Archinect
anchor

acrobat woes

so, in preparation for my mid-review on monday, i'm throwing together a booklet of the project's development, references, and previous work...

it's one of our requirements, and in a way, it's good preparation for putting together my portfolio... which i'll need to start doing soon.

anyway, one problem i keep having is that the indesign file gets real heavy real quick, and the resulting pdf is always huge and nearly crashes the computer (on my laptop or at school) every time.... unless I'm real patient and let it crank through everything it needs to do without so much as touching the mouse...

anyway, i've been through all the 'how to reduce file size' tutorial, which usually only go as far as "save AS" and "compress your images" -- as well as the rule-of thumb that vector graphics are going to be a lighter load than raster....

however, my indesign file has several pdfs linked in -- a few of which have a TON of linework (for example, one is a site plan with a point cloud where every point has a line drawn to its 40 closest neighbors) -- so i'm begining to think it might be better to flatten those files to 300 dpi tiffs rather than keeping the pdf/ai files linked as is....

so my question for you all is this - is there an easy way to do this automatically, taking into account the scale at which i've placed things in indesign? or am i going to have to go back and generate raster images for every heavy vector file i want to use?

Feb 14, 09 1:38 am
holz.box

isn't there a tab to downsample image size when printing pdf?
opi image replacement?

Feb 14, 09 1:59 am  · 
 · 
randomized

you can also spread your work over more indesign files and after the pdf's are created combine them together again into one file.

Feb 14, 09 7:13 am  · 
 · 
threshold

Is the PDF meant for on-line viewing or are you planning to print it?

If on-line you could down sample all your images to 72ppi (monitor resolution) or if you want people to be able to zoom in a bit go to 150ppi.

If you are planning to print, are you outputting professionally, from your own printer or are you thinking people will download the PDF and print themselves? I ask because 300ppi it pretty hi-rez for the average inkjet/laserjet. You can get by at 150ppi at output size.

Feb 14, 09 11:44 am  · 
 · 
bRink

#1. how many ages i this? #1. while in indesign, right click on a page or image and set image display settings to a low quality... In design is just for layout, since they're all references nothing is live, it shouldn't really slow down too much, just don't preview all your images in high res...

#2. when outputting to pdf, don't print to pdf, use file --> export --> pdf...

#3. Open your pdf is acrobat 8.0. From acrobat, go to Advanced --> PDF Optimizer. Using this, you can reduce the resolution of your various images, choose what objects to lose your vector or editable qualities, etc. which can make your pdf much smaller... You can keep using this PDF optimizer until your happy with your file size... Check all of the boxes to get rid of all of your editable info and flatten and crop your images, etc... reduce everything but keep res nice... In my experience, put the thing at 150 dpi is fine for printing and screen, and the file won't be insanely huge (depending on your number of pages)... Or you can reduce the res even more...

Feb 14, 09 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: