Archinect
anchor

published photos - resume filler or valid accomplishment?

so, i've recently had a few photos published, and will likely have a few more in the next few months.

with the economy as it is now, i'm considering putting a publications section on my resume/cv and including the photography... it's all legit but i still feel like it's padding and not incredibly relevant. it was all architectural photography but i'm by no means a professional, so i wonder what y'all think about it...

is it a transparent ploy to beef up my (already decent) resume? or is a valid accomplishment that i should flaunt?

Mar 13, 09 2:16 pm

Congrats on getting your shots published! When putting together your resume/portfolio, consider that those reviewing your portfolio are looking for skills that they can use. I would recommend adding these accomplishments to your resume only if you are willing to be a photographer for your next employer. If you want to keep photography your hobby, or for personal use only, it may hold back your architectural development by promoting that work in your resume. That being said, I don't think it would hurt at all to list photography as your hobby, noting that you've had your photos published.

Mar 13, 09 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

thanks, and good point. could be better as a hobbies/interests line.

Mar 13, 09 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I'd add it, shows creative talent and also shows initiative in getting them published. I like that, makes you look like a go getter, which so many are not (as I learn more and more, most people are just lazy).

Mar 13, 09 4:06 pm  · 
 · 

i think it is valid for a design resume. photography is similar to taking on a design problem and shows consideration for lighting, perspective, framing, and spatial perception - all skills that are directly translated to architectural work, esp presentation work. having your photos published demonstrates your sensibility for these things, which are good enough to be published, setting you apart.

also, i would only include if it's a significant publication. some event photos that you took that was included in the school newspaper or website to me might be considered padding.

Mar 16, 09 12:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: