Archinect
anchor

transit design poetry

treekiller

Are there any genius transit engineers and planners out their who make poetry out of train platforms and intermodal facilities?

I'm not talking about the heavy hand of engineers like HNTB or the hideousness of Seacaucus Junction on NJTransit, but folks that can make a great urban experience out of catching a train or transferring between buses.

thanks!

Mar 30, 09 5:16 pm
liberty bell

I'm sure other people have contemporary firms, but for eye candy of amazing transit experiences check out photos of the Moscow subway system. I know they are legendary and thus likely cliche, but having ridden the Moscow subway as well as transit in lots of other cities I can say that there really is something different about cathcing a train in what's essentially a palace.

Mar 30, 09 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

You rang?

Harry Weese's office designed most of the Washington Metro back in the day.

Unfortunately, Weese himself has passed away, and I don't think his firm exists anymore.

In the NYC area, Dattner Architects has a solid portfolio of transit-related work.

Mar 30, 09 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

mr shuell?

designed by these guys...
www.pbworld.com
www.ftlstudio.com

Mar 30, 09 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

these are great and the sort of stuff I am looking for (along with info about engineers behind the projects). keep 'em coming!

Mar 30, 09 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I think Parsons Brinkerhoff is pretty much the engineering muscle behind a lot of US transit projects, at least the larger-scale stuff.

Mar 30, 09 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

LB, your comment and the linked images brought to mind Jules Verne. . .

Didn't Calatrava's early work include one or more "transporting" examples ?

Mar 31, 09 12:27 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

zaha has something in austria i think

Mar 31, 09 12:41 am  · 
 · 
randomized

OMA in The Hague:

Mar 31, 09 4:10 am  · 
 · 
montu

... reference the work done for the Millennium station on the London Underground.

Mar 31, 09 7:20 am  · 
 · 
treekiller
Light rail vendors

&

Transit by Mode projects list

Mar 31, 09 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

I've never visited, but I have always heard/seen good things with the moscow transit system.

Here are a couple shots I just dug up.

Also apparently the new proposed system will be interesting:

Mar 31, 09 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
raj

i am showing how long i have been on this website...i remembered this link.

2006 discussion

my favorite link it

Mar 31, 09 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

wow, how did i not post anything in that '06 discussion?!?

Mar 31, 09 10:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: