Archinect
anchor

Best places to eat in cities you've visited

Atlanta - best bbq ribs Fat Matts, I can't remember where it's located
Chicago - Chinese food, I don't remember the restaurant's name, but its the last one on the left side in new chinatown square. Try the dry chilli chicken.
San Francisco - Old Clam House, get a bowl of the chapino, or however you spell it.
NYC - crepe stand across the street from the prada store in soho
Bradenton, Florida - Lee's Crab Shack - Best clam chowder
Weimar, Germany - Doner Kabab off theatreplatz

I'd be interested to see what other travelers have to offer. Thanks, and look forward to it. At least this gets our minds off this awful downtown.

Mar 8, 09 4:27 am
BOTS

easy one for the urban view. Was here for Boxing Day. It's good to sneak in the architecture when dining with the wife.

aqua

Mar 8, 09 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

in boulder, co i recommend these two places:

frasca
http://www.frascafoodandwine.com/

the taj restaurant for indian

Mar 8, 09 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

afghan kabab, islamabad, pakistan,, amazing! (dont ask how i ended up there)

Mar 8, 09 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

I'll throw another one in with Doyles fish restaurant Watsons Bay, Sydney. Excellent fish and chips. View OK

doyles

Mar 8, 09 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
abc91686

Florence, Italy

La Giostra

Hong Kong

Any of the small booths in the Stanley Market
or The Peak Restaurant

Macau

All you can eat buffet at the Grand Lisboa Hotel

Mar 8, 09 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

As an Atlanta resident for most of my life, from what I understand Fat Matts is actually overrated, although i have yet to eat there myself (its on my to-do list). Apparently Williams Bros in Marietta is far superior and while their sauce isn't spectacular the ribs are absolutely amazing.

Mar 8, 09 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Hmm... Cool topic. Here's my list:

Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky:
Skyline Chili, LaRosa's Pizza, Graeters Ice Cream, and Frisch's Big Boy. All the local classics.

Chicago:
Miller's Pub on Wabash, Greektown Gyros and Fantano's deli near UIC, Mangino's in the Loop. There's also a pretty good Hawaiian barbeque place on Clark Street in Lincoln Park. Zoom Kitchen was one of my favorite brunch places, but they no longer exist (RIP). Gino's East and Giordano's were my favorite pizza places. Deep-dish and thin-crust are both fine by me.

Philly area:
Jim's Steaks on South Street, Fiesta Pizza in East Falls, and King of Pizza in Cherry Hill. The latter has the best sausage pizza I've ever had, anywhere.

NYC:
Paul's Burger Joint on Second Avenue, Big Nick's Burger Joint on the UWS, Sun Sai Kai (sp?) on Canal Street in Chinatown, Peter's on Bedford Avenue in Billyburg, and the Chip Shop on Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn Heights. I've had some decent pizza in NYC, but I still think Philly and Chicago have better pizza in general.

Eugene, Oregon:
There's a local chain of Mexican restaurants called Burrito Boy, which I fell in love with while living there.

Boston:
There used to be a great brunch place in Brookline, but on my last visit I was saddened to discover they had closed. I can't remember the exact name -- B&H, or something like that.

London:
I had something called an Aberdeen Angus Pie at a John Wetherspoon pub near Victoria Station, and it was so good I almost creamed my pants.

Mar 8, 09 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

the doener kebab is king.

i need to open a kebab imbiss across the street from my office. i would never have to leave.

actually, if one opened downtown here in seattle, i imagine it would make bank. great food, cheap, low overhead.

they'd just have to make it correctly and not sell it for $10.00 like they do @ turkish delight by pike place market. yech.

Mar 8, 09 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
matthewjboakland

Oakland, CA
- Tamarindo for classy tapas and sangria without pretentiousness
- Los Cantaros for serious Mexican & beer
- Binh Minh Quan for awesome & inexpensive Vietnamese food & charm

Mar 8, 09 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

la. Tommy burger, mustache cafe
montray bay ca. the chart house
Madason wi. an agfgan resteraunt on medona.
houston. Smith and Wolinskies (sp)
Chicago. Chez paul
San Diego. Rubio's fish Tacos., olt towm mexican café.
huatuco mexio. flaming bananas
Disney World. / epcot the moroccian resteraunt
Mchenry illinois. firewood grille

Mar 8, 09 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
bravo_on_trace

Cincinnati-
Bangkok Bistro in Hyde Park, Chicago Gyros on Clifton and McMillan. Don't eat the chili.

San Francisco-
Fritz's in the Mission District. Good Belgian beer on tap.

Amsterdam-
The Pancake Bakery, in the westerkerk

Oklahoma- Jake's Rib in Chickasha... if you are ever in the area.

Mar 9, 09 1:12 am  · 
 · 

fish & bread
eminonu district, istanbul
delicious, fresh, fast, affordable. right from the boat!

Mar 9, 09 1:43 am  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

Amsterdam - Mai Thai, best Pad Thai ever.

Duesseldorf, Germany - pizza place in the Mediahafen, their pizza salami is the best pizza i have ever had (pizzas in Italy included). their pastas weren't bad either

Memphis, TN - Corky's Barbeque. Memphis bbq means anything pork. We left Memphis 10 years ago, but my dad to this day still gets Corky's bbq sauce shipped to him in bulk

Houston, TX - House of Pies, great place to go for dessert, and they're open 24 hours. they also serve meals, but who goes to a House of Pies for dinner

Los Angeles, CA - Jack and Jill's - there are a few of these in LA, not sure if the chain is elsewhere, but a good place to get a sandwich. Fresh hand sliced cheese was delicious as were the sweet potato fries.

There was also a great Indian place I ate at in LA, name slips me at the moment.

nice topic, I'll post if I think of any others

Mar 9, 09 3:20 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

Berlin: Vitabar, sort of out-of-the-way from anywhere too interesting, this is an incredibly little vegetarian restaurant in Wilmersdorf. It's insanely small, with seating for maybe eight and functions mostly as a lunch spot. The food is amazing, and always insanely fresh--soups are made from scratch per order, for instance.

Mar 9, 09 9:24 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Vienna, Austria - Schnitzelwirt Schmidt. Best schnitzel I've ever had. Huge portions, more than even the healthiest appetite can handle. Contemplated a trip to Austria just for a refill.

Mar 9, 09 9:24 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

haha, huanmic, youre talking about lao sze chuan... the chinese place with the amazing dry chili chicken...
agreed... its my favorite chinese place in the city as well...

Mar 9, 09 9:34 am  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

"I've had some decent pizza in NYC, but I still think Philly and Chicago have better pizza in general."

Blasphemy!

Mar 9, 09 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm not much of a food person (i'd rather just drink) but trattoria moderna in rome, italy has left me dreaming about their pasta ever since i ate there five years ago....mmmmmm

Mar 9, 09 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, that's exactly right letdown. Joy Yee's couldn't hold a candle to this place. Good chinese food, more authentic, and if you are feeling yuppie enough, then grab a fruit smoothie.

Mar 9, 09 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

Sally's or Pepe's Pizza New Hvaen
Pinocchio's Pizza Cambridge MA

Mar 10, 09 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Some of my personal favorites in Washington DC:

Amsterdam Fellafel
Jumbo Slice
Chinatown Express
Matchbox
The Majestic (old town)

Mar 10, 09 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

BARCELONA: King Donner (Rambla del raval) among many other great restaurants

Mar 10, 09 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Avenue Bistro in Comox - Vancouver Island is tasty.

http://avenuebistro.ca/

Atlas cafe in Courtenay was also good.

Pok Pok in Portland...super yummy curry soup

http://pokpokpdx.com/

Mar 10, 09 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

If you are in the Texas Hill Country be sure and make it out to Llano and Coopers BBQ...best in the world.

http://www.coopersbbq.com/

Mar 10, 09 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

Meatballs (Ba-wan) and rice vermicelli (Bihoon) at the Hsinchu market next to the old temple close to in Taiwan. I think the old temple is call City God Temple.

Mar 10, 09 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

if you're ever in Boston with a car, drive out to Essex, Mass for the best fried seafood you'll ever have. Go to Essex Seafood for the fried haddock, JT Farnham's for the fried clams (which were reportedly invented in Essex), and Woodman's for the atmosphere, fried sole, and chowdah.

Mar 10, 09 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

and if you're in New Orleans, forget Emeril's or Commander's Palace or Bubba Gump's shrimp.

Check out Franky and Johnny's for crawfish (when in season) and seafood, Crabby Jack's for the overstuffed po-boys, Camellia Grill for the omelettes and milk shakes, Elizabeth's for the greasy spoon brunch and their bloody mary, Slim Goodies for the home cooking New Orleans diner vibe, and Jaquimos for the higher end southern food.

Mar 10, 09 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

Let me also give a buuur;lskdadkjh to Franks Catering in Bozeman, Montana. Greatest sandwiches ever. Try the Freebird.

http://www.frankscatering.com/

Mar 10, 09 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

something for lunch in the Dam, a pancake for eveyone...

Upstairs Pannenkoekenhuis
Grimburgwal 2
Amsterdam

Mar 10, 09 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

Montreal:

-St. Viteur and Fairmont for bagels
-Lester's and Schwart's deli for smoked meat

Yeah, they're the cliches.... But there's a reason for it!
I'll try to think of some of the unknowns in the meantime.....

Mar 11, 09 1:15 am  · 
 · 
marlowe

Nice:

La Marenda. No phone so you'll need to walk to the place to make reservations.

Worldwide, this is my favorite restaurant.

Mar 11, 09 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
marlowe
Mar 11, 09 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

In Montserrat try out Ziggys, make sure and tell John & Marcia hello for me

On a Friday in Kingston, Jamaica make sure to stop in for some seafood chowder at Norma's on the verandah of Devon House, see their review at Frommers

If you are on the other end of the island try out Houseboat for dinner. Accessed via a human powered water taxi, the gentle sway of the waters are sure to leave you in a relaxed mood. The menu selection is delectable and features open air seating as well. All aboard!

In Cleveland make sure and check out Lola's the squab is like buttah and the decour is delightfully trendy without trying to be. Located off the pedestrian alley on 4th Street downtown.

Enjoy a meal overlooking the calm waters of Barbados coast at the aptly titled Cliff restaurant. Your experience will be like no other and best shared with someone special. Check out the extensive, if not exhaustive winelist failing that ask your dedicated standing waiter for a recommendation.

Mar 11, 09 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
n_

MADianito - King Doner is fucking amazing.

Mar 11, 09 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

litchfield connecticut

Da Capo....if you love New York Style Pizza...

West Street Grill......if you have deep pockets...

Mar 11, 09 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

a sunday dinner down the road here

Mar 11, 09 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

This is the place I would suggest to anyone in the Berkshire hills for
Chocolate: [im]http://www.roadfood.com/photos/mini_1288.jpg[/img]
It is also an architectural treat. Belgium Choclate at its best!Belgique Pâtisserie & Chocolatier - Kent, CT

Mar 11, 09 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude
Mar 11, 09 9:19 pm  · 
 · 

Bradenton Beach, Florida - Island Creperie
Chicago, IL corner of montrose avenue and north troy street - the best columbia rotisserie you will ever have in your life, you can smell it when you get close.

Mar 20, 09 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Chicago

- N9ne Steakhouse - try the rock shrimp appetizer and don't miss a chance to visit the ghost bar upstairs. The steaks are fantastic and the atmosphere is refined but relaxed enough that you can have a good time having an intimate meal or dining with friends.

A couple other highly recommended places -

- De Cero Tacqueria on Randolph and Halsted - a fantastic selection of unique tacos to try.

- Marche near Randolph and Halsted as well - delicious affordable french food. This is a great place to have your first experience of a prix fixe menu that won't destroy your wallet.

- The Drum and Monkey on Taylor and Loomis - great fish and chips from some expat Brits who are easy going and fun to talk to.

- The Twin Anchors at Sedgwick and Eugenie - A noted restaurant with enough Frank Sinatra stories to shake a fist at. This was also the bar featured in The Dark Knight. The ribs are slide off the bone great, the beer is affordable and the atmosphere is warm and cozy. Expect to wait a little while for a table, but relax and enjoy yourself and the time will go by fast.

Mar 21, 09 1:46 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

In the old part of San Sebastian, Spain a place called La cuchara d san telmo. They got a foie gras and a solomillo (I forgot what beef part this is but its damn good, more on the lean side) pincho that are great.
Its def a different sort of place bc the pinchos are made upon order rather than being made in advance.

Prob my favorite place in the area.

Mar 22, 09 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
wrecking ball

chicago - lindy's chilli

Mar 22, 09 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
lexi

teipei taiwan- dim sum at grand hotel, steak on sizzling platter and shaved ice with cane syrup, sweet red bean, glutinous rice balls and almond tofu at the iilegal midnight markets
one person size shabu shabu in the basement level of sogo
beef noodle soup shops- the dark kind with hand pulled flour noodles
shao long baos at a street vendors for breakfast
grilled corn by movie theaters- they have more taste and harder kernels that you have to eat slowly one at a time during movies
cabbage grown in high altitudes in the spring water mountain resorts.
egg cooked by natural steam vent dug in hole in ground in mountains
sashimi from live fish at mountainside fish market - all of the different kinds of sauteed tiny clams
fresh sugar canes

ninbo, china- vegetarian feast at a beautiful buddist temple with the monks
tea eggs at any street vendor
sweetest peaches ever deliscious white peaches

san francisco- boulevard, a dungeness crab at franciscan, anzu, yank sing

new york- snacks paradise on mott st in china town, hudson bar and library bar, indian place around the corner from there

koln, germany - i liked the indian restaurant and chinese food which is different than american chinese food. large cutting board with all the different roast pork and cabbage (don't remember the names of any there)
the architecture was the best there...not so much the food

mobile, al- best raw oyster bar at wintzel's

houston- the modern, shaved ice with toppings in the china town area

new orleans- stella, bayona, mufelletta at central grocery, le petite grocery, crossant d'or, nirvana, best sushi in new orleans is at horinoya, bennachin, brunch at cafe amelie and their crushed blackberry lemonade, bbq shrimp at snug harbor. wiener snitzel at jager haus, Sucre', tacaria corona

Mar 23, 09 9:20 pm  · 
 · 

yes on the central grocery muffuletta. and dinner at galatoire's. pimm's cup at napoleon house.

Mar 23, 09 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

tacky jack's, gulf shores, alabama - sunset over the gulf and shrimp po' boys

Mar 23, 09 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
lexi

also
in merida, yucatan - clear chicken lime soup is addictive! and guabana ice cream, shrimp and avacado the avacados were very creamy, various kinds of melon juice in many places were very refreshing in exteremely hot weather.

Mar 23, 09 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

1981, Puerto Vallarta, ceviche from a stand on the beach.

1991, Vienna, kasekreiner from any of the stands in the First District, after midnight/clubbing

2000-present: Philadelphia, Vetri Ristorante serves perfection

Mar 23, 09 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
lexi

napoleon house has great late night food too. also mimi's

tacky jacks! I haven't been. I'll try it next time! I heard there was a very good fresh seafood market now near pensacola.

Mar 23, 09 10:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: