Archinect
anchor

Cover Letter for job hunting - any advice please!

Hello everyone,
I am done with putting my resume together for job hunting for architecture firms in UK, and now moving on to writing cover letters -

Does anyone have good advice? (anything - like "must items to mention", etc... to look professional) I would like to get specific advice for the letters to architecture firm, not general ones for any job.

I would appreciate any of your help.

Oct 10, 04 4:36 pm
archiphreak

just do an internet search for "cover letters"...there really is no specific criteria specifically for "architectural" cover letters...it's the same general information, just a different subject....good luck

Oct 11, 04 10:53 am  · 
 · 
zip-zip

for the most effective response - tailor your cover letter to each firm

if you are replying to a posting, make sure you use the EXACT words they used in their posting. it grabs their eye to something they want. this may sound trite, but when u get hundreds of letters/resumes, it cuts to the chase... keep it SHORT and SIMPLE; no one has the time to read about what got you interested in architecture or why you love the firm so much.

the menu:

appetizers/salad: two sentences on how or why you are applying.

first course: follow up with three or four sentences about what makes you qualified for the position, while directing them to the resume for further info.

second course:and finish with two sentences telling them you have a portfolio ready and to thank them for their time.

dessert: all your contact information (you can't blame them for not responding if they don't have the right contact info down)

Oct 11, 04 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
truth

leave out any comments about what a great asset or how beneficial you would be to that firm, list your experience and qualifications, let others decide how beneficial you'd be...if at all.

Oct 11, 04 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
zizi

I don't agree with these postings. When I write cover letters, I like to put in a specific example of a project that I liked of theirs, and why. A little flattery never hurts, and if you do it right they'll feel like you understand them and are sympathetic to their work. If you do it wrong, they'll just think you're overzealous which is still not so bad.

Oct 11, 04 9:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: