Archinect
anchor

Chinese firm or small USA startup?

rednotdead

I just graduated this year and torn between two choices. On one hand I'm offered a permanent position in a medium size (by Chinese standards) schematic design firm with a number of US trained architects and academic connections.

On the other is my current assistant job which I've been at for a few months now: I work as the only employee of a US startup that is still mostly doing boring renovations and remodels, and the odd soulless tenant improvement.

If I go to China and ditch my current job, I lose the chance to get real experience with building in the USA - permitting, construction, etc at all iterations of the design process. But if I stay on, I'm worried that I miss out an opportunity to really do some creative work, learn Chinese, and generally have a nicer portfolio coming out.

I'm worried about getting stuck nowhere doing boring shit, but also going to China only to return to the USA later on without crucial experience relevant the building environment here.

Also, if I left my current position I'd sort of be screwing over my firm, as I'd be a huge lost investment for them at a time when their firm is just starting... I kind of don't want to be an ass like that.

What do you guys think?

Nov 17, 13 5:58 pm
DeTwan

It does sound like a hard decision, but you made no mention of compensation.

Almost all the ppl I know in architecture that followed promises of awesome design work, over an actual good steady paying job, are either out of the industry or struggling significantly.

Follow the money... especially in this industry.

Life is going to be stressful either way, I'd rather have money during those stressful time than not.

Nov 17, 13 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i have suspicions that the chinese economy is, in some ways, on an unsustainable path that could lead you to heartache.  if you went the china route, would there be a reasonable path for you to go back to america if that became a more prudent option?

Nov 17, 13 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I am currently working on several projects in China, and the trajectory of growth will continue for at least 8-10 years. By that time, their economy will start slowing down, and more importantly, they will have a critical mass of talent so that they would not really need expats as much as they do now.

If I were you, Id take up the job in China, get some interesting work in your portfolio. You might lose some years if and when you get back, but I would not sweat it now based on your situation. Oh, and living in large chinese Cities is not super cheap either, so be careful with the money situation....

Nov 17, 13 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

Think global, act local.

What the hell is a schematic design firm?

Nov 17, 13 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
rednotdead

@Miles

I just meant to say that the firm does only schematic work - construction documents, etc are handled by outside parties. Obviously this is the problem: I would get no experience in that area, which I'm already weak in.

Thanks for the input everyone. To clarify, I don't really really make a legal wage at the moment... so there's really no difference. For me it's not about the money at the moment.

Nov 17, 13 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Go to China. After applying to jobs in the US for 6 months prior to graduation and getting no where I saw an opening in Beijing and decided to apply. Turns out it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I loved my time working/living in Beijing and that experience is a big part of why I have my current position. 

The "party" in China will go on for at least another 20 years, longer if they continue on their current path of opening up. And speaking Mandarin will open up quite a few doors after you return. 

Oh and if you go there and the firm sucks it's much easier to get hired elsewhere when you're already in country. It's not uncommon at all to jump to a better firm after a few months of local networking. 

Nov 17, 13 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

You are quite green behind the ears.

Trust me, if you plan on doing architecture the rest of our life, making money is a very important aspect, probably the most important.

And if you don't have real world CDing knowledge of building technologies, you shouldn't be working at a 'schematic Design' firm either. Are you going to design some crazy sculptural form in Rhino and then say build it 'other firm'?

How to you know if you don't?

Go to China and get down and dirty in it, trust me you will not regret it.

In the US there is really NO GOOD JOBS LEFT anyways!

Nov 17, 13 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
crimsondream
Try to get licensed first and then go to China. If China is not happening by the time you are licensed, there will be other places to go (india, australia, brazil, etc)
Nov 18, 13 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: