Archinect
anchor

Why is contemporary architecture important in understanding culture?

DamianZ

With all these structures that make up our environement, it is inevitable to think about how they influence or represent modern culutre. Why is contemporary architecture important to undersatanding modern/contemporary history and culture?

Nov 19, 13 11:27 am
Non Sequitur

Perhaps this is more tangential than relevant but I recently heard Martha Schwartz give a lecture where she showcased a boardwalk design for some beach in the middle-east, most likely it was Dubai. What made me sick was the extend her office went to accommodate the backwards racism/sexist culture. Her project specifically had a different alcove/terrace/section for the rich, the regular men ( a spot for each nationality it seemed), the workers, and the women/children (obviously last on the list).

I think someone of that status should have made an example and either removed the segregation or simply left the project for someone else; I see it as a black mark in an otherwise great portfolio. Having this cultural phenomenon respected in a large architectural project only hurts cultural progress.

Nov 19, 13 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: