Archinect
anchor

Interview Question :: CD Sheets

plattenbau

What is the best way to present CD-related drawings for a job interview. The interview is tomorrow and I didn't find out until Friday so it's probably too late to incorporate them in my portfolio. My thinking is to print out the pages from a CD set relevant to my work at the firm at 11x17. I am wondering whether I should remove the firm/client/consultant/project names.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Feb 22, 09 2:08 pm
archie

Your plan is good. Leave on the firm name and the consultant. Remove the client name or the client address if it is a sensitive issue, for example a private residence.

Make sure you have permission from the old firm to use the construction drawings. Don't leave them with the new firm unless you have permission to do so.

Feb 22, 09 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

If im reading correctly ..you want to print out examples of your work at the place your interviewing? ...I would advise against this ..IMO it looks unprepared and unprofessional.

I would go to a 24 hr. kinkos tonight or a local print shop in the AM (if you have time).

I just recently landed a job and we talked for close to 1.5 hours about one really good set of constrcution documents that I had put together. 11x17's should be fine.

Then again, you did just find out about this interview on friday so printing them there might be acceptable.

Good Luck Tomarrow!

Feb 22, 09 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
raj

kinkos!! anywhere but the office

Feb 22, 09 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
plattenbau

i will be printing them at kinkos. i would never print interview documents at the firm's office but thanks for double checking.

when i was at my former employer, the office manager allowed us to stay the day to pull materials from the servers, even providing CD's on which to burn the data.

thank you for the advice.

Feb 22, 09 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

thats a honest employer

Feb 23, 09 4:24 am  · 
 · 
narmer

I think CD's are essential to getting architecture done and are often kind of neglected in the interview process.
While you interview, see if you can look at some of the prospective employer's CD sets as well, it can give you some insight into how the employer does things. The quality and level of organization of the drawing sets can tell you a lot about the skill level present in the office.

Feb 23, 09 9:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: