were minimal. Being a large office, even renderings and models are made somewhere else. What is the general rule of thumb when you're putting office work into your personal portfolio? I would be quite helpful to hear your experiences.  

Nov 27, 13 7:20 pm
SpatialSojourner

I personally in my portfolio for grad school have only put in things that physically were created by me.  I worked in a small firm where I was responsible for a majority of what went into a project though.  I feel strange about putting something in my portfolio that my hands haven't helped mold.

In school, there was a team of peers who "worked" on a successful competition for one of my teachers and they all put it in their portfolio even if they just hung out in the same room for 5 minutes and the professor seemed fine with it (I think he really wanted everyone to be as successful as possible).  It's YMMV, maybe ask a boss?  

I'm a giver type of person so I'd be fine with someone putting "my" diagrams/renders for a team project in their portfolio (some have).  It's like a date, I enjoy paying and hate it if the girl insists on going halves on the bill.  

Nov 27, 13 9:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: