Archinect
anchor

Graffiti in a portfolio - how would grad schools & firms react?

l3wis

Hi, I've been getting really into Banksy [www.banksy.co.uk] graffiti, and subsequently have been inspired to make a few stencils and pieces of my own, and throw them up in a few cool spots around my city.

If these pieces were done artfully and with creativity, do you think they would be appropriate for my portfolio?

Thinking about it from one side, it seems like a bad idea since it would seem sort of subversive and anti-establishment/institutional. Would a grad school committee or a firm I'm applying to take offense? I know there are alot of people here on archinect with direct experience in hiring.

On the other hand, wouldn't this be considered sort of rogue'ishly charming and creative?

Mar 30, 09 11:30 am
FrankLloydMike

depends.. are you applying for a job at Urban Outfitters?

Mar 30, 09 11:59 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

that was snarky, but honestly I doubt it would help you at all. Also, I meant to comment on your portfolio awhile ago, and thought I had, but anyway, I thought it was nicely done. I think if you're happy with your stencils, you could show them in an area like "other media" or something like that, not sure what exactly, but I'd keep the examples to ones on canvas or other strictly legal surfaces just to avoid any issues an employer/school might have.

Mar 30, 09 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

ha ha, no >_<

yea I think you may have critiqued it - thank you! but I'd like to revamp it for next time I go for an internship after the summer. I'll probably post it again in a month or so, hopefully you'll be able to take a look once again!

yea maybe there are some designated grafitti zones where I live

Mar 30, 09 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Not all graffiti is illegal, there are people who get paid to do murals for certain buildings. If it's a paid comission I wouldn't think it be a problem, but don't take my word on it.

I have see quite a few art stores, skate shops, etc covered in some pretty cool work

Mar 30, 09 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

yea, i just did a quick search online and I didn't see any designated graffiti walls or whatnot. maybe I should just look for places already covered in artistic stuff and go for it

Mar 30, 09 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
gonad

there are/where places in nyc where anyone could graffiti (ie phun factory aka 5 pointz)

Mar 30, 09 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I think the point, at least from the perspective of an employer or admissions officer, of including graffiti would be to show the design (or possibly, though much riskier, political) quality of the work, so I don't think the context is not as important as the stencil design itself. Unless the stencil is really specific to being on a certain brick wall or something, I'd say put them on a canvas, or your own brick wall (and indicate it as such) and include it that way so that it comes across as design work, not just a hobby at best or social deviancy at worst, depending on the perspective of the viewer.

Mar 30, 09 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Yes, you put it quite eloquently! I'll photograph it from a canvas.

Mar 30, 09 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
archiwhat

hihi where's the line between design work and social deviancy? I have some controversial work as well, thinking of including it in my portfolio. Not in the work-aimed though but in the academic one. They’ll like it. It's soo critical.

Mar 30, 09 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin

I think it depends (spoken like a true centrist). If you are appying to SCIarc, then I think it works. But, if you are applying to the University of Notre Dame or something like that, I wouldn't.

I see no reason to include this in your professional portfolio. It doesn't help to show your abilities in architecture. I included some graffiti-like graphics in my portfolio in grad school (and I actually won a portfolio award w/ it in there) but I wouldn't include it in your portfolio for work.

Know your audience.....

Mar 30, 09 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Ronin's advice is sage here.

It's impossible to know the bent of those who will review your portfolio AND have a say in your hiring or admission. But it is true that SOME may have a problem with the perception (whether true or not) that you deface others' property, and are proud of it.

Mar 30, 09 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
rockandhill

Here's an interesting twist on graffiti and an interesting twist on the use of public spaces that I do believe is actually more illegal than graffiti:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p0PvWBy9mk

Mar 30, 09 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
rockandhill

also, the next time someone does a rendering with dumb fake people... could they put in a troupe of improv danse electro kids in a corner?

Mar 30, 09 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
jsoc

I say go for it. You can play it safe and put it on canvas or on a surface you 'own'... or you could show it in the context you intended, on site and as an action or process and not just an end result. You'd be taking a risk, but you would also be showing yourself and your interests in an interesting way.

I agree with most of what was said above. You have to know your audience and what they can handle. Some people will certainly judge the work before opening their minds to what you might be trying to express. But as someone who interviews and hires people, I'd be open to your message, and would rather see it how YOU want to present it, rather than how you think I want to see it, if that makes any sense.

Of course in these dark days everyone is leaning towards conservative, conformist strategies of job/school hunting, so maybe self-expression is not the most important thing anymore...

Mar 30, 09 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I disagree with this: You'd be taking a risk, but you would also be showing yourself and your interests in an interesting way. Your portfolio is intended to show your abilities as a designer, not showing your interests really. Your stencil design can be shown as an element of your larger design sensibilities (and I think would in some ways complement the image style, etc of your portfolio). Showing you producing graffiti as a means of expressing yourself or your interests is a lot like me including political rants in my portfolio, or someone who enjoys cooking showing images of their latest banana bread in theirs.

Mar 31, 09 11:16 am  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

You're obviously getting different suggestions here. Some are more conservative than others (case in point, FLM). I think the point of the more encouraging posts are that if you think the graffiti enhances your portfolio and is submitted to universities that are open to exploring art/architecture in different/more controversial media, then you should go ahead and incorporate it. Graffiti is no doubt an integral part of urbanism and the built environment, and some would argue that it is perfectly relevant to architectural discourse. I'd argue that it can enhance your portfolio if it's presented thoughtfully.

Just a sidenote: When I was in grad school I remember seeing a final crit of a semester-long project that was inspired by graffiti. The project was compelling and was very well received by professors and students alike.

Mar 31, 09 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
xvtstarx

My portfolio consisted of nothing but graffiti and I got in... Just don't send in a bunch of copy-cat crap.

People, stop being so uptight and conservative...

go break stuff

Apr 1, 09 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Dude, seriously? Could I see your portfolio?

Apr 1, 09 9:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: