Archinect
anchor

Urban Agriculture - help finding precedents

cooldude1988

I have this project for a class on urban agriculture...and we have to design an architectural intervention that retrofits old buildings or integrates urban agriculture into the city.

Does anyone know any good books or precedents i should look at? its a bit difficult to find at my school library.

also, does anyone know of any Modernism Building retrofit projects? fixing up LeCorbs garden city flaws....cause it may be of great help...thanks

Apr 6, 09 7:48 pm
skeez

not retrofitted buildings, but MVRDV's NL Pavilion (built) and Pig City (unbuilt study) are interesting examples for this type of project.

Apr 6, 09 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

do a search for 'vertical farms', 'hydroponics', 'controlled environment agriculture', and shrinking cities'

IIT is running a vertical farm studio this semester.

Apr 6, 09 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i'm not a huge fan of mithun, but this project was pretty interesting...

Apr 6, 09 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

where do the roots of those trees go? between the floor joists?

Apr 6, 09 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

hard to say, vado... hard to say.

Apr 6, 09 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

check out pruned.blogspot.com there's some inspiring examples in the archives.

Apr 7, 09 2:16 am  · 
 · 
TedTedTed

something from bldgblog...(http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2007/11/farmadelphia.html)

also, look at the book "Continuous Productive Urban Landscapes"...that is a very intensive book (http://www.energybulletin.net/node/17603)

as for IIT, i am guessing that Eric Ellingsen is teaching that studio. i had him as a professor a few years ago for studio as well as another class, and he had a professor from Columbia (new york, not chicago) come in and talk to us about vertical farming since he specializes in it. i cannot remember the columbia professor's name, but you might want to try to look for him as well...he is a great guy, very informative and helpful.

also, you might want to check out Patric LeBlanc's work (i think that is his name)...he is basically the innovator of (at least in contemporary terms) of vertical landscaping on buildings. he did herzog and de meuron's caixa forum vertical landscaping.

good luck!

Apr 7, 09 10:19 am  · 
 · 
treekiller
The Vertical Farm: The sky-scraper as vehicle for a sustainable urban agriculture

CTBUH 8th World Congress, Dubai. March 3 - 5, 2008. pp.311 - 318
Despommier, Dickson and Ellingsen, Eric

Dr. Despommier pioneered the concept of vertical farms and is a public health professor...

Apr 7, 09 10:39 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

take a look at Kyong Park's "Urban Ecology."

Apr 7, 09 11:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: