Archinect
anchor

Street naming logic

I remember learning about the numbering logic of the US Interstate Highway System when I was in grade school, it completely blew my mind. It was one of the first times I had a glimpse into the built environment as something designed and organized with an overarching hierarchy or logic. 

I quickly realized that the county roads in rural Jefferson County, Idaho where I lived, were also organized and numbered logically. This made it very easy for me to figure out if I wanted to ride my bike from my address to a friend's address, it was very simple to figure out how many miles it would be just based on understanding the gridded road network and it's numbering system. 

As I've lived in other areas and cities it has been a little bit of a hobby of mine finding and understanding the logic behind street naming. Some cities are easy, Manhattan for example, and its numbered east-west streets and north-south avenues. While others might not be so apparent. I've heard Boston's naming of some streets has something to do with where the street takes you. The same street might have different names depending on where you are along its route, but I'm not familiar enough to know. 

So, what is the street naming logic where you live?

I don't know if there is much logic to it, but in downtown Seattle, the streets running perpendicular to the waterfront come in alphabetical pairs: Jefferson & James, Cherry & Columbia, Marion & Madison, Spring & Seneca, University & Union, Pike & Pine. Regardless, of how logical it is, you know there was a conscious decision made to do it. At any rate, it does help in navigating and way finding. Especially when you add a mnemonic to help remember the order; Jesus Christ Made Seattle Under Protest.

Image source

Nov 16, 13 1:47 pm
gruen
And the rest of Seattle is numbered in a very logical way.

Many cities seem rather random. Many streets are named by the owner of the plat when they subdivided it, leading occasionally to hilarious results such as Ann Arbor's parallel (and close to one another) numbered streets with essentially the same names (3rd St and 3rd Ave).
Nov 16, 13 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Offhand, other than typical numbering, I can only think of this in Los Angeles: running east-west between downtown and the west side are (now) major boulevards named for Washington, Adams, and Jefferson.  Out near the coast is Lincoln Boulevard running (nominally) north-south; part of it was originally named Roosevelt.

So, we've got some of our major presidents present and accounted for.

Nov 16, 13 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
spqr

You forgot South Street, which used to be Cedar!

Nov 16, 13 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
backbay

i don't think boston has any kind of organization to street naming.  the names mades sense when it was a little peninsula town (pre-'lets-land-fill-the-whole-damn-river'), and usually had something to do with the surroundings or what was on it (tremont, for example, i think referenced the three hills that were eventually pushed into the water).  but those references are far too removed now!  if there is some logic to it or parts of it though i'd be interested in learning it.  here's an early boston map.  have fun!  http://www.doak.ws/1722MapOfBostonJohnBonner.jpg

Nov 17, 13 11:55 pm  · 
 · 

Indianapolis decided to name all of its downtown streets after states.  Typical of Hoosiers, it's a dumb idea based in rather bovine patriotism.  It's actually harder to remember if the street I want is Alabama or Delaware or Illinois or any other bland state than to remember distinctive names like, well, people's names, or landmarks.

Adding to the confusion, Hooisers aren't very creative...so we tend to use the same words more than once. So we have Washington Street AND Boulevard, Meridian Street AND Court AND Drive AND Place etc.

I always appreciated that Phoenix splits itself neatly down the center.  From north-south-going Central Avenue to the west all the numbered streets are called Avenue, going east from Central they are all Street.  So you easily know how far from the center your destination is, and on what side of town.

Brian I too recall a thrill at learning that the Interstate numbering system had an overarching logic.  I love when things fall neatly into a system (which is why I can dream over the USG handbook all afternoon...everything fits.....)

Nov 18, 13 10:30 am  · 
 · 
merarch

My city, Washington, DC, has a pretty well known quadrant system radiating from the Capitol Building.   I could spend a lot of time explaining it, but this blog post does it better:

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/3151/washingtons-systemic-streets/

Nov 18, 13 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

All this mention of boston but nobody points out that the streets of the back bay area are named in alhpabetical order?  Arlington, Berkelye, Clarendon, etc.

Nov 18, 13 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

Ah yes, Portland also has an alphabetical section" Ankeny, Burnside, Couch, Davis..it's charming and so easy to navigate.

Nov 18, 13 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
backbay

@HandsumCa$hMoneyYo

WHAT!?!

Nov 18, 13 9:09 pm  · 
 · 

Arlington, Berkeley, Clarendon, Dartmouth, Exeter, Fairfield, Gloucester, Hereford and then it skips I, J, K and L to Mass Avenue

It's pretty much the only logical part of Boston.

Nov 19, 13 10:23 am  · 
 · 

Oh, and how could i foget this.  I'm not sure the naming convention but the streets fo  central Wash DC are laid out according to occult symbology of secret societies.

That is a goatshead sitting on the whiet house and the square & compass residing over the capital.  More creepy info on it available here.

Nov 19, 13 10:30 am  · 
 · 

This almost makes we want to take Boston on as a challenge. Maybe someday. In the meantime, I came across Bostonography with plenty of maps to keep me interested until then.

I'm especially intrigued at the whole, "you can't get there from here," phenomenon, or even "you can't get here from there," presented by Bostonography author Andy Woodruff.

Nov 23, 13 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

My Uncle who was the Town Engineer named streets after all of his kids.  It is a funny neighborhood to drive around in.

Nov 23, 13 2:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: