Archinect
anchor

so what exactly are 'work samples'?

chaos3WA

hi!

i'm a 2nd year m.arch I student and am starting to think about trying to find a summer internship. please don't give the prototypical archinect snarkiness - yes, i searched the archives, and yes, there were some threads somewhat related to my question, but i'm looking for more specific and up to date information. thanks!

so:
if a medium sized, high-design firm, on their website, says for summer internship applicants to email them a resume and 'work samples', what exactly does 'work samples' imply? a 5-page PDF that's basically a mini-portfolio (under 3mb, i assume)? one page per project for 5 projects? should i include prior professional projects that i wasn't a lead designer on? can i include group projects that i worked on at school (which ranged from group sizes of 2 to 10)?

any advice on how to do this if i'm not so confident in my work? my previous strategy in other years was just to send a resume to get their interest going (i.e. from the name of my school) but to hold off on work samples (because i think they're not so good) until they're already interested in me from my resume. but if the website says send work samples right away, i guess i have no choice, right? put it all on the table at once? and i have to hope that my work is just good enough for them? p.s. these firms are far away from me and there would thus probably be no face-to-face interview for the summer job.

thanks!

Feb 28, 09 10:50 am
drums please, Fab?

you've got the general idea. it doesn't have to be 5 projects especially if you're not confident in all of them. i always think a 'sample' can be 2-3 projects since it's not your full portfolio.

yes you can include group projects and especially professional projects (which is what they usually want to see). just clearly note in the text what the situation was and what your role in the project was.

Feb 28, 09 11:10 am  · 
 · 
cadcroupier

If you are applying to a "high design" firm like you say...I'd imagine they want to see some high design. So yep, just flop it on out there and keep you fingers crossed. If you don't have confidence in your own work, how do you expect someone else have confidence in it for you? Would this translate to not having confidence in the firm's work that you help produce?

No one is expecting that as a 2nd year student you are a brilliant architect by the likes of which no one has ever seen before. A portfolio showing some talent and promise along with a well written cover letter is all any firm can expect.

Include your best 3 projects. 2 from school and 1 from work. List the team members and a brief description of your contribution.

so yeah flop it out on the table...all at once. The worst response you'll get is no response.

cc

Mar 1, 09 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: